Adding Lubegard Bio/Tech to motor oil - what happens, does it get diluted?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89374

Hmm, what happens when you add Lubegard Bio/Tech to your motor oil? An even better question: if you add a 15 oz. bottler, do you remove 15 oz. of motor oil from your oil change or you add it on top of that? Now, if you have a 7-quart capacity then it might not be a big deal, but if you have something like a 1.5T Honda that takes 3.7 quarts, then the diluting 3 quarts of oil is not the same as diluting 3.7 quarts of oil. That's including the filter by the way. Also, what happens to such a low amount of 0W-20 motor oil in a Honda when you add half a quart of Lubegard? Hmm, mixing a brew of Lubeoil... 😋

There used to be a member here that according to his signature lived close to the Lubegard plant. Haven’t heard from him in a while. He always kept bringing up Lubegard in the discussions.

"DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Add 3 oz. of Bio/Tech for every quart of motor oil to the crank case. Can be added at any point in motor oil life. For best results, add to fresh oil during oil change. 10 oz. bottle treats one 3-1/2 quart system. 15 oz. bottle treats one 5 quart system."

There used to be a member here that according to his signature lived close to the Lubegard plant. Haven’t heard from him in a while. He always kept bringing up Lubegard in the discussions.
@boxcartommie22

"DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Add 3 oz. of Bio/Tech for every quart of motor oil to the crank case. Can be added at any point in motor oil life. For best results, add to fresh oil during oil change. 10 oz. bottle treats one 3-1/2 quart system. 15 oz. bottle treats one 5 quart system."

@boxcartommie22

I added a 15 oz. bottle to 7 quarts of 0W-40 in my RAM 1500. Per instructions I'm supposed to add 21 oz. The question is though, do I add it to the 7 quarts or do I take out 21 oz. of motor oil first when I do my next oil change? I mean, that's over half a quart of additive that I'm adding to the oil, and IMHO it's not insignificant. Or will the additive carrier slowly but surely evaporate or burn off? The instructions aren't very clear about that.

I added a 15 oz. bottle to 7 quarts of 0W-40 in my RAM 1500. Per instructions I'm supposed to add 21 oz. The question is though, do I add it to the 7 quarts or do I take out 21 oz. of motor oil first when I do my next oil change? I mean, that's over half a quart of additive that I'm adding to the oil, and IMHO it's not insignificant. Or will the additive carrier slowly but surely evaporate or burn off? The instructions aren't very clear about that.
You should never exceed the oil capacity for the vehicle. 21 ounces of Lubegard is used in place of engine oil.

I've got the smaller 10oz bottles for my 2019 Ram classic with hemi. I'm shorting myself from the recommended dosage some, but I figure some magic is better than no magic. LOL. Given I use 5qt jugs of oil, I'll just short my motor oil by ~10oz when I add it, even though 10oz short or too much is nothing when you're talking a 6 or 7qt sump.

I've got the smaller 10oz bottles for my 2019 Ram classic with hemi. I'm shorting myself from the recommended dosage some, but I figure some magic is better than no magic. LOL. Given I use 5qt jugs of oil, I'll just short my motor oil by ~10oz when I add it, even though 10oz short or too much is nothing when you're talking a 6 or 7qt sump.

I wonder if it helps and improves wear or if actually damages anything. I am looking for improved wear protection. I just changed the oil on my 2018 Santa Fe Sport and added 15 oz. of Lubegard to 5.28 quarts of Castrol EDGE 0W-40. I premixed Lubegard with the oil, and the oil filter that I'm using holds 8 oz. of motor oil, so I'm basically overfilled by 8 oz, however, knowing what I know about this motor from a Hyundai tech who replaced many of these engines and tore a few apart, it can actually hold 6 quarts. The engine already ran smooth with the Castrol, but upon startup it was even quieter at the top. The valve train seemed less noisy. My first taught was "placebo", but then I remembered that I put the Lubegard in expecting nothing. So is it just my imagination, or does this stuff actually work? I did some math and I added 200ppm Moly, 300ppm Phosphorus (wasn't looking for that), 160ppm Calcium and 12ppm Boron (if it even matters) to my oil. I wonder if it will mess up my TBN or not, I am looking to do a 7500 mile OCI in this fill.

The million dollar question. Unfortunately we will never know the answer.

I completely agree! I'm not into oil additives, however, I didn't don't have the best engines in my vehicles either. I'm just trying to maintain them as good as possible so they last. I saw the VOA from 2018 for Lubegard here on the forum and I went for it. I figured that adding it to Castrol EDGE 0W-40 would be a good choice. I premixed it and 15 oz. of Lubegard Bio/Tech actually turned 5 quarts of Castrol blue. Ha! Take that Royal Purple :p - Blue Castrol!

After running through the engine it's the oil is amber-colored on the dipstick.

