ADBV needed if filter is vertical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Purolator's website look-up does not list an app for that Impreza.

But a Forrester with the same engine does. Go figure.

Advance Auto look-up lists:
Bosch Distance Plus OIL FILTER-DST.PLUS
Part No. D3300

K&N Filter
Part No. HP-1015

Mobil1 Oil Filter
Part No. M1-108

Motorcraft Oil Filter
Part No. FL816
Height: 2.68; Inside: 2.75; Outside: M20 x 1.5

Part No. D3300

K&N Filter
Part No. HP-1015

Mobil1 Oil Filter
Part No. M1-108

Motorcraft Oil Filter
Part No. FL816

Thanks for checking, but I believe none of these has the 23PSI bypass setting. It appears the OEM is the only one with both the ADBV and the 23PSI bypass.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
would you get the same amt of oil pressure with or without adbv?

Yes

Originally Posted By: Seguino
Part No. D3300

K&N Filter
Part No. HP-1015

Mobil1 Oil Filter
Part No. M1-108

Motorcraft Oil Filter
Part No. FL816

Thanks for checking, but I believe none of these has the 23PSI bypass setting. It appears the OEM is the only one with both the ADBV and the 23PSI bypass.

After seeing the flow vs PSID data from Purolator on the PureONE, I really don't think a Purolator filter needs the 23 psi bypass setting. PureONEs usually have a 14 to 16 psi bypass setting. Maybe the OEM filter does for some reason (ie, more flow restrictive or maybe loads up faster and the PSID increases more due to loading).

Originally Posted By: labman
Maybe. If it is a good tight system, the column of oil between it and the pump could pull it out in a siphon.

FWIW, I have tried with my wall mounted filter holder to see of I could get oil to siphon out of a thread-up filter after I disabled the ADBV entirely with an Exacto knife.
I never could get the oil level much below the threads, even with extreme siphon situations.

As far as I'm concerned the filter orientation makes no difference. The siphon action of the oil doesn't care what the orientation is, only that there is some oil up high that wants to go down. The siphon continues until an air break stops it. I've watched oil drain through the filter media over a long period of time into an oil disposal container so it can do the same thing in an engine though it probably takes longer because it needs to draw against all the oil films.

My 1994 Grand Am 2.2L SOHC Quad 4 uses a side facing filter and apparently the drain back problem is so bad that GM added an oil check valve into the block.

There's something about engines that make them fast drainers but I don't think the filter orientation is it.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned the filter orientation makes no difference. The siphon action of the oil doesn't care what the orientation is, only that there is some oil up high that wants to go down.

Agreed, however the topic is typically revolving around keeping the filter full ..which was never the primary function of the ADBV. That's not to say that some don't attempt to use this to their advantage. Vertical orientation assures that the filter will be pretty much full for the very reasons you state.

Originally Posted By: labman
In a later post I pointed out that once air made it into the top of the filter, the siphon would break.

Yes. I think I quoted the wrong one. Sorry.
I was agreeing with you.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back