All season tires with rim protection for Honda Accord?

This is from Reddit. Probably not all models and you might want to call TireRack, Discount Tire or go to some of your local installers and Costco/BJ's/Sams to see them. Goodyear dealers and Firestone stores are like country wide. KNow the size you want and start shopping/calling. Keep my comment in mind from above. Rubber flexes and unless it's a real small rub, not sure how much it does. Maybe some YT videos will show more if that is one of your high shopping parameters. From the same Reddit post "My continental sport plus tires have that look and “rim guard”. But I barely scrapped a curb and they didn’t work."

Which tyre manufacturers offer rim protectors?

The following tyre brands offer tyres with the rim protector feature: Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin and Hankook.

The tyres with wheel rim protectors will usually have one of the following markings on the sidewall of the tyre:

RFP (Rim Fringe Protector)
FP (Fringe Protector)
MFS (Maximum Flange Shield)
FR (Felgen Ripen)
FSL (Felgenschutzleiste)
ML (Mit Leiste)

TireRack comment so they might have a list. For me but YMMV rim protector would be a far back seat to wet grip, snow if I was running an all weather, dry grip, noise, ride comfort, mileage warranty, cost. Some of those might juggle priority or concessions based on availability of funds and tires.

Last edited:
Also from your original post, you're in Colorado and looking for an All Season that is good in snow. You might want to filter more toward an All Weather from the different brands. How much do you go out in the snow? Plowed or fresh? how many miles per year? How aggressive do you drive for maybe the performance side?

Many of my vehicles will age out on tire before tread wear warranty. Others don't care about age, rubber getting hard etc. If the tread still has depth for 12 years even if only 40k on them they will refuse to buy new unless a blow out. Tires/brakes other stuff for me are a safety thing and not where I want to heavily compromise. Others situations are different. Only thing touching the road and getting me stopped from possibly 80mph with my family in it.

My Michelin Primacy MXV4 lasted over 40k but at 4-5/32 (also from age) were getting questionable in the rain. With my highway use they probably had 15-20k left before "legal" wear bars but I replaced them accordingly. Still less than my insurance deductible never mind the injury potential factors.

Not from what I have seen. Look on the Honda Accord forum site...
Unless its the shadow of picture, the TR picture if you hover around the whole bead does look like it has it ComfortDrive. Maybe not in all sizes though.

YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND GT - DriveAccord user stiller fan uses these as his 3 season and racks up like 100k per year. They rate pretty well for snow grip on TR (He runs full winter though). They rate quiet, good ride and handling especially wet.

Toyo Celsius - all weather looks like it has it also.

In the pictures if you open each one and hover to magnify you can see on many what looks like it. The Conti's seem to be more pronounced. What looks like it to me are PIRELLI P7 AS PLUS 3, VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO, MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S (but discontinued according site), VREDESTEIN HYPERTRAC ALL SEASON, the ones you have CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS, YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND LX, CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR, GENERAL ALTIMAX 365 AW, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS+, MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4, CONTINENTAL PURECONTACT LS, there's more but let your Google-fu run wild.

Last edited:
We have had Continental pure contact and extreme contact on two different cars. Both did well in the snow and got full mileage out of the sets of tires. Not sure why you only got 30,000 miles

Unless its the shadow of picture, the TR picture if you hover around the whole bead does look like it has it ComfortDrive. Maybe not in all sizes though.

YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND GT - DriveAccord user stiller fan uses these as his 3 season and racks up like 100k per year. They rate pretty well for snow grip on TR (He runs full winter though). They rate quiet, good ride and handling especially wet.

Toyo Celsius - all weather looks like it has it also.

In the pictures if you open each one and hover to magnify you can see on many what looks like it. The Conti's seem to be more pronounced. What looks like it to me are PIRELLI P7 AS PLUS 3, VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO, MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S (but discontinued according site), VREDESTEIN HYPERTRAC ALL SEASON, the ones you have CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS, YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND LX, CONTINENTAL TRUECONTACT TOUR, GENERAL ALTIMAX 365 AW, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980AS+, MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4, CONTINENTAL PURECONTACT LS, there's more but let your Google-fu run wild.
Appreciate all this!

We have had Continental pure contact and extreme contact on two different cars. Both did well in the snow and got full mileage out of the sets of tires. Not sure why you only got 30,000 miles
I think I'll get 40,000 or a bit more as I have 5 or 6 32" still. Just not a lot of tread for winter grip. They have been nice tires overall, I just expected a lot more mileage. I rotate at 5,000 mile intervals.

I'd go DWS 06+. They're cheap, quiet and perform well. Chasing max tread life is not always the best move.

Also, with a 50 series tire, you should be pretty safe from curbs. That's a solid amount of sidewall. Rim protectors are hit or miss. I had them on a set of Goodyear assymetrical 2s and the rim protector was huge but on a set of Michelin PSAS4s, it's pretty minor. I wouldn't let the rim protector alone dictate a tire choice... maybe just let it nudge you in a direction if you're stuck between two choices.

Rim Guard seen on Ford Taurus at Walmart today. How about some made in Thailand Landspider's?
Might be size dependent also. The VikingContact 7 on daughters CRV has rim guard, VikingContact 7 on sons Forte doesn't.
1678297077320.jpg

1678297106397.jpg

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but I have a set of the Fullway HP108's in 205/55R16 on my Civic and have had nothing but positives to say about them. Have a set on the way for my 2012 Mazda 5 in the same size now.

OP not gonna like me, but the DWS06 is a fabulous tire. They grip and handle and they do really well in nasty stuff. id say get the DWS06+ if it has the features you like.

or I can pitch bitog’s tenuous darling all-season, the Michelin crosscountry2. The inclement weather performance of the CC2 is great - it’s the best wet-weather tire I’ve ever had, BUT, you won’t get the same lateral grip you’re accustomed to with the DWS06.

I think I'll get 40,000 or a bit more as I have 5 or 6 32" still. Just not a lot of tread for winter grip. They have been nice tires overall, I just expected a lot more mileage. I rotate at 5,000 mile intervals.

This is interesting.
I have a 19 Accord with the same size wheels and the Continental PureContact tires.

They are wearing at exactly the same rate described, and I have the same upcoming winter traction concerns.

I also rotate them about every 5000 miles, so the wear is surprising and disappointing.
I also found the tires just a bit noisy.

Continental is at least consistent.

The tires do handle well, and I attained 40mpg on a trip from Michigan to Tennessee with 4 passengers and an overstuffed trunk.
My Accord is the 1.5T.

That said, I don't like the rapid wear, and won't buy Continental again (other than mountain bike tires).

Bob

Last edited:
Back