Additives for tranny and transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2002 Jaguar X-type with 170,000 miles. The car has a notoriously bad transmission (not mine so far, but the model) and the transfer case is without a doubt the weakest point on the entire car. This car was Jag's first attempt at AWD, and the car weighs 3500lbs while having a pathetically small transfer case that holds only 900ml of fluid. This t-case in particular is notorious for flexing and leaking under hard acceleration from a stop and overheating of course too.

So, since I bought the car two years ago I have flushed the annonyingly non-serviceable t-case twice with Amsoil Severe Gear, and have done three drain and fills on the also non-serviceable tranny with Amsoil SS Trans Fluid. However, even though I've been taking care of these two items well thus far, I was thinking about adding a bottle of LubeGuard Platinum to my next tranny drain and fill along with some Liqui Moly Mos2 gear additive for the t-case. Both of these products appear to have a great reputation here and elsewhere and I want to stop any problems before they start. What are your thoughts guys?

I wouldn't bother with the platinum and use lubeguard red. They also make a gear oil additive. While I can't speak for it specifically, LGR is some really good stuff and I would imagine their gear oil suppliment would be on par.

I have been reading a lot of what people say about LubeGuard and you seem to validate my opinion of them even more. I didn't know that they made a gear additive.

Originally Posted By: jagtuner28
...I have flushed the annonyingly non-serviceable t-case twice with Amsoil Severe Gear, and have done three drain and fills on the also non-serviceable tranny with Amsoil SS Trans Fluid.

I have a 08 Mazda CX-9 that also has a known issue with the undersized non-serviceable t-case. The tranny is also non-serviceable.

I did the same as you except using RP Max Gear 75w140 in the t-case and RP Max ATF in the tranny. I did a UOA on the ATF and it came back perfect so I'm planning on just doing one Drain and Fill a year from here on. But the t-case is always black thick syrup with lots of shavings on the magnet. Not sure what to do there. Maybe the Lubegard you're asking about will help. I'm I terested to hear what others say.

Last edited:
That sucks about your description of the thick syrup with the metal shavings. That gave me shivers a little bit lol. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Originally Posted By: jagtuner28
I have been reading a lot of what people say about LubeGuard and you seem to validate my opinion of them even more. I didn't know that they made a gear additive.

I have been using LGR in my vehicles for years now and have had very good results. While I haven't seen the gear oil additive on shelves (perhaps some mom and pops have them) but it can most likely be found on amazon etc. Here is the link from lubeguard

http://lubegard.com/~/C-197/LUBEGARD+Gear+Fluid+Supplement

edit - After taking a look I am not entirely confident that it would work for a transfer case but more for a manual transmission. Here is a link for what I was thinking and a lot of responses say they use it for gear boxes with good results:

http://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-30903-Gea...=lubeguard+gear

Last edited:
Very hard to go wrong with Lubegard products IMO.
The platinum atf additive is an excellent product and recommended for your car in the Lubegard chart.
I've been using Lubegard products for a few years now in multiple vehicles with no ill effects and only positive feedback.
Use, drive and enjoy....

Since you are using top quality full synthetic fluids, I would not use ANY additives.

Sump in the x-case is too small to thin/dilute with Lubegard gear fluid supplement.

Nothing wrong with Lubegard Platinum or Red in the transmission(ounce per quart) but isn't needed since Amsoil ATF is excellent.

If your case is trashing Severe Gear, I'd skip the additive and give Schaeffer's 167 a try. Your case seems to have the same problem as some boat outdrives: Not enough capacity, and a lot of heat.

A lot of guys have shown better thermal stability from the 167 than SG, and it is loaded with all the moly and additives you will need.

I can't speak of the automatic transmission, but use either Amsoil Severe Gear or Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. No need for any fancy additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back