After oil change. Noticed particles on oil dip stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Yesterday I changed my girlfriends cars oil. She drives a 2017 Mitsubishi outlander sport w/ the 2.4L engine. I go by what Mitsubishi recommendeds 7500 miles. I use 0w20 as recommended by Mitsubishi. The vehicle has 25k miles on it. First oil change was done at 1500 miles. The rest 7300-7500.

Previously used Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w-20 and a Fram ultra synthetic oil filter. And now it's running Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and a Wix XP oil filter.

Well after changing the oil I noticed particles on the oil dip stick. I have attached pictures to show the particles the best I can. I'm wondering what and why they are on there and what I should do?

Thanks.

20190519_184855.jpg

20190519_184911.jpg

20190519_185246.jpg

I would be tempted to drain it out and take a good look at it. Perhaps filter it through a coffee filter and put it back in. Maybe....

Take out the dip stick and try to look inside and around the dip stick tube, maybe the tube itself is dirty. That is the only thing i can think from an engine that new.

If it bothers you, drain it and have it analyzed. Refill with new oil. I don't think anyone can tell you with over the internet what that is. A lot of people will volunteer what they think they know. But they don't have a sample of your oil, or any laboratory to examine it with.

Accept what you see and get away from the 7500 oci imo. Go to 5k miles, and see how that does. Whether or not the oil is still "serviceable" at 7500 isn't the question, what is the question is are the fresh oils with the detergent package at it's strongest cleaning away conramination left behind the older oil. Maybe you have poor flow, hot spots, poor pvc system, whatever, clearly new oil was cleaning some crud. Time will tell if there is a serious issue, until then lower oci until that stops. Is that a di turbo? If so this is a large problem, if not it is managable at this point.

Originally Posted by LeoStrop
Take out the dip stick and try to look inside and around the dip stick tube, maybe the tube itself is dirty. That is the only thing i can think from an engine that new.

I agree with this. It's very likely the cause.

Most likely transferred from the dipstick on removal and/or re-installation. I would wipe it clean and recheck the oil, looking for it again. If it bothered me enough I'd swap out the oil.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Small pieces of carbon that didn't drain out with the old oil would be my guess.

Yup. Oil filter will catch it. Or maybe Mobil1 is doing it's cleaning (just kidding)

Apologies - late to the thread... demarpaint is correct. I have the same vehicle - albeit not the "sport" version - and the transfer can happen. Especially since the dipstick is so recessed into the plastic cover. Same thing can happen with a ~97-03 honda cr-v.

The filter should catch those I would think. Seems odd though, maybe it's some carbon that got knocked loose inside.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I also vote for debris inside the dipstick tube.

Just run it. The filter will catch any crud that huge.

+1 not much flow in a dipstick tube, good place for varnish etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back