What I am wondering is:
  • Is Lubegard Bio/Tech changing (lowering) the oil viscosity at operating temperature?
  • Does it displace existing additives in the motor oil, and what I mean by that, is that I'm wondering if ZDDP and other additives are powered when their ppm is measured in a given quantity of oil? Let's say you have 5.73 (8.5 oz oil in filter + 160 oz motor oil + 15 oz Lubegard Bio/Tech) quarts of oil (it's what I got in the engine) and 0.47 quarts of that is Lubegard. Now let's say that Zinc in 5.26 quarts of that oil is 1000ppm, will it become 918ppm Zinc in 5.73 quarts of oil? Or am I doing the math wrong?
  • Are there any negative side effects of adding the recommended 3 oz of Lubegard per quart to motor oil?
  • Can the existing additives in motor oil clash with Lubegard? What happens in the motor oil already has some Moly in it? How will it work with the Moly in Lubegard? What about Calcium, Phosphorus, and Boron, which Lubegard also adds to Motor oil? How will the motor oil chemistry interact with the Lubegard Bio/Tech chemistry?
I asking all these questions because I want to keep this vehicle for a long time and get to 200,000 miles with it. The Hyundai 2.4 GDI engine wasn't Hyundai's finest work so anything I can do to get the most out of this engine is a plus. Other than oil, coolant, filters, and spark plugs there isn't much I can do from a maintenance point of view. I also maintain the rest of the vehicle like tire rotation, brakes (gotta love the crapy parking brake - you have to take the real weels of to adjust it properly, cable adjustment bottoms out easily).

Hyundai has finally replaced the 2.4 GDI Theta II engine with a 2.5 GDI SmartStream motor. I test drove a Sonata with that engine (did an extended test drive), and while it still feels like driving an NA diesel from the 90s, it is smoother than the 2.4 and the fuel economy has also improved. It might have something to do with going to a 14:1 compression ratio. However, that doesn't help me, lol.

I also know the conventional wisdom on BITOG is that a fully formulated motor oil shouldn't need anything added to it. I completely agree with that. I didn't add Lubegard to the oil thinking that I would improve the oil, I added it thinking that I can decrease the wear of my engine by a little bit more if that makes sense. @MolaKule set me straight on oil additives and the complexity of motor oils. The only reason why I tried Lubegard is that I read good things about it on this forum and that I haven't seen any opposition to it here. I tried and contacted Lubegard with my concerns, however, I got the usual dumbed-down marketing response back.

@MolaKule if you have a couple of minutes to chime in and let me know if I'm doing this wrong or not I would really appreciate it. After I put the Lubegard in the engine I felt a bit bad and guilty telling myself that maybe I shouldn't have done that. On this vehicle, I also want to increase the OCI from 5000 to 7500 miles because it will see more highway miles soon.

I wonder if it helps and improves wear or if actually damages anything. I am looking for improved wear protection. I just changed the oil on my 2018 Santa Fe Sport and added 15 oz. of Lubegard to 5.28 quarts of Castrol EDGE 0W-40. I premixed Lubegard with the oil, and the oil filter that I'm using holds 8 oz. of motor oil, so I'm basically overfilled by 8 oz, however, knowing what I know about this motor from a Hyundai tech who replaced many of these engines and tore a few apart, it can actually hold 6 quarts. The engine already ran smooth with the Castrol, but upon startup it was even quieter at the top. The valve train seemed less noisy. My first taught was "placebo", but then I remembered that I put the Lubegard in expecting nothing. So is it just my imagination, or does this stuff actually work? I did some math and I added 200ppm Moly, 300ppm Phosphorus (wasn't looking for that), 160ppm Calcium and 12ppm Boron (if it even matters) to my oil. I wonder if it will mess up my TBN or not, I am looking to do a 7500 mile OCI in this fill.
If eight ounce over fills ruined engines, there'd be a lot of ruined engines out there.

If eight ounce over fills ruined engines, there'd be a lot of ruined engines out there.

I'm not worried about that, lol. Actually that engine can hold safely 6 quarts of oil, I know that from a Certified Hyundai Technician that took apart several of these 2.4 GDI motors. In fact, his exact words were: "Do you want to keep your car for a long time? Then make sure you keep plenty of oil in there. It holds up to 6 quarts, don't worry about the owner's manual."

Last edited by a moderator:
What a confusing thread. First off you said you don’t believe in additives but you used one anyway. You agree that a good quality motor needs nothing else but you make the excuse that you added the Lubegard to decrease wear. In addition, you added the Lubegard and then asked all these questions. The prudent way would be to ask the questions first before doing anything.

Is the Lubegard going to hurt the engine? Probably not. Neither would running a quality motor oil.

What a confusing thread.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm here to learn more about various subjects concerning lubricants and the only way to do so is by asking questions.

Back