Adding MMO after Regane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a bottle of Regane in my tank about twice a year, roughly once every 10,000 miles. I add 6 oz. MMO to every fill-up the rest of the time. I always fill up when my tank gets down to 1/4 tank and that is always right around 15 gallons, give or take half a gallon. I have a 22 gallon gas tank on my truck.

I added Regane to my tank today and I started thinking, if I run this Regane tank down lower than 1/4 tank, maybe to 1/8th tank which means I would have about 2 gallons left in the tank, logic would say add about 8 ounces of MMO on the next fill-up, since it would take about 18 gallons of gas and I dose at a rate of 4 oz MMO to each 10 gallons of gas.

But what about the 2 gallons of gas in the tank that would still have some concentration of Regane in it? I wonder if it might be best to run this Regane tank out as far as I can, maybe even run it down to just one gallon left in it and re-dose my tank again with 8 oz of MMO plus a little more, maybe a half to one ounce when I fill it back up? I don't like running my fuel tank that low but I could do it once or twice a year I guess.

This would bring the tank back to the correct MMO dose. When I first started using MMO I added 8 ounces plus a little extra to dose the whole tank, then on all the subsequent tanks I just added the corresponding dose to however many gallons of fuel it took to fill up.

What do my fellow MMO users think about this scenario?

Thanks.

By running your the tank lower will allow Regane more time and miles to clean your fuel system/injectors/engine. Just getting more out of the Regane. Once its diluted with MMO and fuel it will be a lot less effective.

You're over thinking this Jimmy :). Run it down to where there is 2-3 gallons of gas left add your MMO, fill up and drive. The nice thing about MMO is there is no problem with it and FI cleaner in the tank at the same time. I got this info from Rich Kelly.

I don't like to run a gas tank to low, even if I added a FI cleaner. It's not worth the risk IMO. If you are not sure on the MMO dose because you've run the tank a little lower than normal, add the 6 oz of MMO you typically add and then dose the extra gas after the fill up. The first driveway apron and full stop you make will mix it in.

Thanks for the info here. I will probably just fill up and add MMO like always when I get down to 1/4 tank and add an extra couple of ounces just to make up the difference from not adding any MMO today. It won't hurt anything. I know the Regane is a great FI cleaner but the tank with Regane in it always seems to get worse gas mileage so it shouldn't be too long until I fill up agaian.

I don't know where your fuel pump is located, but I know in my car it is located inside the fuel tank and is cooled by the fuel. Running on empty, or even below a sufficient reserve to keep the pump cool, is (on my car) a good way to overheat the pump and cause a potential failure and expensive repair.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I don't know where your fuel pump is located, but I know in my car it is located inside the fuel tank and is cooled by the fuel. Running on empty, or even below a sufficient reserve to keep the pump cool, is (on my car) a good way to overheat the pump and cause a potential failure and expensive repair.

-Spyder

I tried to add a "thumbs up" to this but it placed it at the title line. NEVER run fuel injected cars below 1/4 tank--junk in the tank, plus you will definitely risk ruining your fuel pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spyder7

-Spyder

My fuel pump is in the gas tank. That is the reason I never let the tank get below 1/4 before filling up again. The gas in the tank keeps the pump cool and helps it run without any additional stress. And even though the filter and screen are on the bottom of the pump, keeping the tank at least 1/4 full reduces the chance of getting dirt or debris sucked up into the pump.

I already replaced my fuel pump earlier this year. Not because the pump was bad but the check valve in the fuel pressure regulator went bad. My truck ran OK and had 49 psi of fuel pressure at idle but it was hard to start after sitting overnight or even for just an hour. It would take nearly 10 seconds of turning the ignition key to start it, because all the fuel would bleed back out of the fuel line due to the bad check valve. It's a common problem on Dakota fuel pumps.

The fuel pressure regulator is an internal part of the fuel pump assembly, so I just replaced the whole fuel pump assembly. That's one of the things I like about MMO is it keeps the fuel pump clean and lubricated, so the new one should last a long time.

I just recently ran a heavy dose of Regane(20 oz bottle treats 18-35 gal's) in my wifes car(20 gal's) followed by MMO. And I will use MMO again, and again with each tank of gas prior to winter. Than before the next OCI, I may again do the same thing, IDK!

My low fuel light came on today after work, so at the Shell station I added 8 oz MMO plus a little more. Then I filled up, it took almost 17 gallons of fuel and my truck ran great on the 15 mile trip home, just like it always does with MMO.

Now I will just go back to adding 6 oz MMO and filling up at 1/4 tank like I always do. My truck runs great with MMO in the gas, but I did get 1 MPG less from this tank with the Regane dose in it.

Thanks for all the help here.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
My low fuel light came on today after work, so at the Shell station I added 8 oz MMO plus a little more. Then I filled up, it took almost 17 gallons of fuel and my truck ran great on the 15 mile trip home, just like it always does with MMO.

