AFM Delete

So many questions here.

That truck with 300,000 plus miles is worth almost nothing. Why did she agree to a $9,000 dollar repair? And what shop advised her to do this? And worse, actually did the repair? Because even for the worst, most untrustworthy of places, they wouldn’t do that and then a week later tell her that she needs an engine. Was this a sentimental thing? some people get attached to things, like vehicles. Was that it?

And the other thing I really question is, why didn’t she go to you first? It looks like you have a lift, tools, a shop. You know what you’re doing...why not at least go to you for mechanical advice first? Maybe not do the repair, but at least ask you or your wife advice?

And lastly - she’s going to pay a shop $9,000 grand and not sue them for faulty repairs? We’re talking $9,000 dollars and they reused the head bolts? They obviously also misdiagnosed the repair. What exactly was this shops diagnosis of needed repairs and faults? Because it sure sounds like she has some recourse in this matter, or at the very least could make life very difficult for that repair shop.

It sounds like there is a lot more to this story, or at the very least, there should be. And this poor women is battling breast cancer right now? Oh my god, feel bad for her. And if I’m a lawyer I’d feel pretty good about her winning some, if not most of that money back. Heck, if I owned that shop I’d give her most of her money back, just out of the thought that her story could ruin my business. Never mind because it’s the right thing to do.

My brother put a GM reman engine in his 07 Tahoe after an AFM lifter failed and it ate his cam. If I remember right, The grand total was 7 grand with new mounts, water pump,hoses, etc...
Genius didn't disable the AFM after all that.

How much is a crate engine for one of these? Thinking that would have been cheaper than the 9k "fix" anyway. certainly better....
I paid under 7K for a crate turn key LS6 some years ago for a kit car I was messing with, the prices have dropped on many crate engines since then, this engine is under 5K for example.

So many questions here.

That truck with 300,000 plus miles is worth almost nothing. Why did she agree to a $9,000 dollar repair?
Probably for similar reasons as my friend that I did an AFM delete for last year. In her case she is a single mom that can barely make her house payment on a single income. She had an AFM lifter rotate in the bore, and was quoted $7300 to replace the engine at her trusted shop. They did not want to chance just replacing the cam and lifters. $7300 is basically the value of her Suburban, but a payment on a replacement vehicle was just not possible. $1200 in parts and a few days of labor at my leisure later it’s running better than it has in years.

Upon reading and seeing this thread; two things come to mind immediately: First off, there are laws that govern the universe and one of them is "what goes around comes around." Clinebarger, sir, you are indeed a Saint! If there were more like you in the business, it would change public perception. Second off, I'm no lawyer, but what this place did to this woman is richly deserving of prosecution! With her receipt for services rendered plus your pictures, my opinion is that she should rightfully ask for a full refund from this shop. If she doesn't get positive results quickly, perhaps the local television news station might have a human interest story?

Second off, I'm no lawyer, but what this place did to this woman is richly deserving of prosecution! With her receipt for services rendered plus your pictures, my opinion is that she should rightfully ask for a full refund from this shop. If she doesn't get positive results quickly, perhaps the local television news station might have a human interest story?
I agree. They are hacks at best. Need to be put out of business because they appear to be predatory in operation.

Probably for similar reasons as my friend that I did an AFM delete for last year. In her case she is a single mom that can barely make her house payment on a single income. She had an AFM lifter rotate in the bore, and was quoted $7300 to replace the engine at her trusted shop. They did not want to chance just replacing the cam and lifters. $7300 is basically the value of her Suburban, but a payment on a replacement vehicle was just not possible. $1200 in parts and a few days of labor at my leisure later it’s running better than it has in years.
And that might be worth the risk/cost, replacing cam, lifters and AFM delete if the vehicle wasn’t 13 years old with over 300,000 miles. A friend does the repair for a fraction of the cost and you pay them something. Nice of you to do that.

But you don’t do a $9,000 dollar repair on a vehicle that is 13 years old, on a vehicle with over 300,000 miles and worth maybe $3,000-$4,000 bucks. You do what you did, repair it and hope for the best through a trusted friend or something (if you have one). Otherwise you cut you losses and buy a Kia or something, with a $150 a month car payment. And that stinks but that’s the reality for a lot of people.

This thread aptly highlights both ends of the spectrum on a blend of skill, conscience and compassion. Your impeccable attention to detail and master workmanship is clearly on display as always, but so is what is clearly a big heart and drive to not only what is right, but to right somebody else's wrong. Bravo sir. I can only hope that this other shop, that clearly represents everything on the far reaches of the other side are able to be held accountable for their misdeeds. Taking advantage of an unemployed cancer victim? There's a special place in hell for people of their ilk.

The tool she needs next calls himself The Hammer

BDD934BF-73F0-4887-A7EA-75C929882D1D.png

Where do you get the ECM reprogrammed after the motor AFM delete?

And that might be worth the risk/cost, replacing cam, lifters and AFM delete if the vehicle wasn’t 13 years old with over 300,000 miles. A friend does the repair for a fraction of the cost and you pay them something. Nice of you to do that.

But you don’t do a $9,000 dollar repair on a vehicle that is 13 years old, on a vehicle with over 300,000 miles and worth maybe $3,000-$4,000 bucks. You do what you did, repair it and hope for the best through a trusted friend or something (if you have one). Otherwise you cut you losses and buy a Kia or something, with a $150 a month car payment. And that stinks but that’s the reality for a lot of people.
I didn’t ask for or receive compensation, nor expect anything. Sometimes you do that for people you’ve known for half your life, and consider them family.

I’m not saying I fully agree with spending $9k on that repair, but there is more to vehicle ownership than straight financial consideration. Show me a car you described that has the utility of a Suburban or Avalanche. Sometimes you need more than just an a-b transportation appliance. At least I do.

Reactions: JC1
Back