Advice on possible new laptop purchase............

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to replace my HP a230n desktop (maxed out at 1GB RAM) with a new laptop. My original plan was to purchase a Toshiba (already running a Satellite) with an i5 processor and 4GB RAM from MicroCenter for $800, plus $279+ for the extended warranty.

I came across an ASUS N71JQ at costco. com for $1,199, including shipping and a two year warranty. Using my AMEX card extends the warranty an additional year.

Internet, e-mail, Office 2007/2010, photo editing, and Adobe InDesign would be the major uses. I'm willing to Crucial the RAM to 8 GB way down the road, but I'm not wanting to have to make upgrades every 12-18 months.

Since I've learned a ton of useful computer info on this forum, I'm soliciting your constructive thoughts on this purchase.

Specs:

Processor & Memory:

Intel® Quad-Core™ i7-720QM Processor at 1.6GHz (Turbo Boost up to 2.8Ghz)
6 MB L3 Cache (4GB usable)
1333MHz Front Side Bus (1066MHz RAM speed)
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM (2x 2GB, 8GB max); (2 x SODIMM slots)
Drives:

640GB (7200RPM) SATA hard drive
8x Super Multi DVDRW drive with double layer support
Graphics & Video:

17.3" HD+ LED display (1600x900 native resolution)
ATI HD5730 1GB DDR3 VRAM
Integrated 2.0MP webcam
Communications:

Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Bluetooth v2.1
Audio:

Built-in Altec Lansing speakers
SRS Premium Sound
Card Slots:

8-in-1 digital multimedia card reader (SD, Mini-SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, MS-Duo, MS-Pro-Duo, xD)
Ports:

1x USB 3.0
2x USB 2.0
1x eSATA
HDMI
VGA (15-pin)
Headphone in
Microphone in
1x Express Card
1x VGA
Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Power Supply:

6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
Additional Information:

Color: Dark Brown
Dimensions: 18.4" W x 12.4" D x 1.8" H
Weight (approximate): 9.3 lbs.
Warranty: 2-year Global Warranty, 1-year Accidental Damage Warranty, 30-day Zero Bright Dot Flawless Display Guarantee
(If the purchaser discovers one defective screen pixel within 30 days of purchase, ASUS will replace the panel with no cost to the purchaser)

My only concern is the 9.3lb weight and the potential battery life (or the lack of) if you run mainly off battery. If you plan to bring this thing around, I'd try to keep below 6lb but if you mainly put it on a desk at home, that's fine.

17.3" and 9.3 lbs. isn't very portable. It's a great desktop replacement, but if you're looking for an on-the-go computer, I'd go smaller. It does have a lot of horsepower though.

Yeah, MrH, I agree it's not as portable as my current Toshiba Satellite that has a 15.6" screen.

In terms of battery life, someone told me I should "upgrade" to a 9-cell lithium battery, fully charge it when I first got the laptop, then remove the battery and leave the laptop connected to the AC power source via a surge supressor. That way the battery would stay in top condition when I actually took the laptop on the road and had to depend on the battery only for power.

And, yes, at 9.3 lbs., it ain't going on the road too often.

I've had the battery in my Satellite installed from day one, and although it almost always runs on AC power, I've never noticed a battery issue on the road.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
My only concern is the 9.3lb weight and the potential battery life (or the lack of) if you run mainly off battery. If you plan to bring this thing around, I'd try to keep below 6lb but if you mainly put it on a desk at home, that's fine.

Good point. When I replace my desktop, I will most likely buy a laptop. How does one determine the right screen size and weight to be a desktop replacement and a travel laptop?

I would go with an IBM as far as a laptop, but the Asus ones seem to be alright too.

I7 is certainly a nice spec for a laptop... That's balls right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back