Eddie Van Halen's Ferrari is for sale

EVH's Ferrari 550 is going up for auction on Wednesday. Bids start at $125,000.00. I doubt he needs the money, maybe he is only selling because he no longer drives it very much. It only has 28,000 miles on it. It could mean his health is bad enough now that he can't drive the car any more. I doubt we will ever hear any new VH music but I really hope Eddie is doing OK and will still be with us for a long time.

There is some other cool stuff for auction there too, they have a set of John Bonham's drumsticks he used on Zeppelin's 1975 tour, guitars owned and played by Prince and Duane Allman, some Kiss and Elvis stuff. They also have for sale an autographed drum head from Alex Van Halen's drum kit and an autographed program from the VH 1979 tour.

Last edited:
He started collecting cars right after their first record came out and even with no releases in a while, I doubt he needs to sell this one either. I know he's donated stuff in the past with the proceeds going to charity but that doesn't appear to be the case with this car. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe he bought something new and needs room for it ! 😂

I've got a good bit of time behind the wheel of Ferrari 550 Maranello's, as it was a car that my boss loved, he owned a number of them. I'd drive them from the airport to his house or where ever he needed it. I always enjoyed driving them, in it's day I thought it to be a gentleman's car and I really like the driving dynamics as it was well balanced. Front engine, rear wheel drive, adequate easy to handle power and capable of 200MPH (on paper) (a touch less in real life) . Even though today's Mustang GT has nearly as much power, the 550 Maranello is a faster car when at speed.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't need the money. His song writing credits alone give him decent income and the last three tours with the Roth semi-reunion grossed pretty well. David Lee Roth implied he has had health issues last year, possibly the return of mouth cancer, and that there will be no new music or tours in the near future if ever. I think Ed has several "super cars" and I know he had a Lambo at one point. I hope he's not just cleaning up his estate because that would be pretty bad...

EVH has 2 more cars and a Dodge truck for sale now. I could never buy any of these but the Nova is definitely not anything I would be interested in. The Porsche is very cool, I really like the VH logo door sills. I can't help but wonder if this all means Eddie is really not doing well now or is not expected to get any better. I sure hope I am wrong.

Amazing he is still alive. Addicted to smoking and alcohol since age 12, then drugs after that. Hip replacement in 99. Tongue cancer in 2000, lost 1/3 of it. Rehab in 2007.

If you buy the car check it thoroughly for contraband.

Funny how some things from the past stick with you. I remember some time in the mid 80’s listening to an interview with him on the radio. The DJ was a huge fan gushing on him about his talent on the guitar and what I remember most about that interview was Eddy’s answer to him. He told him, in what seemed to be a humble, truthful response with no pretense that anyone could do what he does if they spent as much time practicing as he did.

Back