Acura / Honda 3.1 ATF Fluid alternatives?

Has anyone personally tried Amsoil ATF in lieu of the crazy expensive Acura 3.1 fluid? I'm tempted to try it but looking for someone who has first hand experience doing so.

Has anyone personally tried Amsoil ATF in lieu of the crazy expensive Acura 3.1 fluid? I'm tempted to try it but looking for someone who has first hand experience doing so.

Honda/Acura 3.1 ATF is just ZF Lifegaurd 9 in different packaging, Maxlife is recommended for both Honda/Acura 3.1 ATF and ZF Lifeguard 9 so I would use it with confidence.

I'm trying Redline D6 ATF in my 2018 Honda with the 9 Speed (ZF 9HP48) with 94k miles. Honda serviced it at 36k with 3.1 ATF. Redline website lists the following OEM compatibility on their website.

Honda/Acura Acura Type 3.0
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep ZF 8/9 Speed
BMW ATF 3+

If Mopar 8/9 and Honda/Acura 3.1 is simply rebranded Lifeguard 9, then it should be just fine.

I'll follow up with results.

Drain and fill with Redline D6 complete. Shifts are noticeably smoother especially from 1st to 2nd. I'll post any issues (if any) at a later date but so far so good.

Drain and fill with Redline D6 complete. Shifts are noticeably smoother especially from 1st to 2nd. I'll post any issues (if any) at a later date but so far so good.
Thanks for letting us know! The ZF units aren't known to be picky about the fluid. Redline, Valvoline, and Castrol have been used quite a lot in the ZF 5,6,8 s

ZF Lifeguard 9

No, I think Mopar’s is the 8. 8 and 9 are different color.
1676481120957.jpg

Just curious, what color was the fluid everything still good?

I just did a spill and fill on my 2020 Ridgeline with LiquiMoly TopTec 1800 which lists Honda ATF Type 3.1 on the label. Everything working very well.

Back