Adding Fluid to Sealed Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Trans

LTX1050VT.

Hydrostatic trans is dripping fluid. Still works fine, but I prefer to be proactive.

I can see where there's a vent plug, but aside from that, it's a "sealed unit that requires no servicing."

Anyone ever add fluid to one of these?

Also, what'll happen if I just let it leak? Will it just stop moving once it runs out of fluid?

On top of the transaxle there will be a plug that accepts an alen wrench. You can add fluid through the plug. Should require a 20W-50 oil.

Just ridiculous that every transaxle doesn't have a fill and drain plug no matter what the price point .

Some other brands don't have a threaded plug, you have to pull a rubber button out and fill through there.

Not sure if there's a plug for an allen wrench. It DOES have the rubber plug with a tiny vent hole - not sure how I could get any fluid through that though, it's only about 1/16" in diameter.

my homeowner ZTR drives have a flat allen plug that's approximately 1/4" allen key, no drain. The opening is about 1/2" around.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Not sure if there's a plug for an allen wrench. It DOES have the rubber plug with a tiny vent hole - not sure how I could get any fluid through that though, it's only about 1/16" in diameter.

You pop out the rubber plug and pour the fluid in there.

It the hydrostatic drive will stop moving the mower once the oil level gets too low. Problem is, it may stop moving it permanently in the process. I'd give the unit a good cleaning and watch carefully where the oil is leaking from. Axle shaft seal?

Originally Posted by JTK
It the hydrostatic drive will stop moving the mower once the oil level gets too low. Problem is, it may stop moving it permanently in the process. I'd give the unit a good cleaning and watch carefully where the oil is leaking from. Axle shaft seal?

+1

If it runs out of fluid it will stop moving but also overheat and eat itself in the process. If there is a seal leaking I would fix that ASAP, since there is usually no dipstick or sight glass on these transmissions to indicate the fluid level.

my homeowner ZTR drives have a flat allen plug that's approximately 1/4" allen key, no drain. The opening is about 1/2" around.
I have a ltx1046. The hydro leaked alot of fluid. It has the allen boss at the top near the fan and also a plastic vent container. What level should the transmission fluid be at? Looking in the hole i can see some of the components. Should it be full?

Back