Now I will just go back to adding 6 oz MMO and filling up at 1/4 tank like I always do. My truck runs great with MMO in the gas, but I did get 1 MPG less from this tank with the Regane dose in it.

Thanks for all the help here.

The one and only time I popped a CEL (multiple misfire) was the only time in the last several thousand miles I'd filled up with no UCL or Regane (engine also didn't sound right after that fill, and before the code popped). I reset the CEL using my Scanguage, and then added MMO. That was a few weeks ago, and no re-occurrence since. I can't state for certain that the CEL was related to the lack of the non-treated gas, but it was also the only time since I began using Regane and UCLs that it sounded like it did. Maybe the CEL was pure coincidence, but I stick with a UCL every tank now, unless I'm running a Regane cycle.

What code did you get?

I discovered with my Jeep if I try and top it off after the pump stops pumping I can throw a CEL code for a small leak in the evap emissions system. EG: Pump stops at $29.32 and I pump it up to $30.00 I might get a CEL code. If I pump up to $29.35 I'll have no problems. Cap is on tight and there are no leaks in the system. Some cars don't like to be over filled.

I never top off when I fill up my gas tank. I don't know about other cars or trucks but topping the tank off like that will ruin the evap system's charcoal canister on my Dakota and definitely throw a code and CEL.

But as I was headed home today I turned down my radio and just listened to my engine for about 5 miles. I couldn't help but realize that my Dakota runs really well for its age. It may not be the fastest truck on the street but it runs super smooth and quiet, has a nice even idle and has good power for a 3000 pound truck with a 175 hp V6. It gets good gas mileage too.

I am really proud of how my truck has held up and how well it runs, and I glad to have been able to take such good care of it. MMO helps keep it running great and like I have said many times, my only regret I wish I had started using MMO sooner.

Uh, your Dakota weighs a lot more than 3k pounds. The base model 01 4 cylinder regular cab weighs 3400 curb weight. Most are 3800 - 4200, maybe even a bit more with the V6, depending on cab size and options, etc.

By comparison, my Jeep weighs about 4200.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Uh, your Dakota weighs a lot more than 3k pounds. The base model 01 4 cylinder regular cab weighs 3400 curb weight. Most are 3800 - 4200, maybe even a bit more with the V6, depending on cab size and options, etc.

The certification label on my door jamb lists the GVWR at 3100 pounds.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

The certification label on my door jamb lists the GVWR at 3100 pounds.

But I am still wrong. After checking the GWVR code by using my VIN and Dakota FSM, the GVWR is listed at 5001-6000 pounds. Sorry for my mistake. But the truck does run very well for its age, no matter how much it weighs.

I never top off when I fill up my gas tank. I don't know about other cars or trucks but topping the tank off like that will ruin the evap system's charcoal canister on my Dakota and definitely throw a code and CEL.

Same for this car. Once the pump clicks its gotten all the gas its going to get. On a couple occasions this has resulted in less than a full tank (pump cut off too early), but better that than a ruined charcoal canister. Pain in the butt to replace and easily avoided by not topping up.

-Spyder

Keep in mind, GVWR is max rated weight with a full load of cargo. Subtract the payload (also listed on the sticker) from the max GVWR, and that should (in theory), give you the curb weight of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I just recently ran a heavy dose of Regane(20 oz bottle treats 18-35 gal's) in my wifes car(20 gal's) followed by MMO. And I will use MMO again, and again with each tank of gas prior to winter. Than before the next OCI, I may again do the same thing, IDK!

Well, maybe not! I made that statement above ^ just over a week ago.

Last Sept, 2009 I replaced both of the A/F Ratio Sensors in my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300(original) with new sensors. As I mentioned last year(Sept 2009) in a post here at Bob's, that I was using MMO in the fuel per fill up and thought that the MMO may have caused the failures to both sensors at 60K miles(2 weeks apart). Only later to read in some of the "Reliability Reports" and issues of this particular vehicle that, 02 & A/F sensors were on top of the problem list along with sludging engines and failing trannys. Now, after replacing the A/F ratio sensors one year later almost to the day, I have a CEL.

As I mentioned, I have recently added a dose of Regane Complete FSC and then over to MMO. The engine does run better as I must have needed a good injector cleaning.

Well, now I have a CEL! I'll need to get it coded at AAP or AZ for free and see if it's those same sensor(s). I may have to stop using MMO in this engine as it may be causing the sensors to trigger the CEL and if so, I think that I have an isolated case because I use the same doseage in my '04 Altima(as do many others here at Bob's) and never any issues...But, I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth!

I just want to add that the CEL may be something else entirely and if it is the sensors, maybe a fresh tank of fuel w/o MMO will cause the CEL to turn off. The sensors may not have failed and may actually be doing their job and triggering the CEL.

We'll see!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back