Adding Mos2 to Redline Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Redline 20W50 in my 1989 Porsche 944S2 with 153,000 miles. I've read some great things about the oil and I picked up a case (12 quarts) on eBay for ~$60.00. I like the oil, but I have noticed that my oil consumption has remained the same if not gotten a little worse compared to the Mobil 1 0w40 I was running previously. Based on how it is burning oil, I cannot justify the cost of Redline oil for it. I was wondering if it is a good idea to add some Lubri Moly MoS2 to it. I know REDLINE states that they add quite a bit of moly to the oil, but some people on here state that the Moly they use and the MoS2 is quite different. Is this true? I ordered 1 300mL can from NAPA and I am contemplating putting in half of it.

Thanks!
Justin

Red Line and Lubro Moly MoS2 are quite different types of moly. The stuff in Lubro Moly MoS2 will plate onto the metal, where the stuff in Red Line isn't really going to do that.

Red Line has been noted to cause a little usage on the initial changeover, give it a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Red Line and Lubro Moly MoS2 are quite different types of moly. The stuff in Lubro Moly MoS2 will plate onto the metal, where the stuff in Red Line isn't really going to do that.

From what I understand MoS2 also tends to fall out of suspension.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Red Line has been noted to cause a little usage on the initial changeover, give it a few thousand miles.

From what I understand MoS2 also tends to fall out of suspension.

I've run MoS2 in several vehicles, with absolutely zero evidence of it falling out of suspension, or being trapped in the filter.

Try a thinner oil. If your rings are causing the oil use thinner oil can actually help. It goes against conventional wisdom but Shell has run tests and found if rings are the cause of oil consumption a thinner oil can help. Oil use cased by problems with valve guides and seals can be helped with thicker oil. MoS2 might help, it did with my mower that was burning oil.

Do your motor oil temps reach 275 degrees or higher? Red Line Oil recommends to drop a weight down when using their oils. 10W40. I remember their brochure states that if oil temps do not reach 275 degrees F or higher then use 10W40 instead of 15W50 or 20W50.

Nice car . Redline is pretty good oil as is Mobil 0w-40 though different. Give the Redline oil some time before adding anything to it Call Redline oil they like their customers and have an 800 number it is 1-800-624-7958

How many qts in that system? Sometimes Porsche has huge oil systems.
I'd use the whole Lubro Moly bottle and stop using 20-50.
You may need TWO bottles, depending on the amount of oil in the system.
HDEO 15-40 would be better, 0-40 M1 best [but you PAY!].

Thank you everyone for the answers!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
What do you want the moly to do? It's not going to lower consumption. As long as you understand that then go for it. It's overkill in a big way.

I was hoping it would quiet my engine down a bit and reduce consumption.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I have about 2,000 miles on the oil. Thanks for the heads up on the usage.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Try a thinner oil. If your rings are causing the oil use thinner oil can actually help. It goes against conventional wisdom but Shell has run tests and found if rings are the cause of oil consumption a thinner oil can help. Oil use cased by problems with valve guides and seals can be helped with thicker oil. MoS2 might help, it did with my mower that was burning oil.

I think I'm going to switch to M1 10W40 when I change the oil next. A lot of people with 944s recommend 20W50 (it's a bit heavy.)

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Do your motor oil temps reach 275 degrees or higher? Red Line Oil recommends to drop a weight down when using their oils. 10W40. I remember their brochure states that if oil temps do not reach 275 degrees F or higher then use 10W40 instead of 15W50 or 20W50.

I don't have a temperature gauge like the 911s do, so I am not sure. I know when it is warmed up the oil pressure gauge stays at about 3 bar at idle when it is ~70 degrees out.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Nice car . Redline is pretty good oil as is Mobil 0w-40 though different. Give the Redline oil some time before adding anything to it Call Redline oil they like their customers and have an 800 number it is 1-800-624-7958

Thanks! I already have ~2,000 miles on the oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
How many qts in that system? Sometimes Porsche has huge oil systems.
I'd use the whole Lubro Moly bottle and stop using 20-50.
You may need TWO bottles, depending on the amount of oil in the system.
HDEO 15-40 would be better, 0-40 M1 best [but you PAY!].

I believe it is ~6.7 quarts of oil. I think I may go back to Mobil 1 with this car, due to it being a bit cheaper and easier to get in CT. When I have a car that doesn't burn oil, I'll run Redline (I like the fact that its a group V.)

