Advice for a wash mitt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the last couple years, I've been using some greek sponges that I bought from Advance years ago on clearance for a song. While I think they work great, the ones I still have are starting to signs of wear-that and I think I read somewhere that sponges can scratch paint etc.

So, I was thinking about buying a wash mitt or two...any recommendations from BITOG? Meguiars has a microfiber wash mitt, but I was wondering if there was anything else people liked to use.

The Meguiar's wash mitts work excellent. I however use the microfiber sponges (they are furry like and yellow) I get them at Autozone or Murray's, can't forget which as they are right next to each other.

They work great without damaging the paint. I replace the sponge every few months.

My local Target has these for about $7:

chenillewashmitt.jpg

They've been working wonderfully on all our cars. Can't beat it for that price, even if it does fall apart after a year.

I bought one for the paint, one for the wheels.

I've been using Home Depot Grout Sponges for years (since Autopians started using them a few years ago). They are very cheap (<$2), last a long time, hold the suds, etc. Google it:). At the price, you can have a separate one for top of car, bottom half, cut one in half for wheels and tires, etc. Options are endless. For ONR washes in winter, I use MF towels -- as Optimum recommends.

Originally Posted By: dparm
My local Target has these for about $7:

chenillewashmitt.jpg

They've been working wonderfully on all our cars. Can't beat it for that price, even if it does fall apart after a year.

I bought one for the paint, one for the wheels.

That is a great tip. I've been using the Griots Garage version which I am sure is overpriced. I will try Target.

See if it passes "the CD test". Take an old CD or a blank CD-R to the store. Rub the mitt on it repeatedly -- see if it scratches the disc.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've been using Home Depot Grout Sponges for years (since Autopians started using them a few years ago). They are very cheap (div>

+1 on the grout sponge

The Wookie is a whole bunch of money for an overkill product that harbors a whole bunch of grit that has to be carefully rinsed out of the mitt to prevent damage.

I'm for dparm's recommendation...bought 3 and rotate them between vehicles. They work without flaw.

I have been using microfiber mitts for a while, and before that mainly used chenile. Im surprised that the grout sponge isnt too hard/abrasive, especially when it traps dirt.

Well I bought some grout sponges after seeing reviews on other sites. Havent used them for washing, but did apply sft top water repellent with one. Good sponges to work with and they do carry dirt away.

HD sponges are $1.97 for single and less in bigger packs. Made in Germany:

DEB08400-0EF2-473D-A98E-1133533A2279-403-00000074234BAA85.jpg

I cut one up for my application:

A9726890-685A-445B-95B5-2D52103F7F92-403-0000007428F6A085.jpg

They hold a lot of fluid and ring out easy, so they really are a good thing.

2A16BC78-3FC7-4107-92FF-86EBB971DD87-403-0000007438E4B9AD.jpg

^ Yep - those are the ones. I've been using them for years. They last a long time. I keep 1 for body panels, and another for wheels/tires/underneath rocker panels. I also always have a new one (or two) on hand in case one gets dropped.

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've been using Home Depot Grout Sponges for years (since Autopians started using them a few years ago). They are very cheap (div>

+1 on the grout sponge

I use the plain old cloth mitts but I might make the switch to grout sponge. It has a cult-like following with the detailing forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back