Aftermarket Alternators for my sable

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Unknown Reman (PepBoys) is going bad (prior owner) after a year, the diodes failed a test, but it still works, just has a hard time starting off at first, but once it restarts all is good, and only after sitting a while does it have issues.

I have a choice between a brand new AC Delco unit for 182 USD+Ship, A brand new bosch for 191 bucks, a remy reman for 130 with an 80 buck core, 167 bucks plus 60 core for a motorcraft reman, or 137 with a 87 buck core for a bosch reman

WOuld i be better off going new bosch/ac delco...or reman motorcraft

Pepboys alternators are lifetime warranty. You may want to call them before you buy another one. Also given the choices you have listed, I'd go with the Motorcraft. In my experience the only good thing Bosch makes is wiper blades. Acdelco just rebadges things, they don't make anything.

The other option is looking at a BBB unit from Rockauto.com

A few weeks ago my alternator went out so I went to advance auto parts for another. The first one they gave me lasted 4 days, then I noticed all my gauges were going crazy. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was being charged with 16.6 volts. I said holy manure! my experience with alternators is they quit making voltage, not the other way around. That one cost $139 and was a rebuilt unit rebuilt in mexico. They gave me another to replace it and I was a little leary, as I was going on a trip the next day.But it's been fine for 3 weeks now. I guess you get a bad one every now and then.,,

depends on how easy it is to change.. if its easy dont sweat it so much..

if its a huge pain in the rear.. buy the best you can find.

we ended up putting a 130amp AAP reman on the 2005 ranger its been working fine.. since its a 20min job I'm not too worried if it dies in a year or not.

The truck is a work truck(and only vehicle) so it couldnt be down for a day for the factory one to be rebuilt.

I have always had good luck with AC-Delco. That is generally what I use when I replace alternators and starters and RARELY have any come backs. The only thing is that your car might blow up with a GM aftermarket part in it :p

Try rockauto with the discount code. Worth while many times.

It's either a bearing problem resulting from wear or a regulator/brush problem which is easily replaceable on most units. Why change the entire unit when you can just pop the regulator/brush pac out the back and replace? You could try the MANIACELECTRICelectricmotors.com Had one in service for three years now.

Last edited:
Your alternator may be perfectly fine.
There is no indication at all that the alt is bad.
This sounds like a bad battery.
Get battery rest and running voltage tests.

Autozone ran their alt/battery tester on it. All was good, battery had proper voltage, alternator was putting out proper voltage, just it read diode failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back