Do OEM headlamp bulbs wear out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Mercury Tracer

Original Sylvania 9007/hb5 bulb ink stamped 1998, made in usa. The filaments look crispy and corroded. I will be replacing them after I clean the headlight covers.

My car uses 9006 bulbs and my OEMs lasted over 15 years before one finally went out. I replaced them with Philips Xtreme Powers and while the light output is better, it doesn't really seem to help for rain visibility. I know what you mean about not being able to see the road well in the rain, and I don't really know what would help that aside from fog lights or using your high beams.

Originally Posted By: jorton
99 Mercury Tracer

Original Sylvania 9007/hb5 bulb ink stamped 1998, made in usa. The filaments look crispy and corroded. I will be replacing them after I clean the headlight covers.

I successfully cleaned headlight covers with the walmart kit, installed new bulbs and aimed the lights.

I think the cheap GE bulbs are a waste of money. I like the lights I see on other cars that make white light. Which white bulb is long lasting?

Thanks!

Thank you for the Daniel Stern link.

The headlight reflectors are in good condition so I still think this new GE bulb from walmart is substandard.

I'm not so sure a bulb with clear glass makes better seeing light than one with light blue glass when it makes light that's closer to the color temperature of moonlight(have you noticed how easy you can see at night during full moon?).

Do you know if there's a "white light" bulb that's long life?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back