Aftermarket Substitute for KIA Long Life Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
.... What is this "Asian Vehicle" coolant anyway? Not saying it is, but sounds like it could be marketing by Madison Avenue type folks?...

Certainly no madison avenue type, but based on a fair amount of reading I don't believe it's marketing hype.

Since you asked, if it matters to you what differences in AF types are you can read the links below ( not from "Madison Avenue") as they give a good summary of the differences in AF. Second link talks specifically about 2eha used in some AFs like the universals. If after reading you still believe "Asian Vehicle" AF is strictly marketing hype, your conclusion.

All that said, your vehicles you should use what you want. Your call.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/cooling-system-service/

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Zerex Asian Vehicle. Same as OEM at two thirds the cost. Even better at some Walmarts.

This would work great. The problem is it only comes in 50/50. If you do a distilled water flush of your car, then fill with Zerex Asian, your final concentration will be approx. 70% water / 30% antifreeze.
That was not what I experience when I did the first drain/flush and refill with Zerex Asian. The residual distilled water in my cooling system mixed with the 50/50 Zerex Asian wasn't enough to cause a change in my coolant tester.Opening up the radiator and both block drains almost completely drained the system.Regards

Thanks. That was a lot of information, and a lot of good information. But actually, I'm still not completely clear about this stuff. Wow. I'm not at all sure I understand this?

Seems like there are two types of coolant, the newer style OAT (including dexcool types), and the older style silicate. I can't see any reason for the adoption of the OAT other than extended drain intervals. Is this right? Why not just drain and fill on a regular basis with the silicate like I've been doing?

Gotta include this: I drain and fill with regular Prestone in my 2006 Chevy Aveo every 30K miles. After 205K miles I get a very small leak near the water pump. I swap out the water pump and find that the cast iron block where the water pump seats and seals with an o-ring is slightly corroded causing the leak. Does this show that Prestone is maybe not all that great, or is it just evidence of the impermanence of all worldly things?

I'm definitely going to need some help here.

Three actually: IAT, OAT and HOAT. Typical "green" antifreeze is IAT, "Dexcool" is an OAT and most modern "extended drain" coolants are HOAT. Even the cheap, green coolants today are safe for aluminum. It basically comes down to service life... I generally use Zerex G-05 (HOAT) in everything I own (following a drain/flush if necessary). It works, readily available and inexpensive. However for motorcycles I'll use an "Asian" mix (no silicates).

All EG coolants can be mixed, but it can affect service life (depending on mix).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back