Aftermarket CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota CVT 2017 Corolla. I can get OEM fluid, but if I take to an independent shop they will use either Idemitsu or Eneos CVT fluid and they charge about $100 less for a drain and fill and about $40 less for a brake fluid flush. Any harm in mixing those aftermarket fluids in the CVT with a drain and fill? I'm assuming, given their quality level, it's fine. I'm not OCD, so I just want some old fluid out, new fluid in. And just want something that will work. Don't really care to bring my own fluid and all that silly stuff. If it's that big of a deal I'll just go to Toyota dealer. Confirm for me it'll be just fine. 😉

Did a drain and fill on my Subaru CVT in the spring using Valvoline CVT fluid. No problems and runs the same as always. I would trust the 2 brands you mentioned as long as they are spec'd for your CVT.

I agree it's likely those fluids will both work fine. But for $100 of my money I'd pay for the OEM fluid. Especially on such a new car with a lot of life likely left in it.

We'll use the dealer for the CVT fluid change on the Outback while its in warranty. I'm thinking CVT fluid is pretty specific to each transmission so I won't use anything else until I do some research on it. You don't really get a second chance if the belt/chain slips.

Toyota CVT 2017 Corolla. I can get OEM fluid, but if I take to an independent shop they will use either Idemitsu or Eneos CVT fluid and they charge about $100 less for a drain and fill and about $40 less for a brake fluid flush. Any harm in mixing those aftermarket fluids in the CVT with a drain and fill? I'm assuming, given their quality level, it's fine. I'm not OCD, so I just want some old fluid out, new fluid in. And just want something that will work. Don't really care to bring my own fluid and all that silly stuff. If it's that big of a deal I'll just go to Toyota dealer. Confirm for me it'll be just fine. 😉
Make sure what fluid they use is compatible with Toyota WS.
Toyota's CVT's do NOT use "CVT" fluid. Not saying either of the two you mention are non-compatible with WS but make sure.

The independent shop is going to use a fluid they know is going to work. Is genuine Toyota fluid any better? Only if it makes you feel better IMO.

I just ran the last 4qts I had on hand of Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid through my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT @ 56K miles. I'll be beyond the 5yr/60K power-train warranty the next time I drain and fill it, so I'll likely buy a "suitable for NS-3 use" fluid next time unless it's the same cost as NS-3.

I've run 20 qts total fluid through this CVT since I bought it as an ex-rental with 24K miles on it. If it does die, it's not going to be from lack of fluid maintenance.

Amalie / Wolf's Head CVT worked perfect in a friend's 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander @117K.
The original fluid was the color of dark maple syrup.
I'd use it in my own CVT if I had one.

However, I'd go with spending the additional $100 in a newer vehicle too.
I bought real FZ (ZF?) from Mazda for Sis' car.

Subaru manufactures four different CVT fluids for current model cars, none is compatible with the other, and Valvoline is not approved to replace any of them. Subaru intentionally makes their CVT fluids different colors so even a Subaru technician will not mistakenly use the wrong Subaru fluid in a vehicle. There is no way I would use non-Subaru CVT fluid in a Lineartronic transmission.

Subaru manufactures four different CVT fluids for current model cars, none is compatible with the other, and Valvoline is not approved to replace any of them. Subaru intentionally makes their CVT fluids different colors so even a Subaru technician will not mistakenly use the wrong Subaru fluid in a vehicle. There is no way I would use non-Subaru CVT fluid in a Lineartronic transmission.
Also Subaru is the ONLY manufacturer that makes its own Transmissions, so no other CVT is equal to those and universal fluids may not work. I'd use Subaru's own.

That is quite interesting to learn....

Question is.... Who is Honda's OEM fluid supplier in Japan ???

Eneos made by JK Nippon could be... JK Nippon is one of the largest blenders in Japan for vehicles over there.

But maybe not... Maybe it's Idemitsu or Motul ?? Or someone else ?

I agree with you though... Wouldn't go off the reservation in THIS circumstance.

Reactions: hrv
Also Subaru is the ONLY manufacturer that makes its own Transmissions, so no other CVT is equal to those and universal fluids may not work. I'd use Subaru's own.
Not true!
"Honda has long built nearly all of its own automobile transmissions, unlike many other automobile manufacturers which often source transmissions from external sources."

Honda may(now & again) use an automatic tranny made by another manufacture such as the ZF-9 Spd however they too in fact build all of their own in house automatic transmissions as well.

Subaru CVTs are also a royal pain in the arse for your average weekend warrior to spill and fill. That being the case I'd for sure use a fluid I didn't have to touch often.

I've been out of the Subaru game for a few years and was not aware of them having four different CVT fluids now. I was only aware of the standard green juice and the high torque orange colored fluid.

I know there are aftermarket alternatives to the Subaru green. Lots of reports of people using it with no issues.

A couple months late, but found time to get this done finally. Scheduled for a couple weeks from now at the dealer. He confirmed pan drop and clean, filter replacement. So that reassured me.

What are the 4 for modern cars ?

No, Hyundai makes almost all of it’s transmissions for both Hyundai and Kia. They make their own CVT, 2 dry dual clutches, and 2 wet dual clutches, and a handful of ATF pumpers. I can only assume they build all of their manual trans. I think the Kia Stinger is made by ZF.

Last edited:
GM made all of their own domestic transmissions, automatic and manual, for decades. Muncie, Saginaw, Turbo-Hydramatic Division. Ford and Chrysler made their own automatics. Claims that Subaru is the only one is kind of... not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back