AE Haas recommends oil pressure to decide weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post, Ken2!

Very few people on this site realize that oil supply pressure doesn't have much relation to the load carrying capacity of hydrodynamic bearings.

why not let dr haas worry bout breast implants and liposuction and just run the oil your manual or engine builder specifies?

the viscosity thing has been beat to death

Originally Posted By: electrolover
why not... just run the oil your manual or engine builder specifies?

Because this is the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum, not Bob Is The Owner's Manual forum?

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Originally Posted By: electrolover
why not... just run the oil your manual or engine builder specifies?

Because this is the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum, not Bob Is The Owner's Manual forum?

lol.gif
point taken

11.gif

Wow! Thanks, so much, for the awesome response. My manual says 0w20 in US/Canada and 5w20 in Mexico/Puerto Rico. I want to use Pennzoil Ultra and when I called today the representative says they still don't have an eta for the 0w20 PU. There shouldn't be a problem if I go to the 5w20 till they release the 0w20, right? I'm worried about breaking in the engine with the thicker oil since I only have 800 miles on my car.

I know my trucks happy cruising zone is 1500 rpm, so I should have 15 psi oil pressure? Then that would mean about 8 psi at idle?

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I know my trucks happy cruising zone is 1500 rpm, so I should have 15 psi oil pressure? Then that would mean about 8 psi at idle?

Maybe if you had WD-40 in the crankcase... If you only have 15psi at 1500 RPMs, I'd consider that a serious problem...

For all the people challenging Dr. Haas as "just" a plastic surgeon...

What are "just" you?

How are "just" you qualified to comment and express opinions on lubricants?

To my knowledge, none of "just" you have put as much energy, money and effort into understanding lubrication and trying to help others do the same.

I don't say he's always right, nor the end-all-be-all authority, just that he deserves more respect. If you want to pick apart his arguments, great. I love to read that stuff. You aren't winning any arguments, making any points nor showing any character by making the focal point of your argument, "he's just a plastic surgeon" or some variation of that statement.

About that 10psi/1000rpm rule; forget you ever heard it.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
"As thin as possible, as thick as necessary."

Jim, once again you are in my head! Some try to classify me in the "thicker is better category", others in the "thinner is better category". I live in YOUR category. Adding to the Dr. Haas thing.....yet again I think like you. Give the guy more respect. He may have as much, if not more, time invested in the "hobby" of engine lubrication as most BITOGers.

Thumbs up!

Originally Posted By: crinkles
he's a plastic surgeon. not an automotive engineer. no disrespect intended.

What was that advise we used to hear growing up? Oh yeah.... if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

About that 10psi/1000rpm rule; forget you ever heard it.

Thank you and it's like I never ever heard it starting now!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
For all the people challenging Dr. Haas as "just" a plastic surgeon...

What are "just" you?

How are "just" you qualified to comment and express opinions on lubricants?

To my knowledge, none of "just" you have put as much energy, money and effort into understanding lubrication and trying to help others do the same.

I don't say he's always right, nor the end-all-be-all authority, just that he deserves more respect. If you want to pick apart his arguments, great. I love to read that stuff. You aren't winning any arguments, making any points nor showing any character by making the focal point of your argument, "he's just a plastic surgeon" or some variation of that statement.

I agree.

A surgeon playing gentleman tribologyst is not as dangerous as a tribologyst playing a gentleman surgeon. To his credit, he does what he preaches in the best tradition of medical tradition. He inoculates himself with his experimental serum. And he uses some fine vehicles for that. After all, Sir Isaac Newton was an alchemists among many other things. I just don't subscribe to his ideas. Still, my hat is off.

Haas is one of the reasons why I have tempted fate by using a lighter lubricant in my Shelby for street use. Ford recommends 5W-50, but I have proven that is too heavy for street use. I am now using 10W-30. Awaiting a UOA soon.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
Haas is one of the reasons why I have tempted fate by using a lighter lubricant in my Shelby for street use. Ford recommends 5W-50, but I have proven that is too heavy for street use. I am now using 10W-30. Awaiting a UOA soon.

How have you proven that? Do you mean that you've been using a lighter oil and the engine hasn't seized? Or some other means?

Who cares if Haas is a plastic surgeon? Are you saying he's a one-trick pony? How many of you got formal education in something you don't even do for a living anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back