Aftermarket exhaust

Back around 1999, a friend asked me to help him hot rod a 1991 Camaro RS he had picked up. Car was spotless. It had a 305, 5 speed, manual seats and windows, ac and was black with a black interior. We went quick and easy and swapped a ZZ4, Tremec 5 speed and a stronger rear into it.
When it came time to pick an exhaust, we went with Edelbrock headers that fed into a single 3" cat and then went back as a single 3" pipe to a transverse muffler and then exited at the bumper as duals. The car was SO LOUD the first time we started it up. I was apologizing to him as he was twenty years older than me and couldn't imagine he wanted his car that loud.
Well, he did like it that loud. His wife didn't but oh well. He drove that car 15 years like that.

Not a fan of loud exhaust. I do like a nice tone though. Wanted something slightly more than stock, but not as raspy. The coyote in the Mustang is tricky, its really loud and raspy. Tried Magnaflow that was too much drone. Went with Ford Performance by Borla, touring edition. Perfection! Nice and deep below 1500, no drone on the highway. Its a center resonator with 2 rear mufflers, similar to stock setup.

IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1418.jpeg

I have aftermarket exhaust on four of my vehicles.

1970 Monte Carlo with a 396 big block has duel exhaust with no name turbo mufflers that sound pretty good.
1998 K1500 with 5.7L has a Borla Cat-back duel out the back. It's been on the truck since about 1999 and sounds very good. Does have some drone.
1998 K3500 with 7.4L has a Flowmaster cat-back with a 50 series muffler. Sounds decent but could stand to be louder IMO. It's a duel in single exit system.
2014 Mustang GT. It has a GT 500 cat-back system with single tip GT 500 mufflers and an over the axle pipe with no resonators out of a 2013 GT 500. The GT 500 mufflers I believe came from Ford Racing but has Ford part #'s on them. It sounds very good to me. I originally installed a Roush axle back exhaust on it but it became kind of loud after awhile and is why I got rid of it.

Gibson cat backs on the F150, Dodge Van and Ranger. Gibson headers on the Ranger. All pipes naturally went a half inch larger in diameter. Nice and quiet until you get on it.
I don't like the sound of Borla's unless on euro sports cars.
Glad the wife is happy with the new exhaust. You know how the saying goes...

I had a 96 Tbird with a supercharged mustang GT PI engine swapped into it and a vortech blower.

It had a bassani exhaust. Very drony on highway trips it would actually make my head ring.

Remember the adage, “LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!”
Loud pipes lose rights.
Loud pipes make laws.

My Challenger is surprisingly loud, stock exhaust. Caddy is quiet despite 3" duals...high-flow cats, the largest mufflers the chassis would fit (I think they're spec'd for a truck), and a pair of cheap glass-packs as resonators.

Loud pipes lose rights.
Loud pipes make laws.

My Challenger is surprisingly loud, stock exhaust. Caddy is quiet despite 3" duals...high-flow cats, the largest mufflers the chassis would fit (I think they're spec'd for a truck), and a pair of cheap glass-packs as resonators.
Might be what I had when I dualed out a SBC pickup with Walker Quiet Flow mufflers sold for the old 454 LT’s … not much noise until WOT and a nice moderate sound then. Fairly cheap way to get a free flowing grownup exhaust

I had a 96 Tbird with a supercharged mustang GT PI engine swapped into it and a vortech blower.

It had a bassani exhaust. Very drony on highway trips it would actually make my head ring.

Yeah, my flowmaster 40's droned on the Mustang. That's one of the really nice things about this setup, on the highway it's almost as quiet as stock and zero drone. No weird noise when the MDS kicks in either.

I also like it quiet, as long as the performance is there. The Yamaha has an aftermarket pipe but I bought it like that.

I've hated every Flowmaster I've ever heard from inside the car. They all drone horribly to me. I've always preferred a good glasspack if I want a loud vehicle, which at this point I don't when I'm on the road. My CBR could've sounded better (to me) at higher rpm with the right exhaust, but I commuted on it and didn't want the extra noise or attention.

I was amazed at how quiet the GT500 I drove the other day was. It sounded really nice, but was NOT obnoxious in the cabin at all.

This vid has 2 of the all-time best-sounding exhausts (I'd say 2 of my personal top 10-ish):

Back