Advice wanted for buying a new lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My family and I will be moving into a mobile home next weekend. The lot which the mobile home is on is small and flat. I did not measure the lot but if I had to guess I would think about 100x40. The mobile home is a 70x14. The land is flat and all grass except for the concrete parking pad. I already have a nice string trimmer and now I need a lawn mower. I would like your advice on this. I was thinking that a Wally's World special would work IF I take care of it by changing the oil, keeping the air filter clean, use fuel stabilizer, and keep the lawn mower covered and in good shape. What are your thoughts on this. I ask because I have never purchased my own lawn mower and have either used older stuff that was not mine or lived in an apartment where the landscaping was done for us. My understanding is that MTD makes most of the lawn mowers on the market so brand does not really matter. Is this true? Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: Rand
craigslist for a cheapo?

I thought about that. This might sound strange but I was thinking about new because....well it is new. I am concerned about buying junk. I would not be sure how well the thing was taken care of, starting or running problems. My step dad use to do that and buy old stuff from pawn shops, yar sales, etc and sometimes you would find a jewel but most times it was smoky junk or was hard to start, would run and cut off, etc. For those reason, I would like to buy new while being on a budget of under $150-ish.

If you dont care about it beinf a name brand something. Look for one on Craigslist you can find them for 30-60 in good running shape and you can find them real cheap needing a 15 dollar carb rebuild.

150 for a new one......good luck all that's going to buy is a cheapy thatll last a couple years. Take 150 and buy a good quality used one. Make sure it starts easy runs smooth and and self propell options work if it looks decent and runs good and starts easily its a good mower.

You probably don't want a new lawn mower at the trailer park.

A beat up one that runs like new is better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Try finding a local lawnmower repair shop that sells used repaired mowers, much better than Craigslist

Good advice....and it's local so you can bring it in if something happens.

A yard that tiny is a good case for a reel mower. By the time you subtract the space for the trailer and the parking pad, you're at less than 3,000 square feet to mow. It's a nice flat area that will take less than 20 minutes to mow with a reel mower, and you won't have to worry about starting, gas or oil.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A yard that tiny is a good case for a reel mower. By the time you subtract the space for the trailer and the parking pad, you're at less than 3,000 square feet to mow. It's a nice flat area that will take less than 20 minutes to mow with a reel mower, and you won't have to worry about starting, gas or oil.

I was wondering about a reel lawn mower as well. How well do they cut? I ask because I hear they can be rather picky about the grass you have such as nice grass or weeds. I like the idea of the reel lawn mower....simple and no gas/oil to worry about for such a small yard.

The problem with a reel mower is the type of grass. Fescue grass does well when cut at 3 to 3.5 inches. I don't know if a reel mower will cut well that high?

Originally Posted By: Rand
craigslist for a cheapo?

This is what I did.

I bought a 50$ battery powered Earthwise lawn mower on Craigslist.I plug it in the night before,ready to go the next day!
thumbsup2.gif

I grew up in a trailer located on a lot about this size. The best option IMHO is buy the cheapest Walmart or Kmart special you can get.

Change the oil once or twice a year with any name brand 30 or 10 w 30. The manual will tell you what grade. Dino is ok, use synthetic if you feel wealthy:)

Service or clean the air filter yearly

Always use gasoline stabilizer and buy small amounts of gas at a time. Store gas in a shed or away from the trailer ( important ) Store gas only in an approved container. I like Eagle Safety Cans. They are pricey but you only buy them once in your life.

If you do not have a shed a big rubbermaid container makes a good mower garage. Bungee cord over the engine.

My last Walmart cheapie lasted 17 years and ran great when I gave it away. My new wife wanted a lighter mower.

PS - marriage is highly over rated :)

Originally Posted By: Oldtom

I tend to agree BUT IF she's cutting the grass......

s1mp13m4n, if you're in Tidewater area PM me...

Mower should have a grass catcher that is strong and
Always work safe when using power equipment
I have had both electric cord / motor and gas motor styles
Visit a local mower repair shop and negotiate on a used one after trial of each style

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I grew up in a trailer located on a lot about this size. The best option IMHO is buy the cheapest Walmart or Kmart special you can get.

Change the oil once or twice a year with any name brand 30 or 10 w 30. The manual will tell you what grade. Dino is ok, use synthetic if you feel wealthy:)

Service or clean the air filter yearly

Always use gasoline stabilizer and buy small amounts of gas at a time. Store gas in a shed or away from the trailer ( important ) Store gas only in an approved container. I like Eagle Safety Cans. They are pricey but you only buy them once in your life.

If you do not have a shed a big rubbermaid container makes a good mower garage. Bungee cord over the engine.

My last Walmart cheapie lasted 17 years and ran great when I gave it away. My new wife wanted a lighter mower.

I seem to follow your reasoning. I can not justify a $500 Honda lawn mower for such a small mobile home lot. The reason I am looking at the Wally's World specials are because most lawn mowers have B&S engines on them and the only main difference are features and "bling". My reasoning is that if you do what you can to take care of whatever lawn mower, it will last a decent amount of time. I realize that no Wally's Wor;d special is the quality of a $1000 Toro, but I also do not need such a lawn mower.

I know that a reel mower might be a pain , but target has a fiscars reel mower that has a bunch of innovations that make it 60% easier to push and it has blades that dont need sharpining as often, and has a 4" range. Its like $200 at target

After fuel and oil costs it may come out to a wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back