Adding ester oil to engine oil DIY idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ester based engine oils like Redline and Valvoline Premium Blue Restore clean up engines on the inside. and offer less friction and heat.
I was wondering if you can add in ester oil yourself like this product made for compressors, and do it cheaper and get the same benefits.
Esters stick better to metal surfaces, so adding in some ester is a good thing.

Then there is this ester Lubegard product.

You can use whatever oil you want. I would consider using the specifications recommended in the OM. Buster has great advise!

That compressor oil is usually expensive, and you'd be missing a few additives in the process. Why not just get a PAO based motor oil in the proper viscosity and use that? Like Buster said.
MAYBE something like this:
Or the products you mentioned.

Ester based engine oils like Redline and Valvoline Premium Blue Restore clean up engines on the inside. and offer less friction and heat.
I was wondering if you can add in ester oil yourself like this product made for compressors, and do it cheaper and get the same benefits.
Esters stick better to metal surfaces, so adding in some ester is a good thing.

Then there is this ester Lubegard product.
A bad idea. This is a specific ester oil for AC compressors.

Not all esters are the same and each type of ester has a specific application. This ester is not suitable for mixing with engine oils.

Certain esters may be used in engine oils but other base oils and specific DI additive packages are included in formulated engine oils.

Don't be misled into thinking that Redline or other oils are majority ester-based.

Last edited:
Would the hyperlube zinc replacement product, be an ester additive?
This is a third party additive, a polymer ester chemistry.

https://www.hyperlube.com/product/zinc-replacement-additive/ (ZRA)

Look at the charts below, specifically the Nissan KA24E engine valve train wear with and without the ZRA: This third party additive is compered to the wear figures of a 10W40 (1100 ppm zddp) with and without the addition of ZRA.

Now, if they wanted to make their case for reduced valvetrain wear, why not use a 0W20 or a 5W20 (~ 750 ppm zddp) with and without the addition of ZRA?

I have no doubt it will reduce wear in certain mechanical components, but I think their figures are too optimistic for the current low viscosity engine oils.

I am thinking add in 15 or 16 ounces, not run the engine on pure ester oil.
The description says it mixes with mineral oils
So get the ester oil benefit at lower cost.
2432 FJC Estercool Oil Quart
PRODUCT OVERVIEW:
ONE OIL FOR ALL APPLICATIONS An all-natural Ester oil, that contains additives which give it the ability to lubricate and protect the system at the same time Can be added to any existing R-12 or R-134a mobile A/C system with Mineral, PAG, Paraffin or Ester Oil

I am thinking add in 15 or 16 ounces, not run the engine on pure ester oil.
The description says it mixes with mineral oils

2432 FJC Estercool Oil Quart
PRODUCT OVERVIEW:
ONE OIL FOR ALL APPLICATIONS An all-natural Ester oil, that contains additives which give it the ability to lubricate and protect the system at the same time Can be added to any existing R-12 or R-134a mobile A/C system with Mineral, PAG, Paraffin or Ester Oil

Not all esters are the same and each type of ester has a specific application. This ester is not suitable for mixing with engine oils.

Certain esters may be used in engine oils but other base oils and specific DI additive packages are included in formulated engine oils.

Don't be misled into thinking that Redline or other oils are majority ester-based.

What deficiency with your current motor oil are you attempting to correct?

PRODUCT OVERVIEW:
Do you understand the applications/implications of the above statement?

Do you have any technical data to refute what I stated below?

Last edited:

This ester oil would mix with engine oil regardless of the designed use. Not that I would use a lot mixed in. significantly cheaper than the Lubegard.

This ester oil would mix with engine oil regardless of the designed use. Not that I would use a lot mixed in. significantly cheaper than the Lubegard.
Water mixes well with my shampoo but "mixing" is not the point.

That LubeGard contains a specific ester formulated with additives.

Again:
PRODUCT OVERVIEW:

I only have a minor in Chemistry so I have to always be careful I do not overstep my bounds. In that regard I'll have to stay out of the remainder of this discussion, but if I were going to randomly add an ester to my oil I'd add amyl acetate. It has a pleasant smell (as do many esters) and I know for a fact it is miscible with other hydrocarbons.

I only have a minor in Chemistry so I have to always be careful I do not overstep my bounds. In that regard I'll have to stay out of the remainder of this discussion, but if I were going to randomly add an ester to my oil I'd add amyl acetate. It has a pleasant smell (as do many esters) and I know for a fact it is miscible with other hydrocarbons.
buy a small bottle of ester cool and put some into engine oil, and see what it does.

High Performance Lubricants makes a fully formulated 100% ester base oil, with a full add pack, meant to be added to an oil as a cleaning/flush oil. I posted a VOA of it on here a while back. It's called High Performance Lubricants HP SAE 30 EF. The viscosity is right on the cutoff for a 20 and 30 grade so it can be add to both without drastically altering viscosity.

High Performance Lubricants HP SAE 30 Engine Flush Rerun - Redacted.jpg

buy a small bottle of ester cool and put some into engine oil, and see what it does.
But we already know what it will do. It will dilute the fully formulated oil and alter the performance in a way is is not cost effective.

If additional polyol ester would be a cost effective benefit for the formula, the manufacturer would have done it themselves. They like making money. Getting such an "easy" performance boost would be a no-brainer for a formulator.

That being said, blenders can get polyol esters at significantly less cost than the product being asked about here and it still is not a cost effective means to improve performance. So if getting it at bulk cost is not cost effective, buying it at a retail markup certainly is not going to be cost effective.

If you have a legitimate need for adding ester to an engine oil, great. But your reasoning appears to be "because ester" which doesn't hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back