Aftermarket distributor question for 93 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
While working on the timing belt/water pump project I discovered an oil leak around the distributor which has bathed it in oil. Looking at replacement options from local parts places like AAP and Orielys and/or mail order from Rock Auto which offer the following brands. A1 Cardone, Toughone, Autoline and Richporter. If anyone has experience with any of these brands I would appreciate any feedback that is available. Beck/Arnley is also offered by AAP and Rock Auto however the price is substantially more than the other options listed above.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

I assume this is the 2.2 5SFE 4 cylinder - the O ring around the distributor that seals it to the head is bad about getting hard and leaking. It makes a big mess! Actually all the O rings are bad to harden and leak. The distributor, oil filter mount and adapter, and oil pump gasket on the front of the engine all have that problem.

on high mileage 2.2's the o ring on the outside of the distributo leaks but on high mileage ones the inner shaft oring leaks also bathing the coil in oil. i think you are wise to replace the whole unit.

i would see if you can get oem off rock auto?

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
on high mileage 2.2's the o ring on the outside of the distributo leaks but on high mileage ones the inner shaft oring leaks also bathing the coil in oil. i think you are wise to replace the whole unit.

+1. When oil soaked, these coils tend to crack their plastic covers, and eventually fail. I have changed out a few.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: caravanmike

+1. When oil soaked, these coils tend to crack their plastic covers, and eventually fail. I have changed out a few.

I had the coil go on my 1994 at about 190K miles.

Thanks for the input. I failed to include in the original post it is the 2.2 L engine. With it being soaked in oil it seems like replacing the entire unit is the best course of action and the one that bring the desired peace of mind. My original one failed after the gaskets failed at about 110 K.

Michaelluscher - thanks for some direction on the brands I should look for. Since I am borrowing a car while mine it out of commission ordering online is not ideal.

See if you can get one remanufacturered by the OEM supplier. Typically it would be a Denso part, but not every electrical part of a Toyota is Denso.

I can't recommend any parts store brand ignition distributor. Typically they only last 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back