All season tires with snow capability

I was waiting at a Costco the other day for my family and they had some oddball looking Michelin tires stacked that had the snowflake on a mountain symbol on the sidewall. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be all-season tires. Weird too as they had B traction rating (which is wet traction), an A temperature rating, and a 640 treadwear rating.

After looking it up they're the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

mi_crossclimate_2_full.jpg
I have + model. No huge mountain snow here, it works. For tough jobs, you should have chains..It can be loud on rough asphalt. Summer bias tyres. 3pmsf is important.

I've been running 245/55-19 Michelin CrossClimate 2's on my 2014 AWD 300 5.7L for the past winter since last Nov. We don't get a lot of snow here most of time (we get a few good dumps a year,) but they are great in the wet and dry and all around but I haven't driven ton this past year. Seemed to handle slush very well, and are very quiet so far.

I emailed them about the B traction rating, and this was what they told me:
The new Michelin CrossClimate 2 tire is rated a B for traction, which gives in better wear with the limited tread warranty of 60,000 miles. Also, keep in mind, the UTQG rating is used by tire manufacturer's to rate their tires. This is not to say that the A traction would be better. The new CrossClimate 2 tire has a different compound in the tread the provides improved wet and dry braking, including snow performance over the old Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires. The actual compound in the tread is where you get the better performance in wet and dry.

I've been running 245/55-19 Michelin CrossClimate 2's on my 2014 AWD 300 5.7L for the past winter since last Nov. We don't get a lot of snow here most of time (we get a few good dumps a year,) but they are great in the wet and dry and all around but I haven't driven ton this past year. Seemed to handle slush very well, and are very quiet so far.

I also just put these on my new 2020 ecosport. Traded the oem tires in. I did a bit of research on the b rating too. It has to do with braking traction on a locked tire. An antiquated test since most everyone had ABS brakes. I will tell you they handle and stop great and are smother and quieter than most tires.
best handling tire you can get with the snow on the mountain symbol.
I went in to get pilot sport 4 all seasons but bought these instead. So far I am very happy

The new Michelin CrossClimate 2 tire is rated a B for traction, which gives in better wear with the limited tread warranty of 60,000 miles. Also, keep in mind, the UTQG rating is used by tire manufacturer's to rate their tires. This is not to say that the A traction would be better. The new CrossClimate 2 tire has a different compound in the tread the provides improved wet and dry braking, including snow performance over the old Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires. The actual compound in the tread is where you get the better performance in wet and dry.

If you emailed Michelin, then they referred to themselves in the third person - That's weird.

Further, they seem to be implying that you can't compare UTQG ratings between tire brands - and that's just not true. A tire manufacturer wouldn't do that.

So I'm thinking you emailed a retailer and they are doing their usual salesman BS - trying to minimize the negatives and emphasize the positive while obscuring the facts.

I also just put these on my new 2020 ecosport. Traded the oem tires in. I did a bit of research on the b rating too. It has to do with braking traction on a locked tire. An antiquated test since most everyone had ABS brakes. I will tell you they handle and stop great and are smother and quieter than most tires.
best handling tire you can get with the snow on the mountain symbol.
I went in to get pilot sport 4 all seasons but bought these instead. So far I am very happy
Even compared to Pilot Alpins?

Krzyś

Even compared to Pilot Alpins?

Krzyś
A pilot alpin prolly would not be a very good tire in the warmer months. It would be too soft. There are few all seasons with the snow flake but it seems Michelin created a new category with this tire. It performs like a performance tire with the nice ride of a grand touring and has the best winter performance of any all season ever created. Im guessing a true snow ice tire will still do better then In really bad weather places but for 95 percent of people this is exceptional year round and you will no longer need a summer and winter switch up. The tire has a long tread life too. They did their homework on this one.

I was waiting at a Costco the other day for my family and they had some oddball looking Michelin tires stacked that had the snowflake on a mountain symbol on the sidewall. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be all-season tires. Weird too as they had B traction rating (which is wet traction), an A temperature rating, and a 640 treadwear rating.

After looking it up they're the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

mi_crossclimate_2_full.jpg
Thy are not all season, but all weather tires, the all season are really a 3 season tire. by all accounts they are good tires, I have Toyo Celcius as when I bought mine these did not come in 20"

If you emailed Michelin, then they referred to themselves in the third person - That's weird.

Further, they seem to be implying that you can't compare UTQG ratings between tire brands - and that's just not true. A tire manufacturer wouldn't do that.

So I'm thinking you emailed a retailer and they are doing their usual salesman BS - trying to minimize the negatives and emphasize the positive while obscuring the facts.
No, I emailed Michelin directly.

For those that may not have seen my recent post on " Service AWD" I have decided and purchased the Sumitomos.

Nokian aptiiva also holds a lot of promise. Discount tire sells them - I don’t think they are on tire rack. Lower treadlife warranty, likely softer rubber compound.

Michelin marketing reps also blame "antiquated" test procedures for why the CC2 has a B-traction rating, as I pointed that out on their Facebook posts on the CC2.

Would Michelin claim, that the CC2 B-traction rating is superior in the wet and dry (at 45 degrees and higher) than the AA-traction rated Pilot Sport 4S, thanks to antiquated test procedures?

Michelin marketing reps also blame "antiquated" test procedures for why the CC2 has a B-traction rating, as I pointed that out on their Facebook posts on the CC2.

Would Michelin claim, that the CC2 B-traction rating is superior in the wet and dry (at 45 degrees and higher) than the AA-traction rated Pilot Sport 4S, thanks to antiquated test procedures?

I'll grant that all marketing/sales guys try very hard to discredit ... ah ..... unfavorable test results. And I'll grant that it does sound like a non-technical person could have made this reply. And I'll also grant that Michelin tends to think they have superior technology and that the normal rules don't apply to them.

Still, a "B" traction rating should have been something they should have fixed before the tire was brought to market. They shouldn't have to be explaining why the they think the rating is faulty in some why - whether it's because the test is antiquated or there is something peculiar that affects their tire in an adverse way.

Back