Advice on Replacing Headlamp Assembly

Joined
Apr 11, 2003
Messages
2,360
Location
Cincinnati
My 2014 Altima 2.5L SL has a problem with deterioration of the coating on the RH halogen headlamp reflector. The RH headlamp is noticeably dimmer than the left headlamp. Apparently, this is a major problem with the 2013-2015 Altimas, with no help offered by Nissan. Not surprisingly. http://www.carproblemzoo.com/nissan/altima/2014/headlights-problems.php I wasted money for new Phillips halogen bulbs before I figured out the problem. The solution seems to be to replace the entire headlamp assembly, as I believe they are a sealed unit and replacing just the projector(s) is not an option. With that, I can go OEM for about $500 and perform the work myself and use better halogen bulbs. However, I was thinking of going with an LED assembly to upgrade the lights. My question is whether or not there is a requirement to change the wiring harness to support LED lighting? I read the thread below which is why I'm not using LED bulbs in a halogen assembly. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5134888/4

AB28216A-63B1-4938-856B-BDA20AF62CD5.png
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,790
Location
MA
Why not just pick up an assembly from rockauto? They're around $92. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4664982&cc=3305930&jsn=1675 Or you can just get the covers on eBay but it's a project to separate out the glue to open them up. Usually you bake them in the oven to loose it, then pry off the old covers and get the glue to put on the new one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Side...-For-Nissan-Altima-13-2015S/143312418798 Usually LEDs use less energy so I wouldn't think you'd have to upgrade the harness. I wouldn't bother though. Technically you should do a lot more stuff to make sure it's not blinding other drivers which you can't do if you're just slapping in a set of lights. Brighter halogens is about the farthest I'd go.
 
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
12,669
Location
OH
If you replace the assembly and get the unit from rockauto make sure it's the CAPA certified one. Night and day difference between those and the others. It's $99 plus shipping on rock. This is what one of the most knowledgeable on here advised me when I was looking to do the same thing. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2014,altima,2.5l+l4,3305930,body,headlamp+assembly,10762
 
Last edited:
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
5,310
Location
Pittsburgh,PA U.S.A.
Go online to headlightsdepo.com Their prices are very low and their quality, selection, and shipping are good. They over do the packaging is a foam filled box so the headlights arrive in good shape. I replaced both headlight assemblies for our 2001 Impala for less than $90 including shipping, and the assemblies came complete with outside lens, reflector, and bulbs. Also go onto YouTube to find videos of how to r&r the headlights assemblies for your vehicle if you have any question about how to do it. Usually it is simple to do.
 
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Messages
1,525
Location
Elizabeth. Colorado
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Go online to headlightsdepo.com Their prices are very low and their quality, selection, and shipping are good. They over do the packaging is a foam filled box so the headlights arrive in good shape. I replaced both headlight assemblies for our 2001 Impala for less than $90 including shipping, and the assemblies came complete with outside lens, reflector, and bulbs. Also go onto YouTube to find videos of how to r&r the headlights assemblies for your vehicle if you have any question about how to do it. Usually it is simple to do.
Also to note about headlightdepot. I've bought 4 sets of cheap-o headlights from them, first three worked great. last set just didn't have a good fit and I broke one trying to install it. They asked me to take pictures and refunded my money, no hassles at all, didn't even have to return them. And their packaging is outstanding.
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2014
Messages
2,655
Location
IL
Originally Posted by Imp4
Go to Pull-A-Part. Find one that's not gnarly. Pay $29.53.
Well if this is a "common defect" then the Yard' parts won't be immune to this defect. I would typically say buy OEM from Nissan. Is there any service bulletins on this? Headlamps are a safety item. IF IT WAS ME, I WOULD PERFORM A RETROFIT Remove headlamps, cut out the back and remove the projectors, and get new projectors from Retrofit Source. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ They got glue, rubber seals, moisture packs, tools and swag to help seal the lights back up! I found a kit that fits your model: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/m...select=&preselect_restrict=1#reviews
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 11, 2018
Messages
4,372
Location
Great Lakes
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted by Imp4
Go to Pull-A-Part. Find one that's not gnarly. Pay $29.53.
Well if this is a "common defect" then the Yard' parts won't be immune to this defect. I would typically say buy OEM from Nissan. Is there any service bulletins on this? Headlamps are a safety item. IF IT WAS ME, I WOULD PERFORM A RETROFIT Remove headlamps, cut out the back and remove the projectors, and get new projectors from Retrofit Source. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ They got glue, rubber seals, moisture packs, tools and swag to help seal the lights back up! I found a kit that fits your model: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/m...select=&preselect_restrict=1#reviews
approved I can't wait to do mine.
 
Joined
Apr 6, 2018
Messages
2,394
Location
Somewhere in time
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted by Imp4
Go to Pull-A-Part. Find one that's not gnarly. Pay $29.53.
Well if this is a "common defect" then the Yard' parts won't be immune to this defect. I would typically say buy OEM from Nissan. Is there any service bulletins on this? Headlamps are a safety item.
If every single OEM headlamp suffered from this problem, there would be a recall. After all, it's a safety item. You may need to sort through the inventory at Pull-a-part but with some persistence I'm sure you'd find a good one.
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2012
Messages
11,790
Location
MA
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted by Imp4
Go to Pull-A-Part. Find one that's not gnarly. Pay $29.53.
Well if this is a "common defect" then the Yard' parts won't be immune to this defect. I would typically say buy OEM from Nissan. Is there any service bulletins on this? Headlamps are a safety item.
If every single OEM headlamp suffered from this problem, there would be a recall. After all, it's a safety item. You may need to sort through the inventory at Pull-a-part but with some persistence I'm sure you'd find a good one.
It's pretty common on many makes. But just like wiper blades are a safety item, I doubt you'd get a recall even if all the headlamps from a manufacturer does it. Probably gets labeled a wear item. Like they don't instantly cloud up so it's not like you don't have warning that the light output is decreasing. With safety inspections, they fail cars all the time with cloudy headlamps. Then they offer to polish them for some amount of money. Same as having a light bulb burn out.
 
Joined
Aug 28, 2017
Messages
2,542
Location
Cincinnati, USA
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
If you replace the assembly and get the unit from rockauto make sure it's the CAPA certified one. Night and day difference between those and the others. It's $99 plus shipping on rock. This is what one of the most knowledgeable on here advised me when I was looking to do the same thing. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2014,altima,2.5l+l4,3305930,body,headlamp+assembly,10762
I second this, though the RH assembly is now $107... then subtract one of those 5% off Rock Auto coupon codes floating around.
 
Last edited:

dkryan

Thread starter
Joined
Apr 11, 2003
Messages
2,360
Location
Cincinnati
Update - Headlightsdepot only had the RH headlamp assembly with a two week wait for the LH. I purchased a set of CAPA certified TYC headlamp assemblies from Rock Auto for $100 each plus $25 for shipping. I pulled the H11s from the TYCs and used the H11 Phillips Extreme Vision bulbs I had installed in the OEM assemblies to try and correct the problem. They are still halogen projectors and halogen bulbs, though the Phillips EV produce a whiter light than the OEM bulbs without the "bright white" blinding glare. Thanks for the helpful input, guys.
 
Top