Adding a spin on tranny filter/filter magnet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking to install a spin on type filter to my 04 Buick w/ 4T65e. I currently have a magnefine filter on it, but would like to ultimately install a spin on type filter. I would put it on the cooler feed line.
So what mount should I get for it? Are there any details I should pay attention to when buying it, other than the return and feed line fittings on it? Also what type of filter should I buy?

And what is the deal with "filter mags" I hear about on here? Do people somehow put a magnet on their oil filter? Not even sure if the filter should need a magnet, is the filter media not fine enough to catch the fine metal sludge these transmissions produce?

Thanks

PS I have a shift kit on the transmission 2, 3 shifts, and plan to install a shift kit on 4th gear and replace PCS, which should speed up shifts and thus reduce [censored] to filter.

How many miles on the tranny? Is the trans new ? What has the tranny had as a filter for the past years?

Never had a filter until I bought the car at 50k miles, the fluid has been changed twice due to changing it once then again with a line off exchange when I had to drop the pan to install the shift kit.

Last edited:
I installed a spin on ATF mount/filter. I got some strong, high temp, flat button neodymium magnets and put them in the space In between all the filter holes and screwed the filter on. I'll see what they catch after about 10k or so and put it back on.

What's wrong with the magnefine? Basically the same size element as the spin on filter and magnet setup as on my 7500 below.
I have had them on my wife's Mazda 3 for about a 100k know and they work well.

Originally Posted By: 3311
What's wrong with the magnefine? Basically the same size element as the spin on filter and magnet setup as on my 7500 below.

There is a thread in the Transmission Filter Sub-Forum that ford deemed magnefine ineffective. Magnefines are more effective than the pan filter, spin on is better than magnefine a and if you the best, plump in a bypass filter with a magnet

Sounds like you're on top of it. I've got about 10k or less on my triple edge 4T65e, the oem transmission was banging gears hard for over 2 years 30k miles I'd say. Tough little unit it was still shifting hard when I drove it to the shop although when really hot it would rarely slip indicating the clutches were toast. Almost 200k miles on that transmission, so now both the engine and transmission have been replaced.

These transmissions love Maxlife, DexronVI or any Amsoil atf.

If you use a remote spin on I recommend a Fram Ultra with its 99%+ efficiency at 20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns with 32 grams holding capacity they are top shelf and should easily pull 30k intervals on the transmission.

See my thread one down in this sub forum about allomatic transmission filters

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ter#Post3690689

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Originally Posted By: 3311

There is a thread in the Transmission Filter Sub-Forum that ford deemed magnefine ineffective. Magnefines are more effective than the pan filter, spin on is better than magnefine a and if you the best, plump in a bypass filter with a magnet

I would certainly disagree with that. I have had one on my wife's Mazda 3 which is a ford for the last 115k miles after flushing the rancide factory fill at 50k miles and they have done an exceptional job ever since. The fluid(maxlife) looks new and the filters are full of junk when I take the apart. I need to change I when I can actually since the one on the has about 40 k on it.

Magnifine media filters to 35 microns. They claim the magnet picks up 99+ % of metal particals. 50% of wear particals are said to ne metallic.
That's real good but it leaves a lot of non metallic particals.
A spin on filter that filters to 5 microns at 50% will eventually filter the majority of 5 and greater microns. Its
believed that most wear is do to particals between 5 to 10 microns.
That leads me to believe a spin on filter will filter better than an inline magnetic filter. It will also filter microns larger than 5 greater than 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back