Advice for Daily Driver - Extending OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, been lurking on the forum for a while, finally found good reason to join. I have a 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L NON turbo. It is my daily driver, with my total commute being around 100-110 miles each day, 5 days a week (90% highway/10% stop n go city). Not counting weekend trips, I have 3 kids, 2 of which play sports. So bottom line is my OCI (5000 miles) is about every 6 weeks. Sometimes I can push it to 8. I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic, and have chosen the 5000 OCI just because it's been a standard I've kind of lived by. I ran across the threads on here about the M1 Extended Performace, guranteeing 15,000 or 1 year of oil life. Seems like the general consensus is the M1 EP is good for at least 10,000. If I switch to this, I will space out my OCI to at least 10,000 miles or more. I do plan to have a UOA done at 10,000 my first time around.

So what brings me to create this thread is to get some input on what y'all think. Given my vehicle, driving distance and my mostly highway driving, should I attempt to stretch out my OCI to 15,000 without any concern about breakdown? Any advice or pointers?

M1 EP should be fine for 15k, as would the new Castrol Edge EP (gold bottle).

Make sure you use a good filter, like M1, Fram Ultra, or Wix XP/Napa Platinum.

I have never had a UOA done, so I am actually looking forward to it. Oil filters were one area I was looking for some input. Are there specific "extended performance" oil filters? Or are your M1, Fram Ultra, Wix/XP capable of maintaining for the mileage.

I really doubt there would be a need for a special oil filter for 15,000 miles unless the engine had some issues going into it. And buying a premium filter does not mean it will have more media area.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is the car still under warranty?

yes 5yr/60k b-2-b and 10yr/100k powertrain

Originally Posted By: BrettG
Are there specific "extended performance" oil filters? Or are your M1, Fram Ultra, Wix/XP capable of maintaining for the mileage.

Yes, there are specific "extended performance" oil filters.

The M1, Fram Ultra, and Wix XP *are* the extended performance filters. Others include K&N, Bosch Distance Plus, and Purolator Synthetic.

Those filters are all extended performance, as opposed to garden variety OCOD, regular Bosch, Purolator Classic and P1, Fram Tough Guard, standard Wix, Napa Gold, etc.

Does that make sense?

Stay at 8K OCI on M1 while you're still under warranty. Purolator Classic or OEM filter are fine, any filter will work. Experiment after warranty period. Save your UOA money until then.

Originally Posted By: BrettG
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is the car still under warranty?

yes 5yr/60k b-2-b and 10yr/100k powertrain

What are the recommended oil change intervals in your owners/maintenance books?

With a 100k mile power train warranty, you should keep records and not go outside their recommendation until you hit 100,000 miles, then carefully adjust as you see fit.

With the miles you put on, I'm sure 100,000 miles will come before too long anyway, better to be safe and have the protection if you need it during that time.

Last edited:
I used to have that kind of commute and went 12K on SL Mobil1, it came out borderline OK. With M1 EP you should be fine on 15K and regular M1 you should be fine on 10K.

If he's using a good oi, and an extended drain plan CAN NOT void the warranty unless it's the direct cause of a failure..

And before people whine, well i'd rather not have the hassle. Really all you gotta do is say hey, I'll go get a lawyer, and if your using an Amsoil product (in sure other companies are same) they will set the dealership straight..

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
If he's using a good oi, and an extended drain plan CAN NOT void the warranty unless it's the direct cause of a failure..

And before people whine, well i'd rather not have the hassle. Really all you gotta do is say hey, I'll go get a lawyer, and if your using an Amsoil product (in sure other companies are same) they will set the dealership straight..

No doubt many feel the same way, great points.

Many of the products the OP is considering ask you use to follow the manufacturers recommendation.

If 2014 is the same as 2012, it looks like (I checked 2014) normal service schedule for Mitsubishi might be 7500 miles.

7500 miles would get the OP an extra few weeks and not have to worry about warranty.

Again, with the miles OP is putting on, it won't be very long until they are out of the 100,000 miles and can try something different, though 7500 OCI isn't a bad number to use anyway.

Just my couple cents.

Last edited:
Since your engine will be like new clean because you have been using M1 oils, 10K will be a snap even with the reg M1. I've been doing that OCI for 35 years with M1 oils. Also I use MC filters and they are more than capible of 10K OCIs. In fact XM says any filter is fine for 15K with their EP oils.

Filters with better elastomers in the seals and valves will live longer. This usually means silicone rubber, not Buna-N.

Stick with your warranty requirements. Yes, the warranty is still good unless the car maker can prove that your actions caused the damage, but who needs that headache if they stonewall you? Hire a lawyer...that'll cost more than a new engine.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to take the chance and extend my OCI. I am going to have this oil that is in it tested when I change it here very soon. I have read that Blackstone and Polaris are the two best options. I can have it analyzed here at work for free but cannot get a TBN or TAN. As for drawing a sample, do I have to use a pump and draw from the dipstick tube or can I drain it, let it settle in a pan and draw off the top of the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back