I'll try the MOS2 and update you guys on what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sharky944S2

I believe it is ~6.7 quarts of oil. I think I may go back to Mobil 1 with this car, due to it being a bit cheaper and easier to get in CT. When I have a car that doesn't burn oil, I'll run Redline (I like the fact that its a group V.)

I'll try the MOS2 and update you guys on what happens.

I think the M1 0W40 and the MoS2 might just be the ticket, and best bang for the $$$$$$. Keep us posted!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think the M1 0W40 and the MoS2 might just be the ticket, and best bang for the $$$$$$.

^^^That thar sounds like a plan!
thumbsup2.gif

You don't need a 20w50 in the 944...I race a 944 and oil temps rarely exceed 220 degrees...I do have an external Setrab cooler but keep in mind that the engine is running at 5000-6000 RPMS for sometimes hours on end if we do an enduro. I doubt a street driven 944 would see 220. We run Redline 10w40 with an occasional quart of the RL straight 10 weight race oil thrown in.

I have really good experience with Lubro Moly MoS2 additive. It actually made my engine run smoother and quieter, after about 150 miles there was a feeling that my car lost some weight,and it's easier for engine to spin.
I've heard only good about Lubro Moly products and oils. And will try it one by one. And it actually might reduce consumption a little, but I'm not sure 100% that Moly was the case.
You may also try their new gen super anti friction additive called Ceratech. I know only 1 website that would sell it in US.
I heard a story from a trusted person, that it was added to messed up running engine,and it quite down like in 10 sec. After 2 weeks it started making noises, but it had serious mechanical damage already done to it.
It is expensive. But I'll try it in my car, when I'm done with cleaning engine.
website: http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store/liqui_moly_products.html

Last edited:
And yeah, my current fill oil might work better for you. It has lots of moly, and is almost same color as additive you ordered. Use full bottle, for 5q you need to put 250ml, bottle has 300ml.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
You may also try their new gen super anti friction additive called Ceratech. I know only 1 website that would sell it in US.
I heard a story from a trusted person, that it was added to messed up running engine,and it quite down like in 10 sec. After 2 weeks it started making noises, but it had serious mechanical damage already done to it.
It is expensive. But I'll try it in my car, when I'm done with cleaning engine.
website: http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store/liqui_moly_products.html

The only suspected problems with that stuff (Ceratec), is possible coating of the spark plug electrodes.
Again, this is not 100% confirmed/proven, but it has been mentioned more than once on this site/forum section.

might be, will check it on my own. My plugs got foiled ones already( have been for about 5 month in the car,sludge issues,in mid of desludge treatment). Cleaned it, everything runs good. Even if it will cover it and mess them up, it's not a such big of a deal to change them out,even if it's hard to reach in my case. Following logic it won't cover electrodes,because spark will burn it of immidiatlly. Iridium ones for sure.

I would without any hesitation use Mobil 1 HM 10W40 oil in your car. Great add pack and one of Mobil's best oils... Run it for 3-4K miles and see what you think. After one OCI you could go to a longer OCI of 7-8K miles. Very good oil for your application.

I would not run an HM oil for a 7-8k OCI on a car that is not only prone to sludge developing, but whose owner already has a moderate case of it. Even after the cleanup. My manual specs 5k OCIs, and with the original owner following that - save for one missed OCI where it went 8k instead of 5, it still developed mild sludge and moderate varnish buildup. And the 1ZZ-FE is not a known sludger, which this Camry is.

Once its cleaned out, I'd stick with 5k or 6 months with dino or HM. If using a decent synthetic (with a good detergent & dispersant package) then I'd stretch it out to maybe 8k. This was discussed at length in a UOA thread with a similar sludge prone Camry whose UOAs with good synthetic were showing that beyond 8k the oil was really getting beat down. He along with the rest of us in that discussion decided 8k on a clean engine with a good syn was optimal for Camrys of this gen.

Edit: that response was written on the assumption it was in reply to the one above it.
-Spyder

Last edited:
After a clean up, I would think the Mobil 1 HM 10W40, which is a full syn, would perform well in this application. Of course I am assuming a clean engine after a short OCI of 3K miles... If it is sludged up, then he has other issures that need to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back