All Steel Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advantage of all steel tire case construction is that they can be re-capped several times.

This would obviously reduce the number of used tires in the system.

Laws in some jurisdictions prohibit re-caps on the steering tires.

The size choices of steel case light truck tires are limited to 19.5s and perhaps 2 16s and 17 inch.

Some of the 16 and 16.5 military tires are of all steel case design.

What are the disadvantages of steel tire cases and why have they not caught on

as a popular alternative to polyester?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
The advantage of all steel tire case construction is that they can be re-capped several times.

This would obviously reduce the number of used tires in the system.

Laws in some jurisdictions prohibit re-caps on the steering tires.

The size choices of steel case light truck tires are limited to 19.5s and perhaps 2 16s and 17 inch.

Some of the 16 and 16.5 military tires are of all steel case design.

What are the disadvantages of steel tire cases and why have they not caught on

as a popular alternative to polyester?

First, the reason why steel casings are retreadable isn't because of the steel casing. It's because the tires have been way overdesigned. Using the steel as a reinforcing material is just an easy way of achieving that.

Second, the overdesign adds considerable cost. In truck tires, it is worth the extra cost because of retreading. Truck fleets consider the additional cost an investment. In passenger car and light truck tires, that cost isn't something that consumers are willing to pay - witness that some LT tires come in steel casings, but sell in very small quantities, mostly to commercial operations.

Then there is the weight. Which sort of leads to Rolling Resistance and fuel economy issues. Did I mention ride quality?

Nope, on the balance, consumers don't like the compromise - PLUS - the cost of retreading a passenger car tire (along with all the handling involved), results in a tire that costs nearly as much as a new tire.

It's unfortunate, but it just doesn't work.

I live in a snow-belt near Sun Peaks Resort, BC, that is why re-capped tires caught my interest.

The obvious problem of putting a tread like Bandag's BDRW on a light truck case is finding one that will stand up to the task with out experiencing "case failure" due to the very heavy tread.

Three ply off-road cases are a minimum for the job.

I'm not above routing through used tires to find what I'm looking for.

It is a shame to see all those perfectly good cases going to the co-gen plant.

Another application for re-caps would be off road rally racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back