Adding Chevron Techron after oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I own a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t with 22,500 mi and in excellent condition. When purchased from the dealer had around 18k mi. Just yesterday I got an oil change using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic.

I have since been reading about the benefits of adding Chevron Techron to the gas tank in order to keep fuel injectors etc clean and free of gunk. While I don't suspect my engine parts to be ridiculously dirty I am still curious to try this product as the majority of the reviews have been very good in terms of small performance increases and improved mpgs. However the prevailing usage theory seems to be that this product should be added to the gas tank *before* an oil change as adding it after can lead to the "gunk" somehow potentially mixing in with the new oil.

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this theory or can I go ahead and add it despite having just changed the oil?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Add it, it won't do any harm. If it were bad, everyone would need an oil change after filling up at a Chevron station.

The only effect on oil it should have would be on a car that has fuel contamination but on your car that should not be a factor

99.999% it will not effect engine oil whenever you add fuel system cleaner.

I agree with widman that I do add Techron before yearly oil change because It would be easier to remember.

The theory that I heard was not that the gunk will contaminate your oil, but that the heavier solvents in the fuel cleaner will contaminate your oil. I doubt there is really going to be enough contamination to matter, but I still add it before an oil change. I'm sure adding it after an oil change won't do any harm.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
The theory that I heard was not that the gunk will contaminate your oil, but that the heavier solvents in the fuel cleaner will contaminate your oil. I doubt there is really going to be enough contamination to matter, but I still add it before an oil change. I'm sure adding it after an oil change won't do any harm.

And those heavy solvents will boil out of the oil in very short order.
Isn't gasoline a solvent.
Like I said,its a non issue.

Originally Posted By: jetsetter883
While I don't suspect my engine parts to be ridiculously dirty I am still curious to try this product as the majority of the reviews have been very good in terms of small performance increases and improved mpgs.

Since your car is both reasonably new, and doesn't have much mileage on it, exactly what benefit do you expect to get if you add a fuel system cleaner to a car that already has a clean fuel system?

Think about that for a minute.

If your car is running well, and your fuel system and combustion chambers are already clean, because the car has been running perfectly so far, exactly what are you going to clean by using the cleaner?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: jetsetter883
While I don't suspect my engine parts to be ridiculously dirty I am still curious to try this product as the majority of the reviews have been very good in terms of small performance increases and improved mpgs.

Since your car is both reasonably new, and doesn't have much mileage on it, exactly what benefit do you expect to get if you add a fuel system cleaner to a car that already has a clean fuel system?

Think about that for a minute.

If your car is running well, and your fuel system and combustion chambers are already clean, because the car has been running perfectly so far, exactly what are you going to clean by using the cleaner?

BC.

Bladecutter, as indicated I don't have any hard evidence that my car needs this, but in the event that it could help 1% with performance its worth it to try, especially for the small price paid and given the fact that I won't be adding it again for a good 4 - 6 months since I don't add a tremendous number of miles to my car on average. If there's even a 50% chance it could make a minor difference, then to me the small price paid is worth it.

But truthfully I occasionally notice some hesitation and other (slightly) peculair behavior with my car.. nothing to be alarmed over but figured why not?

Any other recommendations for slight performance increase? I hear octane boosters are pretty much snake oil.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about Techron leftovers in the oil either.

I also agree that your car is awefully new to benefit from a fuel treatment - BUT maybe not? Perhaps it sat for a while somehwere and the fuel degraded the injectors slightly. Who knows?

FWIW and YMMV but the only time I use a fuel additive is right after I buy a used car. Because I just don't know about it's history. After that, it's all just straight pump fuel. The last two cars I've owned that I was able to see the intake valves, told me I didn't need to worry about extra additives.

The while there are solvent carriers in Techron the principle active ingredient is PEA, which is NOT a solvent but a detergent.

Even so the solvents are mild and include kerosene, and a stoddard solvent.

The important thing is use the product as directed by Chevron and you will have NO issues at all.

The age of the vehicle is pretty much irrelevant. It's the quality of fuel used.

My thinking is that buildup occurs right away...
at what rate? dont know..

but you have 2 folks..
1-drives the car and never adds Techron. buildup slowly starts accumulating- and at say 60,000 miles- now has a a good amount of buildup- which is affecting say MPG's. Lets say carbon buildup and clogged injectors. His car is no longer running smoothly so to speak.
he would require a service visit.

2-drives the car and adds Techron every now and then. any accumulation- will be cleaned away. and so keeps the parts cleaner than if not used. his vehicle operates better- and MPG's are nice. No need for a service visit...

I like #2. keep the problem from appearing by keeping stuff clean....

anyone else see it this way?

I also use Techron on the tank of gas before an oil change...since this is also when I clean throttle body, check air filter, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rbarrios
My thinking is that buildup occurs right away...
at what rate? dont know..

but you have 2 folks..
1-drives the car and never adds Techron. buildup slowly starts accumulating- and at say 60,000 miles- now has a a good amount of buildup- which is affecting say MPG's. Lets say carbon buildup and clogged injectors. His car is no longer running smoothly so to speak.
he would require a service visit.

2-drives the car and adds Techron every now and then. any accumulation- will be cleaned away. and so keeps the parts cleaner than if not used. his vehicle operates better- and MPG's are nice. No need for a service visit...

I like #2. keep the problem from appearing by keeping stuff clean....

anyone else see it this way?

I also use Techron on the tank of gas before an oil change...since this is also when I clean throttle body, check air filter, etc.

Your scenario #2 is exactly what my thoughts were. Why wait until any buildup accumulates before adding something like Techron? Might as well use it for preventative maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back