Adding Bluetooth

JHZR2

Staff member
I hate the look of aftermarket stereos. I have a number of older cars that have OE stereos and that sound good enough.

Ive tried fm broadcasting modulators with Bluetooth which work well enough, but I’d like to do better. One option might be a wired gm modulator. On my old 83 300D I had in the early 2000s, I had that setup, and I could power the antenna down, isolate the signal to my wired in modulator and my 6-cd changer, and it was good enough. That would take a wired gm modulator and a Bluetooth receiver of some kind.

The other option I thought about was, does an amplifier that has two inputs (one line level and one preamp level or whatever it’s called would be OK)? Alternately, I guess I could do one amp, one speaker level input set, and a two way switch that let me select the head unit or the Bluetooth receiver. Volume for the Bluetooth source would be controlled by the phone that is streaming.

What of this is a reasonable option? I’d think that a decent digital amp with four outputs would be easy enough to connect to the various four speaker audio systems I have (not on my 350SD, I know it has an amp for each speaker at least in the rear), and just splice back into the stock wiring. While I know stock wiring is sometimes frowned upon, I’m not one for playing audio particularly loud, so I’m not sure it would matter.

Thoughts? Ideas??

Last edited:
there are companies that can add in BT or a line in jack to your original headunit..

don't have any links handy, but they are out there.

there are companies that can add in BT or a line in jack to your original headunit..

don't have any links handy, but they are out there.
I know. But it gets really expensive and not all installs are clean or great.

I had Becker do it on my Europa manual tuning deck. The aux in works great. But it costs $$. And lots of shipping which adds risk and cost when you pack things tight. It’s certainly an option. But I’m weighing my options. I’d like to get a solution for my new Ram, so that’s why Im exploring.

In my 300CD and 350SD I use broadcasting modulators. On my 240D with the Europa cassette, I have a USB dongle that converts Bluetooth to the aux in port.

So I just need to figure the next way to go.

Some folks disable the cassette and use that input for Bluetooth. That’s a good idea.

I did buy a backlit Bluetooth retrofit on eBay and it’s not that impressive in terms of sq. This why I’d rather do it myself or find a cheaper solution, I’m returning the unit that someone retrofit BT as it wasn’t a great job.

There are amps that have BT built in. Kenwwod has one.

Check on Amazon. There are add on BT modules for radios.

I tried a bunch of junk, and ended up adding a AUX in myself - relatively simple.
Find where all the stereos go to the amp/line area, insert a jack that is 2 channel short when unused, opens and inserts 2channels in use. I had a factory radio, mount the jack in the (glued shut) cassette door.
Another option worth considering is a headless system - may be what shrooms suggests. Basically if the phone is always the source, you don't need AM/FM/'Tone'/BAL/FAD, etc. (just a good data plan)! The amp/speaker sys can handle the BAL/FAD/some Tone.

if you have a tape deck you can get bluetooth to tape adapter.

or headphone jack to tape.

What kind of vehicle is this for? Are you just looking for music or phone calls as well?

I could probably get you a SMOKIN deal on a Bluetooth Cassette adapter*.
bought one for my nephew's '99 F150, only to find out the factory stereo didn't work at all.
he's bought a more modern headunit since....

( *as in I'd send it to you free, provided I can get it from the nephew. it only cost like $20 from Mr. Bezos Emporium in the first place...)

What kind of vehicle is this for? Are you just looking for music or phone calls as well?

82 Mercedes 300cd (may get Becker to do the Bluetooth mod)
91 Mercedes 350sd (same)
96 Dodge Ram

Primarily the dodge. I think the $279 kenwood unit looks about right, but I’d prefer to find the $50 DIY solution…

I prefer a wired hands free headset when making calls in a vehicle. Blocks more sound out. These are old vehicles and not as well insulated as modern ones…

91 Mercedes 350sd (same)
96 Dodge Ram

Primarily the dodge. I think the $279 kenwood unit looks about right, but I’d prefer to find the $50 DIY solution…

I prefer a wired hands free headset when making calls in a vehicle. Blocks more sound out. These are old vehicles and not as well insulated as modern ones…

Check out iSimple ISFM2351. It's a wired FM modulator and the least evasive way to add Bluetooth and keep the factory radio.

Screenshot 2021-09-13 185526.gif

Kinda pricey, but looks stock. I didn't look carefully, internal amp is so-so.

Last edited:
91 Mercedes 350sd (same)
96 Dodge Ram

Mine was a Dodge too - found a picture on the web of where to cut/insert..
$25 bluetooth to AUX works better than my '16 Dodge with factory BT.

After many trials, no FM or tape gear matched an AUX for SQ.

@JHZR2 - your idea should work if as you say the amp has multiple inputs. If for instance you feed “speaker in” from the oem HU and then use a BT converter on the line in side, it would do what you’d want. There may be some signal level things to work out, as the BT converter will probably be a 1V signal and the amp could be 2-4, but the amp gain might also be adjustable high enough to get what you want. Balance and fade would have to be something you worked out independently. You’d also need to make sure the amp could be energized without the HU.

I might hook it all up on a bench and test it out before drilling holes and running cables.

ive had particularly good clarity from nulaxy br04 Bluetooth converters here at home - I have 2, they are BT 5.0 and are very clear; notable improvement over BT 4.

in the end though, it’s a good bit of work when a well-sorted HU could provide hands-free calling and Apple CarPlay (or android). I’m with you, strongly, however, for how oems simply integrate backlighting and ergo better than aftermarket.

m

Back