Alignment (toe) for better highway stability in the winter?

I have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner with a 2.5" lift in the front and have the front toe set at 0. Rear is a solid axle so not adjustable. I'm finding the vehicle to be a bit unstable-ish at highway speeds when the roads have a little snow/ice on them in the winter. Normal dry highway driving is perfectly fine.

As for tires, I'm running some Cooper Discoverer AT/W which have good grip at low speeds.

I'm just wondering if maybe I should toe in a little and see if that improves stability? If so, how much?

Thanks.

Last edited:
the front toe set at 0.

I'm just wondering if maybe I should toe in a little and see if that improves stability? If so, how much?
Driving through snow gives more resistance for the tires which would cause them to toe out. I get that you want to compensate by setting toe in a bit. Maybe try a full turn on each side to start and see how it feels.

If the alignment's right on dry pavement, it's right in the snow. Never heard, ever, of changing alignment for winter.

It is your speed in slippery conditions which is causing the "unstable-ish" condition.

If the alignment's right on dry pavement, it's right in the snow. Never heard, ever, of changing alignment for winter.

It is your speed in slippery conditions which is causing the "unstable-ish" condition.
When roads are slick it exacerbates any alignment related anomalies.

Not here to debate how fast one should be driving in winter conditions, that's largely a judgement call that each driver makes on each situation. But when I have to drive 20-30 km/h less than everyone else on the road that's also a safety issue. The vehicle feels noticeably less stable than others running similar tires, so there's certainly something that could be improved.

Never mind, I see you already addressed this

your tyres are good but NOT real winter snow tyres + that is the problem!!

Toe should never be zero. a bit of inward toe is a stability measure that makes up for the squishy bits in the suspension that deflects upon breaking or bumps. I believe in snow the term to use is bump steer and with zero toe it will be worse. Get to spec toe and it will be better. As was said check components for wear and replace to tighten up. Steering box lash, Pittman arm, Center link, Tie rods etc... check em all for slop.

Yes a little toe-in helps with keeping the car straight. Zoe toe is fine if you don't mind working a tab bit harder to keep the car straight.

I'm running near zero toe at the moment (0.06degrees toe-in on both wheels) and on the highway if there's enough camber going through a turn at 70 mph, I have to counter steer or the car goes to the inside of the turn. With more toe-in this dissappears.

Back