added Zerex Asian Formula to green coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Question: Can Zerex Asian Formula (red, 1 pint) be mixed with green antifreeze (factory coolant, full system, empty recovery tank)?

The Story: Last oil change I found the recovery tank empty, so I dashed to the local car part store and bought what I assumed would be the best antifreeze for an Asian car like a Subaru.

What I missed was the line that said it was for Asian cars using red antifreze, and I focused on the list of manufacturers which included Subaru.

I discovered it was not green when pouring it into the empty recovery tank. It only took a pint to get to the mid-point between Add and Full.

I was concerned that these two antifreeze would not work together, and that I would need to drain and flush the system. I could not find the answer on the Zerex gallon jug or on their site.

I started a chat session on the Valvoline site. Here is the answer:
Matthew 6:44 PM
If you have the original equipment coolant in the car, you should be fine. It's probably just the difference in dye packs.

So that's a relief. Or is it? I assume Matthew is an expert, but did he lead me astray?

Thanks!

Now all I'm worried about is where the antifreeze disappear to? Less than 6000 miles ago the level was between the marks in the recovery tank. Looks like the car used more coolant than it did oil between oil changes this summer.

Zerex Asian Vehicle can be used with ANY P-HOAT based antifreeze-whether it is blue Nissan, red Toyota, pink Toyota-or GREEN Mazda. If you continue to lose it, a rent-a-tool pressure tester or combustion gas leak detector kit might be needed to see where it's going.

'If' as you state the "green" AF is the FF, using ZAF wouldn't cause an issue. Suby "green" would be the older shorter service interval AF. ZAF in the red or blue tint be ok to mix. Suby has now gone to newer longer service interval blue PHOAT that like ZAF comes as a premix.

As noted, the bigger issue is where the AF is going now. Might want to google your year/model and losing antifreeze or coolant and see what you get.

Thank you to all who replied.

This is a 2016 Outback, built in June 2016 (after the steering recall).
It looks green to me, or did before I added the Asian Formula red. It may be Blue.
Subaru was listed on the jug, and that was why I bought it.

Now the larger concern - where did it go? This is my second Subaru. The first was a 2003 Forester, and it had head gasket issues starting around 90K miles. Out of warranty, external leak of coolant and oil. Replaced head gaskets at 160 using a local subaru shop. Failed again at 230, combustion leak. Sad because I realy liked the car.
If I see disappearing coolant it will go to the dealer to be checked for exhaust gas in the coolant.

Subarus use blue coolant. Last weekend when I was at the part store I noticed that Asian Zerex came in both blue and red bottles and both colors had the same specs so it is probably just a feel good for the buyer as far as color goes.

Originally Posted By: wildLoon
Subarus use blue coolant. Last weekend when I was at the part store I noticed that Asian Zerex came in both blue and red bottles and both colors had the same specs so it is probably just a feel good for the buyer as far as color goes.

The feel good being the tint matches the vehicles oem AF tint. Which since most just do a radiator d&f with the majority Asian AF premixes makes sense. ZAF added the blue tint likely because Nissan and Subaru went from a green tint to blue premix and Honda Type II been that way from awhile. I'd assume the red-ish tint ZAF kept many from buying it for those makes. Of course even though it's the same stuff, generally speaking the blue tint costs more than the red. And ZAF red/pink tint can be found in WM as Valvoline Asian Vehicle, $12/gal.

Thanks again, wildLoon and SayJac. After a few weeks the color in the overflow tank is a blue/purple. It is near the same level as it has been since I added the pint, so this may be a hot weather issue. I will continue to keep an eye on things, though I felt like I was checking more with my 03 Forester since it used a quart or oil every 1000 miles or so.

Price Point is appreciated. The price was $2-3 more at the local O'Reily's store, but they are much closer to home than WM.

"Subarus use blue coolant. Last weekend when I was at the part store I noticed that Asian Zerex came in both blue and red bottles and both colors had the same specs so it is probably just a feel good for the buyer as far as color goes."

This. I researched this a while back. Identical formulas except for the dye pack. I use the Zerex red (pink, really) for my 2 Toyotas as well as my old Hyundai (I had been using an old green coolant, but my mechanic flushed it and used Zerex Asian, which worked out well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back