Alkaline battery life in storage, 5 or 10 years?

So I was replacing a 9V battery and I usually keep a few in the house (4 smoke detectors, 2 garage opener). I see that HDX store brand from Home Depot has 10 years on the tray / box and 5 years on the clam shell packaging.

Then I go online to search for an answer and I get anything between 5 to 10, and depending on quality and brand. So, what makes 1 Alkaline last longer than the other and which brand last how long in your experience? I know Lithium should last 10 and is way more expensive, I don't need that. I just want to see how big of a pack should I buy and keep in the house.

Check it with a multi tester. If it's 1.6 V or better, you're in fat city. My wife buys so many we have them for decades. Almost.

Buy quality ones like energizer, I've had it with Duracell since a watch battery i bought from the store leaked just a few months later and damaged it. There are fakes online but a reputable in store one won't be. They're higher quality to where they won't leak like the cheap ones I've used.

My wife has 24 tea light things she brings out at Christmas - they take a single CR123A.

I put new batteries in around thanksgiving and I am amazed some will quit in a couple weeks, and some will last half way through January - from the same batch of batteries. QC on batteries must be really wide ranging.

Quality has taken a hit lately. In particular, Duracell/Kirkland and of course, Burster brand. (yes that's the accurately named brand that came with my TV remote)

I'd give them 4 years.
Yep, I won't touch Duracell anymore. Its all I used for years, but had multiple leak - in different things and different sizes. I found same reference on another board. I have never had a Energizer leak, but they really don't seem to last all that long.

Buy quality ones like energizer, I've had it with Duracell since a watch battery i bought from the store leaked just a few months later and damaged it. There are fakes online but a reputable in store one won't be. They're higher quality to where they won't leak like the cheap ones I've used.

Duracell doesn’t make watch batteries. Whatever they market is made by someone else.

I store them in the fridge. Theoretically this should make them last longer.

Can create more trouble than it’s worth.

1. Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?​
No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH).​

They do. Look up duracell button cells on retailers like cvs or walmart. Not talking about the coin ones.

They don’t make those either. Switzerland can only mean Renata. But they’re probably sourcing from Japan and China now.

6076d722-ea85-40e7-a205-27fc6577138c

I have a package of "10 year Power Guarantee" Rayovac AA alkalines that aren't that old, and one is already leaking inside of the still sealed package. I bought them at Menards, so they should have been relatively fresh.

High quality stuff, right there.

Back