Aisin AW-2 low viscosity ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
WS ATF doesn't go forever, this mineral based oil starts deteriorating around 40000 and turns coal black by 60000 especially if the transmission is driven hard under hot condition and with no transmission oil cooler.

I'm just starting to step change out my WS and the shifting at this point is sort of remarkable,,no stumbles, never lost..brake and go spot on...sure your opinion should not include subjective? your links suggest thinner is a problem.

Someone is bound to come in here and say that Maxlife will work fine for any non-CVT automatic.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Someone is bound to come in here and say that Maxlife will work fine for any non-CVT automatic.

Yep. I'm waiting in 3,2,1............
crazy2.gif

This is a new standard that is supposed to be the next iteration of WS ATF and now coming in the 8 speed transmissions from the factory.

Originally Posted by RoyFJ
WS ATF doesn't go forever, this mineral based oil starts deteriorating around 40000 and turns coal black by 60000 especially if the transmission is driven hard under hot condition and with no transmission oil cooler.

Bing Bing Bing!!! We have a winner!!!!

WS is a horrible ATF fluid. Rav4's burn up WS as low as 22,000 miles like our lease return from an older lady from upstate NY. No hauling, no soccer mom hauling and no hitch. Totally burnt. I now tow with it with an external oil cooler and Redline D6 with 3 qts of LV Redline Racing and regular Racing ATF split to reduce the slip agent of D6 while coming close to matching the viscosity of D6. Stays nice and red and never burnt.

Originally Posted by Mainia

Bing Bing Bing!!! We have a winner!!!!

WS is a horrible ATF fluid. Rav4's burn up WS as low as 22,000 miles like our lease return from an older lady from upstate NY. No hauling, no soccer mom hauling and no hitch. Totally burnt. I now tow with it with an external oil cooler and Redline D6 with 3 qts of LV Redline Racing and regular Racing ATF split to reduce the slip agent of D6 while coming close to matching the viscosity of D6. Stays nice and red and never burnt.

@Mainia What is your Redline recipe for Toyota WS replacement? Please specify proportions.

T-IV and WS are priced appropriately at the local dealership ($6.49 and $9.49) for me to now ask for something that specs the entire transmission spectrum

Originally Posted by dblshock
right, surly Toyota ran with junk WS for 15yrs. to date...laughable.

Exactly, WS is very good fluid and proven too.

Will the stealth marketing folks for various companies please step forward?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic

MaxLife is like Frank's Red Hot Sauce, that ish goes in everything.

This is a new standard that is supposed to be the next iteration of WS ATF and now coming in the 8 speed transmissions from the factory.

Toyota probably won't backspec it for WS. This sounds like Mercon/Dexron ULV in the new Ford/GM 10-speeds that won't be backspeced for Dex VI/Merc LV.

The 8 speed Camry is supposed to be coming with this oil from the factory. This could be the new WS ATF. Its ester type oil. I am currently running with Aisin AFW+ for the Aisin A750F transmission on my FJ Cruiser and am very pleased with the results so far with regards to shifting performance, quite an improvement over factory fill WS ATF.

Are you saying the Aisin AFW+ is better than the Aisin Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-0WS,or type WS ?

Picture from Summit

What is the part number for this new fluid? The local Toyota dealer parts dept. knew nothing about this new AW-2 fluid.

The second is an ester type base oil with high polarity. It was found that the amount of ester base oil used has a major influence on fatigue life. The adsorption of esters onto metal surfaces is thought to improve lubricity in severe lubrication conditions.

That simply means they are using a percentage of ester base oil, not that all of the base oil is ester.

Last edited:
I have a 2010 RX350 which specs WS and I have done 7 drain and fills with MAG 1 Low Viscosity Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and it shifts better than it did on pure WS. I have 75,000 miles now and it shifts fast and smooth. I do a drain and fill of ATF around the same time I do an engine oil change. I do a cold drain and fill of about 2 quarts.

Originally Posted by clutchless
I do a drain and fill of ATF around the same time I do an engine oil change. I do a cold drain and fill of about 2 quarts.

Overkill - WS is a good 60K fluid (so would any modern ATFs)

Buyer Beware
Details of fluid compatibility on the front panel of an ATF container often conflict with the fluid compatibility claims or fluid recommendations on the rear label.,,,,,

Wiki Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back