AK-47 grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, hows everything been?

I just got an AK-47 and I have just been useing CLP as lube.

The looseness of the parts and "rough" action leads me to believe I should be useing a little bit of grease.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think Mobil 1 or Royal Purple grease should do the job very well and one tube should last a life time. . .

CLP or any gun lubricant will work.

Action looseness makes the AK a great military weapon as it is not prone to jam like others.

Only thing I would be careful of is using ammo with corrosive primers. If you do make sure to clean the barrel using hot soppy water for a couple of days in a row to get the stuff removed.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
CLP or any gun lubricant will work.

Action looseness makes the AK a great military weapon as it is not prone to jam like others.

Only thing I would be careful of is using ammo with corrosive primers. If you do make sure to clean the barrel using hot soppy water for a couple of days in a row to get the stuff removed.

Yep, I know all that. Thanks though.

I am just looking for recommedations on some grease. The gun oils are not cutting it for me.

I know the AK can and will run with sawdust as a lube, I just like to go overboard.

Wondering if anyone uses automotive grease or if they spend the extra 200% mark up on gun grease for who knows what extra. . . .

Really? A couple of days with water...Yah right that's not nessacary! Did the Russians and other Reds use water? NO! Use a patch drenched in Windex. Wipe the bolt face with a patch drenched in Windex or water. Much more than the Soviets ever did. They just cleaned them when they were done.

And ah yah I too need a good idea for gun grease for my Yugo Mauser.

And I'm not trying to start a debate you can go crazy with water and it won't hurt my feelings one little bit...

I use Amsoil MP spray on all my firearms, and I also have a Norinco AK in my collection. Never used grease on any of my firearms. I don't find grease neccesary on my AK. Which model AK did you get? Any pics?

Last edited:
The only gun in my collection that I use grease on is my M1 Garand. M1s are always greased not oiled. I use CRC synthetic brake caliper grease (stands up to high temps) on my M1. You have buy this in small tubes that have a nice applicator tip for use on guns.

Just about any grease will work. Just be careful as grease can be a magnet to dirt, dust, debris, lint..... and may be why your AK47 doesn't really need it.

I have a tube of Super-lube grease that I use on a couple of my firearms. I have no complaints or issues! And, the tube must be several years old and only cost 5 bucks years ago at the local hardware store. Definitely cheaper locally:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=934844
And, you'll be able to use it everywhere else that might need some grease.

There are a lot of products that work well without the firearm specific 'mark up', and without the mess of grabbing your zerk's grease gun from the garage.

No grease needed NOR recommended.

I've always used RemLube or similiar light lube on all my AK's, SKS's and AR-15's. The sloppy AK mechanism is the beauty of it.

I have always thought it funny that people think the loose parts fit of an AK47 was a plus, but others criticized the 1911 for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: sj586
I have always thought it funny that people think the loose parts fit of an AK47 was a plus, but others criticized the 1911 for the same reason.

Good point.

I just use Amsoil. I don't get too wound up about using "corrosive" ammo. The thing I love about my AK' is that they are not finicky about being clean. They keep on runnin'. Now my AR's are a different matter.

The AK is perfect. Easily the best weapon design of all time. For that reason alone you dont need to use grease. Loose parts = less friction. So heavy lube is not needed for this rifle. Theres not much you can do to improve the guts in this rifle. Keep using CLP and that gun will be shooting long after your gone. Do NOT use grease. If anything its going to be very messy and harder to clean. Stupid idea.

Originally Posted By: sj586

Why wouldnt that be a plus? Ive never had a jam or any problems with my WASR-10, ever. Back when I was an army MP I had a nice M4 that got a tiny tiny piece of gravel on the magazine into the chamber that ruined that rifle. Plus everytime I used it, it jammed at lease 1 to 2 times per magazine. Loose fitting parts is a plus in EVERY aspect except it bites one in accuracy, thats about it. Why do you think its the best rifle ever made? Most armies but us use them. They get the picture.

Originally Posted By: el_zorro
The only gun in my collection that I use grease on is my M1 Garand. M1s are always greased not oiled. I use CRC synthetic brake caliper grease (stands up to high temps) on my M1. You have buy this in small tubes that have a nice applicator tip for use on guns.
That is a great idea!!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
That is a great idea!!!

Cosmoline would work good too ya know. Something thats actually meant to go on a firearm to lube and protect it. These products are on the market for a reason. You guys are just thinking too hard. The products on the market are great for firearms. If our US military didnt think so then they wouldnt issue CLP to every soldier to clean and protect his weapon to keep him alive. I dont think we would issue a soldier something that attracts moisture, dirt, collects carbon, and is a complete mess to clean and apply. CLP lifts this carbon right off the gun!!!! So apply and wipe off! Some of you guys need to go through basic or something to get this through your heads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Cosmoline would work good too ya know. Something thats actually meant to go on a firearm to lube and protect it. These products are on the market for a reason. You guys are just thinking too hard. The products on the market are great for firearms. If our US military didnt think so then they wouldnt issue CLP to every soldier to clean and protect his weapon to keep him alive. I dont think we would issue a soldier something that attracts moisture, dirt, collects carbon, and is a complete mess to clean and apply. CLP lifts this carbon right off the gun!!!! So apply and wipe off! Some of you guys need to go through basic or something to get this through your heads.

Cosmoline is to be used for storage only. NOT lube.

Just because CLP is issued to the us troops does not make it good. All it means is it meets the requirments and it was the lowest bidder price wise.

If the government wanted to get great stuff for our troops, they would scrap the M16 platform, also known as the JAM O MATIC and get a quality firearm that can be shot in sand, dirt, and mud. Our troops died in Nam and they are dying in the sand box because of what the government issues our troops. Infact, if they government thinks it's good, that means you should run the other way!!!!
28.gif

Last edited:

If this is silicone based then it provides minimum protection on metal/metal applications.

And most countries use the AK because they are cheap and easy to get.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

And most countries use the AK because they are cheap and easy to get.

Very true. The fact that they are one of, if not thee most reliable assault rifles ever is just the iceing on the cake!

** For anyone intrested, I picked up some Weapon Shield CLP and a tube of Weapon Shield gun grease. Stuff works great. I shot about 300 rounds out of the AK and got it so hot I could not touch the rifle. The grease did not gum up and continued to work perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back