AK-47 grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another WS convert!
thumbsup2.gif

Remember to only clean with the WS and not other products. It will continue to get easier to clean the more you use it.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: el_zorro
The only gun in my collection that I use grease on is my M1 Garand. M1s are always greased not oiled. I use CRC synthetic brake caliper grease (stands up to high temps) on my M1. You have buy this in small tubes that have a nice applicator tip for use on guns.
That is a great idea!!!

Cosmoline would work good too ya know. Something thats actually meant to go on a firearm to lube and protect it. These products are on the market for a reason. You guys are just thinking too hard. The products on the market are great for firearms. If our US military didnt think so then they wouldnt issue CLP to every soldier to clean and protect his weapon to keep him alive. I dont think we would issue a soldier something that attracts moisture, dirt, collects carbon, and is a complete mess to clean and apply. CLP lifts this carbon right off the gun!!!! So apply and wipe off! Some of you guys need to go through basic or something to get this through your heads.
Garrands require grease at certain points.

Have you ever seen the tiny little containers of "rifle grease" that are WWII vintage and are designed to fit inside the buttstock of an M1 or M1A? They are clear plastic with yellow screw in caps. You can find these at gunshows for ~$0.25 each and they are great for storing in your rifle or range bag.

Contrary to what others have said, it is quite alright to grease your AKM rifle as your probably aren't dragging it through the sand and dirt of a battlefield!

After cleaning, I always apply a small amount of this grease in all of the locations where I see signs of wear. It isn't required for proper function, but it will reduce the wear on these surfaces and it WILL make a difference in how 'smooth' the action feels/cycles.

Originally Posted By: HyperJinx
I have never known anyone to ever use grease on a AK.

I just tried some Hoppes #9 gun grease on my WASR-10 and Im not impressed. The heat from the bullets pretty much caused it to sludge up. Sticking with CLP.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Oil flyes all over the place during the firing phase and the grease stays put. My preference only.

Durango

You're using too much oil if it's flying all over.

Put grease on the receiver rails. Put it on the bolt carrier rails and cycling it back and forth several times spreads it on the receiver rails. Put a bit on the rear trunnion where the return spring goes into.

Tetra grease works great. No gumming, no slinging around... CLP for the trigger and safety.

BTW Soviet SOP was to use both grease and oil on these guns.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Put grease on the receiver rails. Put it on the bolt carrier rails and cycling it back and forth several times spreads it on the receiver rails. Put a bit on the rear trunnion where the return spring goes into.

Tetra grease works great. No gumming, no slinging around... CLP for the trigger and safety.

BTW Soviet SOP was to use both grease and oil on these guns.

I also lightly grease the bolt on the locking lugs and where it rotates inside the bolt carrier.

On large working parts a grease is good. I'd just use an automotive lithium grease as it's cheap in the can and will last you ten years!!!! Small parts any oil is fine technically.

Durango

When lubricating an AK;
Field strip, and then using a q-tip drenched in ANY decent oil (it doesn't care what you use unlike an AR-15,) wipe the shiny parts of the action and receiver where you can see the parts have been wearing. On the bolt and bolt carrier you might want to put one drop of oil here and there (on the locking lugs and grooves) and maybe wipe a little with the q-tip around the edges where you see the shiny wear points. Lastly, be sure to drench the q-tip and run it along receiver guide rails for the bolt carrier. Be sure to do the top and bottom surfaces of the receiver guide rails.
Reassemble and work the action manually about 10 times to distribute the oil.
Thats all it will need.

Receiver rails, bolt and rear trunnion need to be greased, not oiled. That's what they taught in Soviet military and high school NVP (Introduction to Military Basic Training) classes.

I don't guess putting grease would hurt where Ursae mentioned, but in my experiences (with a well built AK with proper Communist Block mil-spec heat treated parts) simple oiling will prevent ALL discernable wear.
Just beware of circumspect U.S. made receivers and other parts that aren't heat treated properly. In such case you would be well advised to wisely choose a Moly fortified Extreme Pressure lubricant of some sort. I've also seen some of the cheaper post-commie era gun parts (a-la Romanian) put on the U.S. civilian market with improperly heat treated bolts, etc.
Its hit or miss with the AK's we are allowed to have here based on the BATF's whims. But if you get a good one with all the proper mil-spec parts, then the [censored] thing will run forever, and flawlessly too! Just keep an eye on the shiny wear spots I mentioned. You'll notice if you've got a "soft" part in there. It will wear away a little every time you take it shooting. The good ones just turn silver and basically STOP wearing.

Ursae,
I'm curious about lubing the rear trunion. I've never lubed any of mine. Maybe its a wear point I've overlooked. Or is there another reason to grease it? Do you have any links to the Soviet recommendations you've mentioned? I'm just going on experience and instinct when I've lubed my AK's.
Any info on this would be much appreciated.

No links handy, but this is what we were taught in high school NVP classes by a retired Soviet colonel.
grin.gif

Spring guide will slide some when AK is fired. Oil will not stay put in the trunnion, it's too thin, but grease will.

PS if you can find a Russian made Vepr, buy it. It's a Caddy of AKs (I think it is better than a milled Bulgarian).

The translated Soviet armorer's manual calls for light oil and never mentions grease.

It also calls for diluting the oil with kerosene when temperatures go below -50 degrees centigrade.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back