Aisin AFW+ or ATF0ws???

Looking to change the fluid in my 2 Volvos, which use the newer "WS"fluid . Aisin lists 2 fluids for this, the the AFT0WS, and AWF+. This is a little strange, as the the AWF+ is a 7.4, while the 0WS , from what I can find is a 5.7? Not sure which fluid to go with or if one is better/newer formulation?

I had no idea Volvo was using Toyota WS type fluid.

The good news is it’s pretty readily available and reasonably priced at your Toyota dealers.

I had no idea Volvo was using Toyota WS type fluid.

The good news is it’s pretty readily available and reasonably priced at your Toyota dealers.
Volvo has probably the largest number of different transmissions fluids of any manufacturer I know of. They have transmissions that take Toyota T-IV, Toyota WS, JWS 3309, JWS 3324, Dex III/Dex VI, etc. etc.

JWS 3324 = WS

JWS 3309 = T-IV

Aisin is the largest auto trans manufactuer in the world, Toyota Motor is just one of their customers.
Yeah, I realize how big Aisin is, and how many units they make for various manufacturers...I just didn’t realize the Toyota fluid went into one of (or many) of their vehicles. But I guess that makes sense...keep the same or similar fluid in the units you sell.

the newer "WS"fluid . Aisin lists 2 fluids for this, the the AFT0WS, and AWF+.
Only the ATF0WS is the "WS", low viscosity fluid.
The Aisin AFW+ is for the older T-IV fluid, with normal viscosity.
.I just didn’t realize the Toyota fluid went into one of (or many) of their vehicles.
It's not "Toyota fluid". Toyota doesn't make transmissions or fluids for that matter.
They add the label on them after contracting with Aisin (transmission) and various other suppliers (oil).
In my Toyota that was requiring WS, I used Aisin AFT0WS because it is synthetic. And way cheaper than Toyota fluid from dealership.

My 2014 Diesel Cruze has the Aisin transmission in it. I have a ScanGuage II hooked up and my transmission temps run at 225° F.

From 14k miles I have switched it over to AMSOIL's ATL and it has been running great. I'm at 100k now and going to do another fluid exchange. Basically 4 drain and fills to refresh the fluid. It's crazy that it is running that hot but I guess it is the nature of the beast.

My 2014 Diesel Cruze has the Aisin transmission in it. I have a ScanGuage II hooked up and my transmission temps run at 225° F.

From 14k miles I have switched it over to AMSOIL's ATL and it has been running great. I'm at 100k now and going to do another fluid exchange. Basically 4 drain and fills to refresh the fluid. It's crazy that it is running that hot but I guess it is the nature of the beast.

Do you tow with it? :unsure:

Strange thing is, aisin lists the AFW+ for anything that takes WS.....as per their chart
Truthfully, all their transmissions were designed for the normal viscosity ATF (T-IV) and only after a while they switched to LV fluid WS, like all industry, for fuel economy.
Aisin probably knows a thing or two about their transmissions and that's why they can say it would work.
That kind of made me think if I should use their normal viscosity synthetic in my RAV4.

I would say save your money and avoid either one of those options and just use Maxlife since it's an overall excellent ATF, Aisin transmissions aren't picky, and any T-IV or WS analog is inherently nothing special.

Aisin is part of the Toyota group, while they do operate independently and sell to many other OEM's Toyota is not just one of their many customers. Aisin's relationship is certain much closer to Toyota than to Volvo or VW. Jatco is a similar story, founded by Nissan now sells to many OEM's (is the world's largest supplier of CVT's) while operating desperately from Nissan who own's 75% of Jatco.

Truthfully, all their transmissions were designed for the normal viscosity ATF (T-IV) and only after a while they switched to LV fluid WS, like all industry, for fuel economy.
Aisin probably knows a thing or two about their transmissions and that's why they can say it would work.
That kind of made me think if I should use their normal viscosity synthetic in my RAV4.
Yes the 13 in my sig which calls for WS, has toyota T4 in it now.,,,,about 70k klms on it and due for a change. It does shift very well. I have 20l of maxlife sitting here, I'm going to see how it works with that, and then deside what to put in the 15.

I would say save your money and avoid either one of those options and just use Maxlife since it's an overall excellent ATF, Aisin transmissions aren't picky, and any T-IV or WS analog is inherently nothing special.

Aisin is part of the Toyota group, while they do operate independently and sell to many other OEM's Toyota is not just one of their many customers. Aisin's relationship is certain much closer to Toyota than to Volvo or VW. Jatco is a similar story, founded by Nissan now sells to many OEM's (is the world's largest supplier of CVT's) while operating desperately from Nissan who own's 75% of Jatco.
Ya maxlife is going in. That said i got converter shudder when I put it in an 08 volvo that called for T4. It was poorly maintained when i got it at 300k klms, and had never been changed though, so who knows. I'll try it, and if I dont like it, i'll go back to T4 , or probably the aisin T4 fluid. I'd prefer a syn. fluid. Not trying to save a buck, just want the best fluid. The 13 I want to keep a long time, and the 15 gets tracked.

I use AFW+ for my A750 transmission FJ Cruiser that comes from factory with WS fluid. The AFW+ has given me better performance with regards to shift quality under low temp as well as under high temp than the factory WS.

I use AFW+ for my A750 transmission FJ Cruiser that comes from factory with WS fluid. The AFW+ has given me better performance with regards to shift quality under low temp as well as under high temp than the factory WS.
I would love to try it, but can't seem to source it here.

Back