Aftermaket Leather Wrap Steering Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
The wrap fits like a glove. As a matter of fact, I really had to stretch it hard to get it on the wheel. I drove like that for couple of days i.e. before stitching. It was not slipping at all. Also the width of the wrap is exactly matches the thickness of the steering wheel.

This was my present to the van on her sweet sixteen birthday :)

Looks very nice, it's almost a custom fit for your car.

Mine is too long and too wide for S2000. It was very easy to put on the wheel, it was very loose when it's on the wheel. I ordered 1" shorter and a little narrower from the same seller, hopefully it will fit better. As of now it's better than the original thin rim, but it could be better with the right size.

If it took 2 hours with 1-skip it would take at least another hour without. The cost of the cover is nothing compares with the time you you work on it. 3 hours to do the work(no skip) is valued at $150-200 to me.

I was worried that without the skip, double thread would have run short.

I now really need to fix the dashboard and instrument lights on the van. Bunch of the bulbs need replacing.

I almost bought this Lemonbest cover until I read the fine print, this cover is PU synthetic leather, not genuine leather.

The look may be the same but the quality is much different, especially to the touch of you hands. There is no better feel than a genuine leather, including wood steering.

Long time ago, I had purchased genuine leather wrap for 83 Honda. In few years, it started getting sticky and pealing. I had also had to really stitch that through the leather.

Regardless of the ebay listing, I am having hard time believing that he actually is selling "genuine" leather wrap for $8.00 shipped.

I didn't stitch through the leather, I stitched through the thread just like it was shown in the linked video.

The Ebay listing was for the extra thread, not the cover. I bought the covers(1 and just ordered 2 more, 1 medium and 1 large)) from an Amazon marketplace seller "Chslycxc".

It's clearly stated "Genuine Leather" on the product page and it feels like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016O57...ailpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KIGT...ailpage_o02_s00

How did they sell Genuine Leather steering cover for $7.50 shipped from China is something I don't know.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I didn't stitch through the leather, I stitched through the thread just like it was shown in the linked video.

For stitching through leather you'd need what's called a "cutting point" leather needle. I suggested the curved upholstry needle, because the holes are already in the leather, and because the curved needle makes sewing of this type much easier, but please go ahead with a straight needle. No skin off my nose needle [censored] in my fingers.
laugh.gif

Long time ago, I had purchased genuine leather wrap for 83 Honda. In few years, it started getting sticky and pealing. I had also had to really stitch that through the leather.

Regardless of the ebay listing, I am having hard time believing that he actually is selling "genuine" leather wrap for $8.00 shipped.

That was probably one of the first Wheelskins sold. I believe they came along just about that time or so, it is possible that early on they only marked the places to stitch with indents where holes should go, then when it became obvious that customers were having difficulty they started perforating for ease of stitching.

Last edited:

I just received the "genuine leather" 13 inch steering wheel wrap made by "Audew". It was a touch small for my wheel and while stretching it on, it ripped. Hahahahahaha, it's not leather. It's plastic coated fabric that looks and feels and even smells like leather. But it's cheap fabric and not particularly strong.

Would not have worked anyway. As it's way too wide for my wheel.

tSJ2Ip5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back