ADBV, Headers, Mess, Smoke, Your Thoughts ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
An exhaust header on my GM V8 lies about 2 inches beneath the oil filter. The header is wrapped. I have used Baldwin B6HPG filters in the past. They have no ADBV but I was not terribly concerned as the filter hangs vertically. No big mess when changing the filter because there was no ADBV to suspend oil above it. I primarily use P1s now and oil spills everywhere when I remove filter presumably because ADBV is holding oil above it. My wrapped header gets oil soaked every time and I have to live with some smoke for a while until oil burns off. My question is, in a GM V8 where the filter hangs vertically, how important is the ADBV?

Gary, are you lurking out there? Any thoughts? I always enjoy readng your well thought and well described opinion.

Quote:

Can use use a plastic baggy over the filter while you remove it? Might save the oil spillage. Ed

...or wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil from the kitchen while changing the filter?

The SBC always called for a standard filter, no need for one with an ADBV as the oil will not drain out of the filter given the posistion it is in, thats the only reason for the ADBV (keep oil in the filter when the engine is shut off if the filter sits in a postition that will allow oil to drain out).

Alex.

Go with whatever resolves your dilemma. If you want to get fancy, clamp a metal shield (hose clamps through slots) to the header so that you can effectively clean it off after the service. It shouldn't effect your wrapping. Aluminum flashing is easily formed with tin snips. SS clamps do the rest for rattle containment. Then it's just a squirt from a can of brake clean (which may also be effective on your wrapping).

Umm, if a different filter causes a mess, then there is oil being kept above the filter area. Just because an automaker determines that an ADBV isn't needed, doesn't mean it isn't needed. So, the theory that a vertical filter does NOT need an ADBV is wrong.
I also wouldn't want gravity to pull oil backwards through the filter rinsing all the wear back, only to blast through the engine during a cold start when filter bypass is open.

I would stick with the pureones. The oil mess you get is the volume of oil that isn't in the engine with every start using the OE filter. Why wait for oil pressure at every start?

If you're tired of the mess, get a remote oil filter kit.

I think you answered your question yourself. Although some people think oil doesn't drain out of a filter that is vertical, apparently the oil line above the filter can. You engine proves this. Having less time before oil starts flowing into your engine is a good thing IMO. Why anyone would go out of their way to buy a filter without an ADBV makes no sense to me.

As for oil getting on the exhaust, seems like a small price to pay for a good benefit. Don't you get oil all over your front U-joint as well? Put up a piece of cardboard to deflect the oil?

He has a header wrap, you don't want a flamable liquid to get soaked into it.

SBC's have survived for years without an ADBV. If its as simple as using the originally specified PF35 instead of a PF1218 so be it.

As for sucking the dirt out of the filter... Yeah...

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back