Acura TLX

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_4

I test drove a new TLX the other day. The 2.4L 4 cyl with the 8 speed dual clutch auto with torque converter start. Tech package. I liked the trans in sport mode. Sport plus made it seem like a track day setting. Quick shifts using WOT. Eco mode made it feel like a real slush box. Engine sounds good when revs build. Typical 4 cyl sound at idle. Any opinions on Honda's direct injected engines yet? Two screen dash, I can be open minded about that. Seats, ergo's seem good. Lane keeping assist, tugs at the wheel to keep you in the lane. Not a lot of feel under normal conditions. I think it is just ok. I will admit that coming from a BMW E92 with a manual trans, the Bimmer is more of a pure drivers car. I am not really interested in the new BMW F30 series of cars. All turbos. But the TLX is tempting, will it have Honda/Acura reliability? Anyone else driven the new TLX and have any opinions?

Doesn't one/some of the acuras have turbos too? I get it that you are looking at the 2.4.

Interesting that there is a DCT with TC - sounds like the best and worst of both worlds. Have you test driven an accord sport for comparison? Id imagine it is a much better value with fewer gadgets to fail.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Have you test driven an accord sport for comparison? Id imagine it is a much better value with fewer gadgets to fail.

Plus, it can be had with a manual trans, from what I understand.

Doesn't one/some of the acuras have turbos too? I get it that you are looking at the 2.4.

Interesting that there is a DCT with TC - sounds like the best and worst of both worlds. Have you test driven an accord sport for comparison? Id imagine it is a much better value with fewer gadgets to fail.

The Accord is overloaded with "gadgets"....

I have driven both Accord Sport manual and TLX 4cylinder. The TLX I liked due to more quietness and nicer Acura touches. Accord simply for engine/manual coupled to a decent sedan.

That does seem like the way to avoid the complaints of "Hey my automated manual transmission acts like a manual transmission!"

I've had several Acuras over the years (Legend, RL and TL) with hardly any problems. For more of a driver's car, I would think the new TLX 4 cylinder with a manual transmission would fit the bill. It's a new model, but I wouldn't fret about the reliability, save the V-6 A/T.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I would think the new TLX 4 cylinder with a manual transmission would fit the bill.

If it existed.

My son has an 2014 Accord Sport, with a CVT however. (That's what got me thinking about the Acura.) I have driven the Accord Sport a more than a few times, and I generally think the car is ok. Just seems a little on the big side for me. I do not really like the CVT, the way the transmission responds to engine throttle input. That would be a deal breaker for me. I did not think about the manual Accord, to be honest. Maybe I should go try one. I do like the small touches on the Acura, and the interior better. I like my 328xi coupe, just would like 4 doors this time. And the miles are getting up, which means repairs become more likely. Guess I need to go look at a gently used BMW E90 (sedan) also.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I would think the new TLX 4 cylinder with a manual transmission would fit the bill.

If it existed.

My bad. I knew it was available on the TSX. Didn't realize they scrapped it on the replacement model. Maybe a Mazda6 with a manual is an option?

I have a V6 TLX and I kind of wish I had the 4cyl. The V6 is sublimely smooth and powerful under acceleration; it's downright fast, especially from a roll. The dual-screen dash is something that takes getting used to but after driving it for two months and then getting into my wife's MDX for a long drive at Thanksgiving I found myself annoyed by all of the small dimly-lit buttons and wishing for the touch screen. The car is incredibly quiet inside, more than any Acura to-date and encroaching on Lexus territory in this regard. My problem with the V6 is I can feel the VCM (variable cylinder management) system when it's engaged via a slight vibration/rumble in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal. Apparently not all of the V6s do this but Acura is aware that some do and is working on a fix. If I had it to do again I might be in the I4. The engine needs a little more juice but that awesome DCT makes up for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back