Adding Transmission Drain Plug? Silverado

I’m doing some maintenance before cool weather comes. My 2017 Silverado has 60k miles, thinking about a trans filter change and at least partial fluid. There is no drain plug on the trans pan. I ordered a drain plug from Jegs.

I was thinking of finding a spot on the lower side, without internal interference. I also ordered the 1/2” drill bit from Jegs. Any tips before pan removal, magnet cleaning, filter change, then drain plug installation? I plan to keep the truck a good while yet.

If you are going to install a drain plug into a pan without a drain, I would make sure the setup you use is welded in. The last thing you want are possible leaks from just a screw in type plug.

Nobody makes an aftermarket pan for your truck?

I’m doing some maintenance before cool weather comes. My 2017 Silverado has 60k miles, thinking about a trans filter change and at least partial fluid. There is no drain plug on the trans pan. I ordered a drain plug from Jegs.

I was thinking of finding a spot on the lower side, without internal interference. I also ordered the 1/2” drill bit from Jegs. Any tips before pan removal, magnet cleaning, filter change, then drain plug installation? I plan to keep the truck a good while yet.
Assume you have the 6L80e … I have put them on our Tahoe and Z71 (2017/2018) …
A clean spot is the pan corner closest to passenger side front tire …
It drains about 5 quarts on no ramps … I could probably get a bit more out by using ramps in the rear … but it’s just so easy to do with no ramps and I do it every Spring anyway …

Having used these on other GM’s … always find some good copper washers instead of plastic. Doing that, it’s important you drill a 1/4” pilot hole … and take your time with the 1/2” as they can break through hard and warp the thin pan.

I went thru all this with my vehicle.

I ended up doing:
1) Bought an extra Trans Pan on E-Bay ($20.) and had someone 'weld' a Hex-nut (same thread as Drain Plug) to outside of Pan.
With the Hex-nut on outside, there was NO fluid held back.
2) Install some 'extra' Magnets in Pan

I drain and refill once a year.
The Pan I bought on E-Bay came from a Junk-Yard 2,000 miles away / can't beat that Internet.

Last edited:
The one from Jegs has a metal washer, not plastic. I had heard about going with a copper washer. I think I can get it in place where it won’t leak.

There is an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, about $297. I thought putting in the drain plug would be about the same work, less $$.

I’ll check eBay.

Having used these on other GM’s … always find some good copper washers instead of plastic. Doing that, it’s important you drill a 1/4” pilot hole … and take your time with the 1/2” as they can break through hard and warp the thin pan.

Are copper gaskets the preferred gaskets for transmission drain bolts? I was thinking that maybe the type that were metal and rubber combined would be??

001.jpg

The plug I used was from advanced.
Tape the plug inside to the desired spot then put the pan up to check interferance.
Stay off the edged.put the pan on a block of wood and drill thru.
I put red rvt around the nuts and washers and tightened everything up.
On the drain plug I use teflon tape

How does one know for sure what tranny they have? Just looking at new pan options. This is a common crew cab, 2017 4x4, 1500 truck, 5.3 liter gas.

1) Search door pillars and underhood for information placards.
2) Take your VIN to a Chevy dealership and ask them to print out the sheet for your car.
Tell 'em you need to know what transmission you have but you'd love to see all the goodies Chevy built into your truck.

Pick a time of day when it's quiet. If they won't do it for you DEFINITELY go to another dealer and never patronize the first one again for anything.

No pan you want is $297.
Those expensive ones are fancified lunacy for car show wannabes. Buy a "You drill-it" drain plug from Jegs but little else.

1) Search door pillars and underhood for information placards.
2) Take your VIN to a Chevy dealership and ask them to print out the sheet for your car.
Tell 'em you need to know what transmission you have but you'd love to see all the goodies Chevy built into your truck.

Pick a time of day when it's quiet. If they won't do it for you DEFINITELY go to another dealer and never patronize the first one again for anything.

No pan you want is $297.
Those expensive ones are fancified lunacy for car show wannabes. Buy a "You drill-it" drain plug from Jegs but little else.
Or use the VIN to buy filter and gasket … cross reference the gasket shape with the truck and internet
They tend to be unique

Why add that step?

Use the VIN (or any other info source) to determine the transmission type. Then buy a pan-with-drain plug for that transmission if that's what you want to do.

Pictures of parts in catalogs often are inaccurate. The warning, "Pictures are representative-Actual parts may differ" is commonly seen.

Years ago, I added one of those transmission drain plug fittings in order to have a fitting for a transmission temperature sensor. I tried all sorts of gaskets, nylon, aluminum, and rubber. Nylon gave the best results, but it always leaked just a little. A few drops on the driveway now and then.

I would strongly encourage you to buy a pan with a built in drain plug fitting, or to have one welded on.

Unless you like leaks.

I've used a BM drain plug with no problems, mounted on the back of the pan.

Years ago, I added one of those transmission drain plug fittings in order to have a fitting for a transmission temperature sensor. I tried all sorts of gaskets, nylon, aluminum, and rubber. Nylon gave the best results, but it always leaked just a little. A few drops on the driveway now and then.

I would strongly encourage you to buy a pan with a built in drain plug fitting, or to have one welded on.

Unless you like leaks.
Have used 4 … no leaks …

I have a stock of around 20 new drain bolts with built-in rubber washer, thanks to discards at work.

I drill a hole and braze a nut on the inside of the pan. The sealing surface is the flat part of the pan.

No leaks, nothing to come loose.

I searched high and low for a pan with a drain plug already installed for my 6L80E. The ONLY one that exists is the $297 one. Which is what I ended up buying.

Back