Advise on oil for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 85 Jeep Cherokee with 160,000 miles with a 2.8L V6 that doesn't consume oil and will be used for winter trasportion. Most of the driving will be in town from 10-20 miles per trip. My question is would a dino 5W-30 work for -35F(the extreme)start ups, or am I better to go with a synthetic?

Whoops, I didn't see your -35F statement before.

In those temps, you need to go synthetic.

[ September 15, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I think you are "better off" with a syn at those temps; whether you "must have" a syn is another story. Is the vehicle garaged? How often does it get below -25ºF? How often do you want to change your oil? Since you drive it for 10-20 miles at a time (at least that is the way I intepreted your comments) you eliminate some of the problems you might encounter in winter conditions. If it is garaged, doesn't get below -25ºF very often and you plan to change it at 3mo/3000, you can probably do OK with dino 5W30. I would use the best dino you can find, however, in which category I would put Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil or Formula Shell.

[ September 15, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I agree with pscholte's take on it.
If however it is not in a garage, maybe not plugged in, or if, like me, a bit of overkill makes you drool, consider that last winter I ran RedLine 5W30. This winter I will be trying the German Castrol 0W30.
Joliet may be cold, but Winterpeg is stuff that fables are made of
lol.gif

FWIW / hope this helps
Rob

Just curious, is it a standard shift?

If it is, you have a backup plan if it doesn't turn over with the starter.

Well if you go with 5W-XX non-synthetic. And it gets like -30F and for some reason it's not garaged-be prepared to sit. You need to decide your comfort level. I it were me-I'd go with a 0W syn. I'd probably consider the Redline.

I think a good battery is just as important or more than synthetic oil. I have had new batteries at -20f and it turns mine right over with 5w-30 dino.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I think a good battery is just as important or more than synthetic oil. I have had new batteries at -20f and it turns mine right over with 5w-30 dino.

That's true-but the more important issue is what is the oil doing when the car starts. Your engine might be better off not starting
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by porterdog:
I *think* plugging it in (on a timer?) might be cheaper.

Or in my case, plugging it in 4 hours prior to starting PLUS using a 0w30 synthetic oil. Heck, I might end up with negative engine wear!
tongue.gif

I live in MN also where it gets pretty cold. A car that is properly maintained will start in any weather with 5W30 dino or synthetic. I agree that synthetic is better, but I have started vehicles many times in -20+ weather on dino oil. A good battery and proper maintenence make all the difference.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
I live in MN also where it gets pretty cold. A car that is properly maintained will start in any weather with 5W30 dino or synthetic. I agree that synthetic is better, but I have started vehicles many times in -20+ weather on dino oil. A good battery and proper maintenence make all the difference.

He mentioned -35F though, which is below the pour point of a lot of 5w30 dinos.

[ September 16, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

It will be parked outside and it doesn't have a block heater to plug in. The battery is in good condition and it is a manual. Would a dino 0W-30 work since it does not get driven very hard (no long trips or pulling)?

I'd try 5w-30 Pennzoil for a week or two, then try Mobil 1 5w-30. Pennzoil has the best cold weather properties of any OTC 5w-30 dino. But my guess is that the synthetic will turn over much easier. That's what I've noticed in 0, -5 degree weather here in CO.

quote:

Originally posted by Cole:
I have a 85 Jeep Cherokee with 160,000 miles with a 2.8L V6 that doesn't consume oil and will be used for winter trasportion. Most of the driving will be in town from 10-20 miles per trip. My question is would a dino 5W-30 work for -35F(the extreme)start ups, or am I better to go with a synthetic?

I'd use the synthetic in a carbureted engine like that, cause you need all the cranking speed you can get!

quote:

Capable of pumping at -58º F and pouring at -71º F (-50º C and -57º C),

M1 0w-20, the perfect winter time oil.
grin.gif

[ September 17, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

I believe M1 0W20 will prove to be an outstanding oil...I'm just not ready to recommend it except for those OEMS that have said it is acceptable in their current and/or previous engines. I suspect that like the first version of M1 (5W20) it will prove perfectly safe for most applications, but I'm not ready to widely recommend it...yet. If someone has data to substantiate its "universal" applicability, I welcome seeing it.

quote:

I'm just not ready to recommend it except for those OEMS that have said it is acceptable in their current and/or previous engines

I agree, I think more has to be seen whether it is suitable for other engines. My thinking right now after seeing great results in the Ford V8 or V10 is that it will be fine. Time will tell though.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back