All in one printer suggestions

My 10-15 year old HP L7680 inkjet is giving a print head fault, and I've tried the online suggestions with no luck. Probably time for a new AIO printer. I also have a bulletproof Canon B&W Imageclass D320 laser printer/copier that is just as old which I use 90% of the time, but still need something that prints in color and can scan.

The only thing I want that the old one doesn't do is automatic 2 sided printing. The only thing I disliked about the HP was the ink, which runs if the paper happens to get wet. I assume there are no waterproof inkjet inks? I would have to go laser for that? I see the laser ink cartridges cost as much as the printers themselves.

Any suggestions for something with low ink costs like the refillable tank models? Leaning towards a Canon Pixma G7020 at under $300, but can go higher.

I've had good luck with HP's Instant Ink service. It's only available with certain printer models. Basically they send you oversized ink cartridges, monitor your ink levels over the network, and automatically send you fresh ink when you start getting low. You pay a flat monthly fee that comes out cheaper than buying inkjet cartridges yourself. If you print under your monthly allotment, the unused pages roll over to the next month. If you print over your monthly allotment, you get dinged a little (unless you have extra pages rolled over previously). Not everyone likes it, so check it out and see if it works for you.

The printer I've been using with this plan is an Officejet Pro 8610. We've had it about 7 years. I did have to replace the print head earlier this year, which was a little pricey, but I liked the printer so much that I decided to go that route instead of buying a new printer.

I think the HP all in one printers are hard to beat. I just installed a new Deskjet 2755e for my wife. Setup was pretty EZ. Cost was about $85 on Amazon. I use LD Products to order ink online.

Have you considered replacing the print head? We did that once and extended the life of an ink jet printer.

But even with individual ink cartridges (as opposed to replacing the whole set when any colour ran out) I resented the cost of those ink cartridges.

So we currently have one of the "add ink from a bottle" Canons. It's a mixed story. It runs cheap enough but unless you run a full colour test every couple of weeks it craps out. And then there is a big commotion to get it going again. There are ink absorbent strips inside that come out easily enough but weren't able to find replacements. So we put the old ones back. And as it has gotten older the quality of printed images isn't very good.

So our next printer will be a black and white laser printer.

I've had good luck with HP's Instant Ink service. It's only available with certain printer models. Basically they send you oversized ink cartridges, monitor your ink levels over the network, and automatically send you fresh ink when you start getting low.
Doesn't this set off alarm bells with all the privacy experts here? That some big company is monitoring your printing activity and such. Was looking at the HP cartridge-free models and it looks like you control it with a smart phone? You need to have your phone with you just to make a copy?

Epson EcoTank. You will never have to buy ink and will save so much if you do. My grandma used to have an HP Officejet Pro that needed replacement ink 2-3 times a year to the tune of 100 bucks each time. I got her the Ecotank and she's had it for a year and it still has 3/4 of think ink left.

Doesn't this set off alarm bells with all the privacy experts here? That some big company is monitoring your printing activity and such. Was looking at the HP cartridge-free models and it looks like you control it with a smart phone? You need to have your phone with you just to make a copy?
If you're bothered by that, then that can be a show-stopper. I'm okay with it. I've monitored the activity between the printer and the WAN and there is exactly one handshake every 7 days with HP's servers. It's very unobtrusive.

Yep.

The company that Bill and David founded died a long, long time ago.

And what is described above is basically the business model for a lot of tech companies.

Yep.

And what is described above is basically the business model for a lot of tech companies.
Well, according to my firewall, here is the url that my printer connects to once every 7 days:

There is zero connectivity to the WAN from the printer in between that one connection every 7 days. I'm good with it. It's gotta monitor the ink levels to know when to send replacement cartridges.

My 10-15 year old HP L7680 inkjet is giving a print head fault, and I've tried the online suggestions with no luck. Probably time for a new AIO printer. I also have a bulletproof Canon B&W Imageclass D320 laser printer/copier that is just as old which I use 90% of the time, but still need something that prints in color and can scan.

The only thing I want that the old one doesn't do is automatic 2 sided printing. The only thing I disliked about the HP was the ink, which runs if the paper happens to get wet. I assume there are no waterproof inkjet inks? I would have to go laser for that? I see the laser ink cartridges cost as much as the printers themselves.

Any suggestions for something with low ink costs like the refillable tank models? Leaning towards a Canon Pixma G7020 at under $300, but can go higher.
Monochromatic laser HP for me.

Cannon Image Class Laser Multifunction Printers
We have a MF445dw might still be a few around but replaced with newer models. Few years now, never an issue and with a laser printer no such thing as clogged inkjets. This is our first laser for the home vs inkjet. I couldn't ever go back to inkjet. Not that it means the same thing is for everyone.

i used generic ink tanks for cheep on my dead canon, but my simple B+W brother laser is great, would look for a Brother all in one Laser

Yep.

I read an article today about an LG washer that sends data to LG servers every time the owner uses the washer!! The owner disabled the data flow at the router!!!

I read an article today about an LG washer that sends data to LG servers every time the owner uses the washer!! The owner disabled the data flow at the router!!!

Was it something like 20GB of data in the month? I saw a picture about it but was to busy to click to see if it was real or not.

I think the HP all in one printers are hard to beat. I just installed a new Deskjet 2755e for my wife. Setup was pretty EZ. Cost was about $85 on Amazon. I use LD Products to order ink online.
I bought the same HP printer at Target online yesterday for 49.99 and picked it up locally.

Epson Eco Tank…

The 2800 / 2803 is $199, I have seen $179, but does not do double sided….

The 2850 does double sided printing, $299…

Back