Alex Van Halen's gear is going up for auction

He is auctioning off his collection of drums, electric pads, sticks, cymbals, gongs, his rosewood snares, everything, even selling off his RIAA awards. Some of the proceeds will go to charity but I wonder if he might be sick. He has been really quiet since Edward died, and even before that. Sammy has said that he can't get any response out of Alex either, and he has tried multiple times. But I don't think Alex really liked Sammy all that much to begin with. It seems like Alex would pass his gear down to his son but I have read that his son is not interested in percussion. If Alex is sick, maybe that could also be one more reason why there was no tribute concert/tour for Edward. I understand drumming is a very physical thing and I get it if he just does not want to play drums now. I hope I am wrong but something does not seem quite right with this.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/alex-...struments-and-gear-to-be-auctioned-next-month

Sometimes one’s performance makes one famous; sometimes it’s in name association only. Eddie was the former; Alex much more the latter.

He’ll probably end up donating his gear to the Cleveland Pyramid and claiming the donations as tax-deductible, IMO.

Van Halen: had their moments, several timeless tunes
Van Haggar: probably the more commercial sound, definitely left an indelible mark on rock history.

Sometimes one’s performance makes one famous; sometimes it’s in name association only. Eddie was the former; Alex much more the latter.

He’ll probably end up donating his gear to the Cleveland Pyramid and claiming the donations as tax-deductible, IMO.

Van Halen: had their moments, several timeless tunes
Van Haggar: probably the more commercial sound, definitely left an indelible mark on rock history.

Alex is a Modern Drummer hall of fame recipient. and he is just as talented as Eddie. here is a track showcasing his insane drumming abilities. Alex is a beast. one of my drumming heroes with Neil Peart, Nicko Mcbrain, Phil Collins and Mikkey Dee.

Alex is a Modern Drummer hall of fame recipient. and he is just as talented as Eddie. here is a track showcasing his insane drumming abilities. Alex is a beast. one of my drumming heroes with Neil Peart, Nicko Mcbrain, Phil Collins and Mikkey Dee.

This is just not how it is. Peart was far superior to Alex. Alex is not just as talented as Eddie, who is in the Pantheon. Alex Lifeson is not on the level Eddie was. Both bands were trailblazers and personal favorites, but is still worthwhile showing some discernment.

I more or less put Van Halen with Sammy Haggar after David Lee Roth into the same category as Chicago With Peter Cetera after Terry Kath.

They were OK, and made the best choice they could under the circumstances. But neither were the same. Very good, but not the same.

His drumming, in my opinion, was equally as important to their music as Eddie’s guitar prowess. His snare tone…. Iconic. Check out Billy Cobam "Spectrum" album (1973) song Quadrant 4 song. Same groove as Hot for Teacher. Alex even said he never plays the intro the same. He was an underrated drummer to some extent. Didn't' focus on being ultra technical and approach the instrument as if it were an Olympic sport. Was more focused on the band and supporting the music.

Here is a little more about it, from Mike Anthony. I agree with him, too. Now I don't think Alex is sick or in bad health, it just seems he is done with music, doesn't want to play music again and I sure understand that. Alex was just a human metronome behind his kit and the entire Van Halen band left us a great body of work and a legacy that will never die as long as we keep listening to it.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/micha...g-everything-right-down-to-his-last-drumstick

Jeez, could they have found a worse picture of Alex to use in that article? He looks like the Crypt Keeper.

EDIT: Blocked image :(

Last edited:
Here is a little more about it, from Mike Anthony. I agree with him, too. Now I don't think Alex is sick or in bad health, it just seems he is done with music, doesn't want to play music again and I sure understand that. Alex was just a human metronome behind his kit and the entire Van Halen band left us a great body of work and a legacy that will never die as long as we keep listening to it.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/micha...g-everything-right-down-to-his-last-drumstick

+ 1000000%

Back