All-New 2020 Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by E365
Since they're doing an Edge and Explorer ST, I hope we see an Escape ST. 2.3 EcoBoost and 300+ HP 🤞ðŸ»

IF they offered that with a MANUAL gearbox in AWD (or at the very least a REAL, functional, performance oriented, DSG, like the various Teuton ones out there), it would be the ONLY SUV/CUV I would ever consider purchasing.
wink.gif
19.gif

Looks alot like alot of the other cars in its class, they all look the same. Definitely a hyundai/kia front end, which i always thought was a trickle down Cayenne knockoff. Rear looks like the Evoque but inflated.

Eww, I'll keep my boxy 2010 Escape and they can put that gross looking thing right next to all the other small SUVs and CUVs coming out these days.

My 1.0 EcoBoost works beautifully on 87. I'm glad to see they're putting a 3-cylinder in this new Escape. Excellent engines!

Good catch! I see the 1.5L Ecoboost is not the old 1.5L Ecoboost 4-cyl we are used to seeing. Its a new 3-cyl. Interesting. I'd like to see how much shaking it does. Thats not a lot of cylinders, and its gonna shake.
Fox engine: 1.0L 3-cyl - iron block
Dragon engine: 1.5L 3-cyl - aluminum block
Sigma engine: 1.5L 4-cyl - aluminum block

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
My 1.0 EcoBoost works beautifully on 87. I'm glad to see they're putting a 3-cylinder in this new Escape. Excellent engines!

Good catch! I see the 1.5L Ecoboost is not the old 1.5L Ecoboost 4-cyl we are used to seeing. Its a new 3-cyl. Interesting. I'd like to see how much shaking it does. Thats not a lot of cylinders, and its gonna shake.
Fox engine: 1.0L 3-cyl - iron block
Dragon engine: 1.5L 3-cyl - aluminum block
Sigma engine: 1.5L 4-cyl - aluminum block

According to Wiki, it's the Dragon. Interesting engine. It also has cylinder deactivation.

Copied from the wiki page:

"On 24 February 2017, as part of the unveiling of the seventh generation (Mk8 - UK) derived Fiesta ST, Ford announced an all-new aluminum inline 3-cylinder 1.5 L EcoBoost engine with cylinder deactivation technology.[21] The version of this engine announced for the Fiesta ST produces 200 PS (150 kW; 200 hp) at 6,000 rpm and delivers 290 Nâ‹…m (210 lbfâ‹…ft) of torque from 1,600 to 4,000 rpm.[22]

The engine is based on an expansion of the 1.0 EcoBoost, taking the capacity per cylinder up to 500cc which Ford consider is likely to be the maximum for optimum thermal efficiency.[23] The engine is an all-aluminum design with integrated exhaust manifold, low inertia mixed flow turbocharger and combines both port fuel injection and direct fuel injection.

The engine will be available with cylinder deactivation technology, implemented by stopping fuel delivery and valve operation for one of the engine's cylinders in conditions where full capacity is not needed."

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Fox engine: 1.0L 3-cyl - iron block... ...Dragon engine: 1.5L 3-cyl - aluminum block
According to Wiki, it's the Dragon. Interesting engine. It also has cylinder deactivation..."The engine will be available with cylinder deactivation technology, implemented by stopping fuel delivery and valve operation for one of the engine's cylinders in conditions where full capacity is not needed."
Thing is, when you deactivate 1 cylinder on a 3-cyl engine, you end up with a Harley, complete with the vibes & lope. ... Gotta check this one out with a test drive later. See if you can feel it through the steering wheel, and notice visible vibes when the hood is up.

I hear ya. Running on two cylinders seems to be catching on. Mazda implemented their cylinder deactivation in 2018 with their four cylinders going to two. I haven't heard any negative comments about it though. It only does it at normal cruise with no load.

The only three banger I've heard about was the Mitsubishi engine in their Mirage. I've heard that there is some vibration present.

With this engine having GDI, turbo, three cylinders and cylinder deactivation, I'm sure some members are grimacing at the mere mention of it.

It does make sense to go to exactly 500 cc per cylinder, like in this new 1.5L 3-cyl.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-soon-dominate-automotive-engine-design/
They can chop off one cylinder from a 2.0L 4-cyl for this, and then of course apply the anti-vibration tricks from the 1.0L 3-cyl iron block animal to this new one too.
https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/ford-s-3-cyl-ecoboost-delivers-goods
No balance shaft on the old 1.0L 3-cyl, so assume the 1.5L might get away with it ---> no shaft to add weight and friction. (Flywheel & pulley imbalances to counteract the crankshaft imbalances....)

Interesting reading. Thanks for those sources.

I'm not a engineer nor a mechanic but the idea of creating a imbalanced flywheel to counter the imbalance of three cylinders prompts more questions. Wouldn't each engine have to be custom balanced? I suspect this is not the case. Also I wonder about the other end of the crankshaft. Would there be more stress on that number one bearing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back