Bought a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merk -- that's a interesting issue I've never heard of or experienced before.

Jealous. As an admin for an IT company there is nothing better than having the right tool for the job.

For some reason a person doing data entry gets the same spec computer as an admin managing infrastructure. I might have 1 mainframe window open, 5 java apps for our backup grids, lotus notes, sametime, several putty sessions and windows opening to online ticketing systems. I thought the 8gb i5 LT i just got would be stellar, but as usual it chugs along.

I think this might do the job....

I hear you on that on. I am an IT Admin for a healthcare company. I have an i7 with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB WD Blue at work. It does OK, but is very performance limited by the 'ole platter drive.

I usually lock it and don't restart months at a time.

redhat and simple_gifts,

:-((((

DITTO

P.S. redhat, congrats on the nice machine. many moons of happy using/enjoying...

Last edited:
Just looking at the specs . . .
That must have cost you a testicle.

Last edited:
Thank you, I got it today and am loving it. It's going to probably be a couple of days until I can try out some games on it. I have an older (ancient by today's tech) Drobo 2 -- it's gonna take many hours to transfer the 300gb worth of game data to the new Steam directory.

Very fast, very well built machine. Doesn't lag or anything dumb.

The new mouse and mechanical keyboard are great as well.

I've been running the same PC since 2008. (Desktop)
Have been upgraded quite a few times. Still using same motherboard, i have changed basically everything else because they stop working suddenly. (PSU, GPU)
CPU and RAM were upgraded to be able to handle modern games and apps.

Loving this laptop. It is very fast and the boot times impress me. I have StartisBack installed and Windows 8 works just fine. The GTX 980M has played anything I have thrown at it flawlessly with graphics settings maxed out. Perhaps I need to get into some games from the past 1-2 years, LOL.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
8GB DDR2 CL5 800MHZ
WD Velociraptor 250GB (Latest gen which was released in 2012)
WD 250GB (Not sure about the model, lazy to check)
AMD R9 280X (Just purchased a week ago)

My GPU died in Jan 1, 2015 and i just bought a new R9 280x. Yes, i know my CPU might be a bottleneck but i dont feel it. Hahahahaha

Original specs were:
Intel Dual Core E2180
2GB DDR2 CL5 800MHZ
WD 250GB Same as the current one
Nvidia 9600GT

Last edited:
Hey that's a nice computer. Some people get all hung up on having the latest generation quad-core. Them Core 2 Quads will still run and are good runners!

How are you liking the R9? Has got to be quite the upgrade to the 9600GT. Better class GPU all around.

To be honest, i am not even sure if it was a good idea to keep running this rig. Things are so old that some parts cost a lot more than the new ones.
The DDR2 ram is like 2x-3x the price of DDR3.

Luckily used CPU's on eBay are an exception. I think this will be my last CPU upgrade, if i ever decide to change anything i will build a new rig.
The R9 280X is running flawlessly. I mean its a beast compared to the 9600GT, its around 6 generations newer.
grin.gif

Before this R9 280X i bought a factory refurbished AMD HD7850 and it started to give me problems after like 6 months of use and died after 13 months. (Jan 2015)
BTW, if you are wondering why i always go for AMD GPUs. Personally, i prefer Nvidia GPUs but they are not the best bang for the buck.
I feel they are more stable, "seems" to last more and their driver support is a lot better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back