Transmission pan magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Chevy Colorado Duramax. I have in my possession a deep transmission pan I may install on this truck. On the stock steel pan, I believe there is one disc magnet in the bottom of that pan.

On the new deep pan it has a magnetic drain plug. I am going to replace that magnetic drain plug with a Dimple high temperature grade neodymium magnet. (I have Dimple brand magnetic oil plugs and they are amazing).

The new pan is sand cast aluminum, has cooling fins and probably 1.5 extra quart capacity.

My question is are there any negatives from not having the pan bottom/floor magnet as opposed to the magnetic drain plug?

I'm no expert but I would think if the plug entered the side of the pan and was near the bottom the effectiveness would be very similar. A bottom threaded plug would likely place the magnet further above the pan's bottom and catch less. Metals don't stay in suspension, they fall to the bottom.

Last edited:
Could you just put the magnet loose in the pan?
Or would OCD worrying not allow for it?
Would you be concerned about it being sucked up and blocking an intake???
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Since the new pan is aluminum, the magnet will not 'stick' to it, and thus will just be in there, loose. My only concern as far as that goes would be "where might it end up?".

That said, the other thing that springs to mind is - how much deeper is this new pan, and will it stick out underneath the vehicle and thus potentially expose itself to impact?

Originally Posted by sohccammer427

The new pan is sand cast aluminum,

You can add whatever magnets to it, just have to epoxy them in place with 2-3 drops

Thanks guys. That's really what I was thinking too. (Not causing any issues) Interesting idea about epoxying the old magnet to the new pan, but I'll just go with the Dimple.

When I changed the ATF on my F-150 the magnet had more or less of a sludge on it. I was thinking the disc might be able to hold more gunk. But the Dimple's are so strong and not affected by heat like regular magnets. So strong that it's a challenge getting the Dimple to thread on my Tdi as the plug is chamfered where the threads start and it wants to pull to the steel threads in the pan. :)

Of course the best would be to epoxy the magnet to the drain plug but you already addressed that.

As mentioned epoxy to the inside of the pan then put a piece of steel sheet metal to the outside below where the magnet is. If the steel falls off, then the magnet has disintegrated.

Home Depot has several different strengths of epoxies.

You will already have the most important solids control device known to automatics … The drain plug … and magnetic at that. I'd swap the pan volume on a nice day each spring time and motor on …

Any idea what micron the factory filter is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back