Alkaline battery life in storage, 5 or 10 years?

I almost never have 9V leaking, more so the AA or AAA, especially Duracell AA/AAA leaked but I hardly ever buy alkaline AA or AAA, instead LSD NiMH.

I do still buy 9V alkaline, last bunch was an 8 pack of the following Amazon Basics, was $10, 5 years ago and I swapped all smoke detector batteries at the time and so far, none have worn out but my detectors are mains powered, battery is only backup power.

I usually assume a 10 year shelf life even if the package only states 5, though in the context that by 5, or 10 years, a fair amount of capacity has been lost. I don't recall too many situations where a battery was still working 15 years after manufacture date no matter how infrequently the device was used nor how low drain it was. Maybe my stud finder.

9V batteries last forever, this one expired in 2008 and it's still powering my multimeter. When would this have been manufactured? It might not be Y2K compliant!

Energizer is by far the best.

QbWGpPR.jpg

What makes a 9 volt die in a smoke detector that is hardwired?
have 5 detectors. 3 use 9volt+hardwire.
2 have batteries 3 years old(and going strong) the 3rd needs one every 10months.

I only use Lithium batteries. It's not worth cheap batteries.

9 volts are 36.99 for 2 lithium or
5$ for 2 alkaline locally. Since its just for backup (they are hardwired and give low battery notice)
What am I going to be missing saving $32? The light wallet feeling?

Back