Air Filter @ 67K..warning, GRAPHIC PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
I finally decided to change the air filter on my '05 Ford Freestyle. This is a Motorcraft filter. I installed this filter at 88K miles. I opened the air box up @ 92K and installed a restriction gauge--but didn't change the filter. I did actually visually inspect the filter one a year, but without removing it or opening the air box. I have to lift the air box out of the way to access the transmission dipstick, so I can look inside and inspect the filter without actually opening the box.

The business end:

[img:left]
wu5mxl.jpg
[/img]

Pleats opened up:

15nkpcg.jpg
[/img]

Top side:

2luf7k9.jpg
[/img]

The filter is 3.5 years old. I was going to go 4 years or until the restriction gauge told me to change it; however, since I had to open the box up once--and since I never went this long on a filter before--I was a bit concerned about the gasket material. I should mention that the filter gauge didn't move at all. The restriction was never more that 2kPa. I tested the filter minder when changing the filter and it works fine. My general thoughts:
-the gasket was fine, still pliable and no cranks.
-visually, it looked terrible on the underside--like it would be "choking the engine"
-I didn't need to change it. But, since I already opened the air box, I did. I probably won't open the box for another 5 years.

Given my climate/conditions, I probably don't need a restriction gauge. Time/gasket life will be the determining factor, not dirt. I plan on going 5 years on the next one, or if the filter gauge hits 4 kPa (which I seriously doubt will happen in 5 years). YMMV and all that. It's just not very dusty here, and the climate isn't harsh on gaskets.

Flame away!

do you get any initial restriction on a new filter after a WOT run? I installed a filter minder on my mazda 6 with a new filter it shows about 7" h2o restriction. I figure the red zone might be for big diesel engines and not a little 2.5 4 cylinder. I am wondering at what restriction should I change the filter at?

Originally Posted By: E150GT
do you get any initial restriction on a new filter after a WOT run? I installed a filter minder on my mazda 6 with a new filter it shows about 7" h2o restriction. I figure the red zone might be for big diesel engines and not a little 2.5 4 cylinder. I am wondering at what restriction should I change the filter at?

I plan to change the (OEM) filter in my Matrix at 11", which is about a 3% drop in pressure & power.
The filter currently is between 8 and 11" with 37K miles.
I don't know what the restriction is for a new filter because I installed the minder after the last filter change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back