Added water now battery won't charge!

I went down this road recently added distilled water.. battery appeared dead. tried to charge it. no go. but I added water because it was not holding a charge so well and at the point it was too late....

long story short a new 890 CCA battery later all is well.

I was also over 6 years on that battery and it worked all the way up until it didn't. And that's no exaggeration within hours it went from really good, to not even turning on the interior light.

I have a 5 year old Walmart Everstart battery in my Honda Element. it was no longer holding a charge. It would charge up but then it would drain right after I took the maintainer off of it. I checked and the cells looked low to empty so I added distilled water and now it won't take a charge at all. My battery tender now says bad battery and won't even allow dash lights to come on. I tried putting a regular, straight (non tender) 1 amp battery charger on it for 2 days and nothing. Did adding water kill it for good?
No, that wasn't it.

I went down this road recently added distilled water.. battery appeared dead. tried to charge it. no go. but I added water because it was not holding a charge so well and at the point it was too late....

long story short a new 890 CCA battery later all is well.

I was also over 6 years on that battery and it worked all the way up until it didn't. And that's no exaggeration within hours it went from really good, to not even turning on the interior light.
This is what my battery did. Everything working perfectly, starting with no problem. Then last week I get in to leave and battery is dead. I throw on the charger/maintainer. It charges it up. Next day after taking it off charger, it's dead again. Charge again, drive around for 15 minutes. Next morning, dead again. Checked water, it was low. I add water and now it won't even take a charge. I figured battery was toast but never had this experience before. Bought a $49.99 rebuilt battery and now all is well.

What's that? For $10 more you can buy a new battery at Walmart with a year warranty.
Not around here. The battery that fits my Element costs $149.84 (Everstart Maxx 51R) at Walmart and $109.99 for a 51R Interstate Battery from Costco and I can't find one any cheaper anywhere else. All the auto part stores want more than $149 and everywhere else as well that I have priced. Where are you finding that price? I called all around and looked online and couldn't find a new battery for cheaper than $50.

The rebuilt battery place I got my battery has been around for over 50 years. They have a one year guaranty and we've bought several batteries from them over the years and they've all lasted at least 5 years.

Last edited:
The 51R is in a weird position. It is the same battery my tractor takes and I have the same problem. A few years ago you could find them for $99 but they were always in the higher warranty class like the Maxx. I could never find a base or Value one, never knew why.

The 51R is in a weird position. It is the same battery my tractor takes and I have the same problem. A few years ago you could find them for $99 but they were always in the higher warranty class like the Maxx. I could never find a base or Value one, never knew why.
I used one of these for $30 plus $5 for terminal adaptors. The one I bought said 300 CCA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ize-U1R-12-Volt-230-CCA/16795214?athbdg=L1103

5c9e84cf-d0a5-4168-9b58-50cb9cac3423.3ee2ce08a3daa4661dbbd0d6cecbd314.jpeg

I used one of these for $30 plus $5 for terminal adaptors. The one I bought said 300 CCA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ize-U1R-12-Volt-230-CCA/16795214?athbdg=L1103

5c9e84cf-d0a5-4168-9b58-50cb9cac3423.3ee2ce08a3daa4661dbbd0d6cecbd314.jpeg
That's good to know! I don't know how much difference it makes but I'm in Denver and we get several days of below zero weather during winter and the battery I replaced had 500 cca and I presume the rebuilt battery I got has similar. Walmart used to have a budget 51R car battery with 230 cca that was about $50 last time I looked a couple of years ago but I'm not finding that anymore.

Back