air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
My Mom has a 19.5 hp Briggs Craftsman riding mower.
I changed the oil and filter yesterday,went with Motorcraft 910 and Valvoline Next-gen 5-30.
I checked the air filter thinking that I could clean it with an air hose.Is this filter a throw away filter or can it be cleaned and reused?
Thanks

Although not highly recommended, you can blow out loose dust with light air pressure, (not to close to the media) then check it with light to see if looks nice and clean. If not, needs to be replaced. I am of course assuming that it is a paper type filter, and not a foam filter. Right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Is this filter a throw away filter or can it be cleaned and reused?

How would I know without the engine numbers?

Get me the engine numbers and I'll tell'ya.

I like the idea that Deere used on my rider-a foam prefilter wrapped around the paper. I can take off and clean the heavy stuff from the foam and the paper lasts longer.

I cut 3 acres once a week in the summer with my craftsman 24 HP intek. It has a foam pre filter and paper air filter. I will pull the filter twice a year a give it a dusting with light air pressure. I replace it every other year along with my fuel filter. so far so good. Im not claiming im right, just stating what im doing. I do however change the oil filter (I use car filters) at every oil change, I know a few that will skip a filter change between oil changes. Ive done it just once and it bugged me..

Buy a new air filter.

But the big question is, why on earth did you use conventional 5W30? Briggs and Stratton only approves of conventional 5W30 under 40 degrees F in the winter. Since you'll be using this in Texas in the summer, you chose the wrong oil. I'd use it as a quick flush and then put the correct oil in it.

The correct oil for this engine is 5W30 synthetic, 10W30 synthetic, or conventional SAE30.

If this is the wrong oil I will drain it.
I thought a 5-30 would be ok since it is a 30 wt oil.
Am I wrong?
Thanks

Am I wrong?
Thanks

straight 30wt is what you want to use in your heat..

Am I wrong?
Thanks

Conventional 5W30 gets consumed very fast in summer heat. While technically it will work, it will also consume very fast and you will likely need to add an ounce or two every time you mow. Since lots of people dont check their oil and will blow up their engine before they know it due to the high consumption, Briggs recommends that conventional 5W30 only be used under 40 degrees F.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/mower-oil-type-and-capacity

Get yourself a jug of synthetic 10W30 and have a multi-year supply of oil and top off oil. Or a gallon of Rotella SAE30 available from Wal-Mart.

I have plenty of oil to use.
I have some Pennzoil Ultra SM 10-30 that I will grab.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Am I wrong?
Thanks

Conventional 5W30 gets consumed very fast in summer heat. While technically it will work, it will also consume very fast and you will likely need to add an ounce or two every time you mow. Since lots of people dont check their oil and will blow up their engine before they know it due to the high consumption, Briggs recommends that conventional 5W30 only be used under 40 degrees F.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/mower-oil-type-and-capacity

Get yourself a jug of synthetic 10W30 and have a multi-year supply of oil and top off oil. Or a gallon of Rotella SAE30 available from Wal-Mart.

Bubbatime... You'd go Rotella sAE30 before T5? I thought straight weight was something to be avoided nowadays...?

Originally Posted By: Finz
Bubbatime... You'd go Rotella sAE30 before T5? I thought straight weight was something to be avoided nowadays...?

You are in the northern USA. The OP is in Texas, in the summer. SAE30 is the cat's meow for his location.

Conventional or synthetic blend 10W30 will work but will consume more in my experience.

In the right operating condition straight 30 weight oil is ideal for OPE. That condition is warm weather
grin.gif
. I use straight 30 weight in my power washer because it's only used in the summer. My generator gets synthetic 5W-30 because it's used all year round. My new snow blower is currently using Rotella T 10W-30, got it cheap. It's stored in a semi heated garage so no problem with starting. When the Rotella runs out it'll get synthetic 5W-30.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You are in the northern USA. The OP is in Texas, in the summer. SAE30 is the cat's meow for his location.

Conventional or synthetic blend 10W30 will work but will consume more in my experience.

Gotcha...didn't think about location

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back